Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > hi! i'm a new switcher. how i...

hi! i'm a new switcher. how i...
Pablocoral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2003, 05:54 PM

Hi guys. I'm a new switcher.
I like Mac OS X except one thing:
Can i put the menubar on the bottom of the screen?

A friend told that the macintosh had a shorcut to move some items (ALT and drag) but it seems that don't work.

Thanks,
Pablo Coral

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2003, 05:56 PM

As far as I'm aware, it's not possible.

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Pablocoral:

A friend told that the macintosh had a shorcut to move some items (ALT and drag) but it seems that don't work.

Thanks,
Welcome to MacWorld. And, I know this wont be possible on OS X. Unless you'd want to turn upside your monitor? haha.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2003, 06:38 PM

Welcome to the Macintosh desktop metaphor. You'll get used to it.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2003, 06:56 PM

Why would you want it on the bottom? The dock is on the bottom, which is like the Windows taskbar; and the menu is on the top of the screen, close enough to how windows applications have menus at the top of the application window (I prefer Apple's single menu to Windows' multiple menus)

Ratm
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 07:23 PM

I think this little app can help the transition....ex-windows user meet launchbar.

http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/index.html

Keep these sites bookmarked.
www.macupdate.com
www.versiontracker.com

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 07:44 PM

Thanks,
No alt key on a Mac, friend. You mean option? Or maybe command?

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2003, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
Hi!

Actually, on my Apple Pro keyboard, there's the word "alt" printed on the option key.

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
My Option Key says "alt" on it (as well as "option". Why doesn't yours?

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
My Option Key says "alt" on it (as well as "option". Why doesn't yours?
I think what he ment is that Mac users don't say "alt" we say "option"

Pablocoral  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2003, 07:59 PM

Thanks for help.
I bought a new iMac and i think that is the most cool computer in the world. But, after 2 weeks i'm kinda disapointed with the system because i can't put the Macos in my way. I really like the dock but i would like more a system with theme support.
Pablo Coral

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2003, 08:38 PM

some people do themes on mac os x - have a look here:

http://forums.macnn.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=94

klinux
Senior User
Sep 4, 2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Why would you want it on the bottom?
Uh, the same reason why some people don't want their docks on the bottom? It's all about choices...
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 10:07 PM

Thanks for help.
I bought a new iMac and i think that is the most cool computer in the world. But, after 2 weeks i'm kinda disapointed with the system because i can't put the Macos in my way. I really like the dock but i would like more a system with theme support.
If you want to do anything in the Mac OS, most likely you will not hit option (alt) but rather the command (looks like an apple) and a key. Apple has one of the best OSes that can be controlled by keyboards only.

Stuff I'm using currently to give my Mac the feel I want,
LaunchBar
Path Finder
WeatherPop
CPU Monitor
MU.menu
Desktop Manager
Xounds
Fruit Menu
WindowShade X
And a few other assorted Haxies.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by klinux:
Uh, the same reason why some people don't want their docks on the bottom? It's all about choices...
Uh, our eyes are trained to scan from top to bottom, thus menus being on the top. It would make sense if there was another operating system that had the menu on the bottom like that (the start menu is the only thing I can think of that comes close to doing this), but all operating systems i've used have drop-down menus (notice how it's "drop" and "down" ) Anyways, Mac was never about full customization, it's been about ease-of-use.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 11:07 PM

Thanks for help.
Give it time, its only been two weeks. We've all felt a bit frustrated in making the transition from PC > Mac but if you ask anyone here it was well worth it. The Mac is not for everyone just like a WinTel isn't for everyone. But if even after a fair amount time has passed and you've honestly given it your best effort in trying to learn the new system and your feelings haven't changed, sell the machine on ebay. You should feel good about yourself in the fact that at least you were open to the possibilities.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 11:15 PM

Hey Pablo,

Want to be a bit more specific about what you're looking to customize....? Apple keeps the interface very simple to provide a clean, consistent user experience, but there's still lots of room for personalization -- Dock, desktop pictures, font size and backgrounds in Finder windows, menu extras, screen savers, very-easy-to-change icons.... There's also literally hundreds of little 3rd party utilities, haxies, and add-ons, many free or very cheap.

There's lots of great themes out there too, if you're into that.

The one thing you're not going to be able to change is the menu bar up on top. It's partially tradition (been there for almost 20 years), but it's more than that -- it's an essential component of the Mac OS user experience. Customization is great, but it can't overrule the principles of good interface.

p.s. BTW, welcome.
( Last edited by lookmark; Sep 4, 2003 at 11:21 PM. )

ewiser
Sep 5, 2003, 05:15 AM

I have the start bar on the top on my windows computers also. I have found that it saves you neck strain and your eyes are always looking at the top of the screen where the application menu bar is.

Cipher13
Sep 5, 2003, 06:59 AM

So, the first thing you do after switching from Windows is try to make the Mac OS look like it?

Seriously. Keep it as it is for a while, give it a run. Stay in the deep end, you will transition faster.

(wow... my grammar really goes out the window at night... )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2003, 07:07 AM

Yup. The more you use a "clean" Mac OS X in the beginning, the more you will appreciate it's way of doing things, and you can start adding things afterwards.

After Panther (the next version of Mac OS X) I've done away with two utilities I once concidered invaluable: DragThing (I might add it again at some later point if it fixes the "I pretend to accept your registration information then forget about it the next launch"-bug) and DefaultFolder.

Utilities you might concider to enhance your OS X experience later on includes the ones above and:

LaunchBar, never used it but people seem to enjoy it. Type ahead to any item on your HD.

FruitMenu, customize your Apple-menu

Cocktail, general purpose system utility

TinkerTool, enhance your UI with hidden preferences

MenuMeters, a load of information in your menu-bar

WeatherPop or Meteorologist, weather in your menu. The latter is free.

Oh, and here are a few websites you might want to visit:

http://www.versiontracker.com/
or http://www.macupdate.com/

I prefer the above, but I'm a registered user and don't see the ads people complain about.

http://www.macosxhints.com/

http://www.resexcellence.com/

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2003, 08:35 AM

do you put your menu at the bottom of the screen in windows?
Didn't think so (you can't really criticise osx when you cant even do that on windows on a system wide level), seen as you can only do that in a handful of apps that use the non-standard menu component. What your confusing the menu with is a start menu, they're 2 totally different things, the macos menu is actually the menu you have at the top of every window on windows, only we have it where it belongs, the dock is the closest thing to a start menu/taskbar but its a bit different really and would be wrong to just say "THE DOCK IS THE TASKBAR!" because its not, neither is the menu

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2003, 09:29 AM

Just to echo what others have said:

Give the OS a couple of weeks.

Most people I've seen switch from Windows are a little irritated at first, but when they sit back down at a Windows machine after a few weeks, they're suddenly royally annoyed and understand what Mac users were always raving about. It's the little things.

The (single) menu bar at the top has always been a hallmark of the MacOS, so that is not going to change.

The drag option your friend was talking about is the use of modifiers (shift, option ("alt"), and Command (Apple, clover-leaf) - best to get used to the terminology; that's just the way it is ).

Usually, just dragging something from one place to another on a single disk will simply move it there. If you start dragging and then press and hold the option key, the cursor turns into a "+" cursor, indicating that the item will be *copied* rather than moved.

If you drag from one disk to another, the object is copied (as indicated by the "+" cursor). If you press and hold the Command key, the "+" disappears, and the object is *moved* to the new location on the second disk.

Command-Option-dragging an object will create an alias, as indicated by the little arrow tacked onto the cursor when you press the keys while dragging.

Control-click will bring up context menus, btw - it is functionally identical to the right-click on Windows.

Since the Mac has traditionally only had one mouse button (please, let's not discuss this again - it's how it is, and it's unlikely to change for various reasons), the use of modifier keys to change mouse function has a long tradition.

Hope this helps, and:

Welcome to Macintosh.

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules