Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Antique iMac and Pismo DVD

Antique iMac and Pismo DVD
MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2005, 01:37 AM

Hi,

I'm doing the big clean up at home, selling off some old mac parts (my dead Pismo PowerBook amongst other bits) and wanting to have some fun reclaiming an old Rev. B iMac. Note, I am not too concerned about dollars or performance here, I just want to see if I can make this work, not fly. The Rev. B is maxed out with 512MB RAM and a 40GB Hard drive. I have a VERY cheap offer on a Harmoni G3/500 and Firewire upgrade card, which I will probably go for. I have a 'spare' DVD drive from the dead Pismo and I am running Panther (albeit very slowly) on the iMac. Is it worth trying to get this DVD drive working on the iMac and will it take much work? I presume I just need to take out some screws on the Pismo drive and remove the expansion bay plastics!? Also, since I am running OSX the drive should be recognised and run properly on the iMac? I know that it will not run in OS9, because the drive needs a hardware decoder in the classic environment. OS X should be sweet though?
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

darwin23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2005, 11:01 AM

I'm thinking that the Rev.B iMac has a Rage Pro GPU.

So, you can not use Apple's DVD Player App with it.(Rage128 or better needed)

VLC or Xine under OS X should work for DVD Playback, however you'll want that G3/500 as you'll be decoding the MPEG2 in software and need all the mHz you can get.

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 18, 2005, 11:20 AM

Darwin is right. The original iMacs can't decode DVD because of the videocard, which stinks. That said, I had a 600mhz Harmoni and 512 megs ram with a 120 gig HD and it was a great little machine. Still have it, in fact, just not using it. It runs OSX quite nicely if you can put up with the CRT.

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2005, 06:26 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies. I think I may get the Harmoni upgrade in there and then give the DVD a go with VLC - I used VLC on another system and was pretty happy with it. The machine is mainly an e-mail/office station for my grandparents but in upgrading it I was trying to also learn a bit more about hardware. The perfect mini project! Thanks again.
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 18, 2005, 07:24 PM

They're good machines. I just sorta outgrew it with video editing requirements.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2005, 08:11 PM

I got the CD-ROM from a bondi iMac to work in my Pismo. So the DVD drive itself should function, but not the DVD Player app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules