Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apps ignoring default sound output device. Scanjet Manager voes.

Apps ignoring default sound output device. Scanjet Manager voes.
Hyperchaotic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 01:03 PM

Hi All

Problem 1:
I recently connected a Logitech USB headset to My First Mac (iMacG5 with Tiger) for use with Skype and all was bliss.

However after a while I discovered that Realplayer and Neverwinter Nights have decided to use the USB headset as default output device. Naturally I was not impressed and set the default output device to be the builtin speakers in System Preferences. iTunes agree with this decision.

No joy. Aforementioned apps still stubbornly insist on using the headset.

Right! Think MS Windows! Disconnect headset/reboot.

Still no joy, Realplayer and NWN produces no sound at all (or more likely to the now non-existing USB headset).

Problem 2:
Please to see that HP supply utilities/driver/tools for my Scanjet 5500c I immediately installed the package downloaded from their website.
However, now after boot the ScanJet Manager.App is automatically started once for each loggd in user and it hogs about 10% CPU without the scanner attached. I am very upset to discover this useless waste of resources. The "Login Items" list in System Preferences/Accounts does not list the offender and I was forced to finally locate the executeable with Spotlight and brutally delete it, to end its reign.
I would like to know where amongst the system configuration files I would be able to remove this nasty (and future nasties) without having to resort to "rm -R -f BlaBla".

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 01:51 PM

I had some issues with an HP AIO printer putting its ugly icon in my dock upon every login of every user. I think it placed a file called loginwindow.plist in the /Library/Preferences folder. If you look at that file in TextEdit, it seems to only contain one string about opening the HP software. I'd look for that and move it out of the /Library folder (don't delete it until you're sure you know what it does). It sucks that HP treats Mac users like Windows users. In Windows, its acceptable for a program to pollute your system tray with ugly icons but on OS X users hate it.

As for your audio problem, I'm not familiar with Skype so I can't tell you the specifics of that, but there are 2 programs that you may want to look into to get more control of your audio I/O. Detour, which is a shareware System Preference that gives you complete control of the audio on a per-app basis, and SoundSource, which is a free menu item that lets you change your audio devices. Both are at http://www.rogueamoeba.com/ .

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2005, 01:58 PM

1) check in applications/utilities for a program Audio/Midi setup and see what the settings are there.

2) HP seems to think THEY have the right to decide what programs get run on MY computer at startup. the only way to prevent this is to do waht you did. delete the executale, usually located in applications/Hewlet Packard/HP Photo and Imaging Software/

Since it is MY computer, not HP's their products have been banned from my computer until they change their attitude.

Hyperchaotic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2005, 03:38 PM

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I found two offending lines in that file and with the helpful tool that is nano I removed them. I think I can now install the scanjet stuff again, remove those lines when they reappear and with some luck the scanner will still work when I manually launch the app, which is how it should be.

As for the other problem. I found the solution; Go into Applications/Utilities and open Audio MIDI setup and set the audio output is set to 44100 Hz 2ch-16bit. Apparently it had somehow changed to a higher frequency and thus refused to use the internal speakers for Realplayer and NWN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules