Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Buying Tiger and the "But I want it now!" mentality

Buying Tiger and the "But I want it now!" mentality
SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2005, 10:25 AM

So, I just recently found out how inexpensive it is for me as a Student to get 10.4 for. $69. That's awesome. On top of that, my school carries it, so I can go pick it up tomorrow (Or whenever my cashflow starts up again... should be shortly) But now I face a little bit of a dilemma, and I'm looking for some advice: (This is really just for fun guys, I can make this decision without you.)

1) I can order it from the Apple Store online and it'll be here in a few days. Shipping is free.
2) I can buy it at my school, but the prices goes up something like $5 because of taxes.

What would you do? Save the $5 for a trip to Wendy's later? Or Blow it all because you want it now?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

James41
Aug 25, 2005, 10:32 AM

Depends on if your want it NOW or can wait a couple of days. Shipping usually runs from 2 days to 5 days, depending on your location. If your not hurting for money and 5 bucks won't mean you don't eat dinner, then a bird in the hand tastes better than one in the bush.
PowerMac G5 - 2.0 4 1/2 Gig Ram - Tiger 10.4.2
30" Apple Monitor - LaCie d2 Tripple 320 Gig
iMac G5 1.8 1 1/2 Gig Ram 20" - Tiger 10.4.2
Amd64 - Gamer - Water cooled

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 25, 2005, 10:48 AM

If there is an Apple Store in your state, Apple will collect sales tax on any online sale to you. Your profile says you're in Oregon, and since there are stores in Portland and Tigard OR, I think your problem boils down to having the disc in your hot little hands sooner or later-not money at all.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2005, 10:50 AM

I thought Oregon had no state sales tax?
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

SirCastor  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2005, 01:37 PM

Oregon doesn't have Sales Tax. However, I've moved to Utah about a month ago (Failed to update) So there is sales tax. Buuuuut, there are no Apple Stores in Utah (yet... I think there's one coming soon)
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2005, 01:50 PM

If you haven't upgraded to Tiger yet, wait a few days and enjoy the burger combo.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 25, 2005, 04:27 PM

So far it looks like you have no worries about tax if you buy online. so is the 5$ or so you'll save worth the wait?

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 09:36 PM

I believe Apple charges tax online in all 50 states because they operate in every state (regardless as to whether or not there is a retail store in the state).

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2005, 10:05 PM

Yeah, I usually have that mentality but much, much stronger, like I'll pay $20 more dollars to get it now... but you really have to over come it (like I always have to do). I think I'd wait for 5-6 days for $5. No reason to waste the money unless your playing to go live in a cabin in some woods with no connection to the rest of the world in less than $5, but they wouldn't have electricity, so I don't even think you'd be able to use you computer... Any way I think you should just wait the 5 days for a bit of money, personally I don't even think there is enough of a change to spend the money for Tiger, I'm waiting to the next release of OS X, same with iLife...

SirCastor  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2005, 02:07 AM

I would, but I'm running 10.2 There are some features that I think are cool, and more importantly I've found that people aren't making apps for 10.2 much anymore. A lot of the apps being made need at least Panther. I've skipped a generation, it's time.

Oh yeah, And I need 10.4 for native DVR-109 drivers (PatchBurn doesn't work for some reason)
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 26, 2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by waffffffle
I believe Apple charges tax online in all 50 states because they operate in every state (regardless as to whether or not there is a retail store in the state).
To my knowledge, an online company is only required to collect state sales tax (the STATE "charges" the taxes, retailers just collect them) IF they have a retail operation in that state. This may be why many companies are building retail stores in a lot of places; they got cozy with state governments... But that's another issue. But I have done business with many online sellers, and only if they have physical stores in my state have they collected tax on my purchases.

Anyway, I may be wrong on this issue. If I am, I'd like to be corrected. Knowing the rules makes it so much easier to know what to do.

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2005, 03:49 PM

I get charged sales tax when I purchase from Apple online, and there's no apple store in my state (Kansas).

You could find out for sure if you'll get charged by just doing the transaction online, and before you pay, it'll have a line that'll say "Estimated sales tax."

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by waffffffle
I got charged Sales Tax (edit: Apple collected the Sales Tax for the great state of New York, glenn ) by Apple before they ever had retail stores. It's something they decided to do when they first opened an online store -- probably so that they didn't give the appearance of undercutting their resellers.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2005, 11:27 PM

tax or not online if you ordered it the day you started this thread Tiger would almost be to you... so this information isn't really helping the "want it now" mentality.

SirCastor  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2005, 03:57 AM

Well, the holding factor on this was cash. My Financial Aid came in though, so I'm all set. Waiting for the bank to get my card stuff in order (just opened the account). I was in the bookstore buying a book for my English class, and ironically enough, they were sold out of Tiger. A powerbook is coming into my posession tomorrow night, and as it needs an airport card, I'm gonna order the both of them from Apple this week-ish.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2005, 07:03 PM

Oh, well congratulations on the PB that is "coming in to your posession"...

Forum Links
Forum Rules