Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > B&W G3 Modem help

B&W G3 Modem help
Metro
Dec 5, 2001, 07:10 AM

I need to put a modem on a my B&W G3 400, and wondered where I could get the internal Apple modem. Either that or I could use a US Robotics 56 k external I have. I have read on lowendmac.com about some issues with the Internal Modem, and various scripts. So anyone have a suggestion on which route to go? And also if I go with an Internal Apple modem, are these still available?

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2001, 09:18 AM

I have the same system. The B/W G3 internal modems sell very cheaply on eBay (usually uner $30) and they are usually new.

I bought mine off of eBay, and never had any problems with it. I'm guessing the problems you are talking about were fixed in later Mac OS's.

Good luck.

lw

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Walker ]

davidflas
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 10:38 AM

I had a B&W G3/300 for a while and I bought an Apple internal modem from Powermaxfor $29 and it worked great.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2001, 11:00 AM

i originally bought a global village modem for my BW that crapped out in like 48 hours.
returned it and bought the apple one. never had a problem with it in the 2 years i've used it.
search some mac resellers. you'll be able to find a new one somewhere for under $40.

and no, Jesus doesn't chill with a 40 Jesus is straight x edge.

Metro  (op)
Dec 5, 2001, 11:05 AM

It sounds like the Internal is the way to go then? I have looked around at a few resellers and have not found an Apple Internal yet. I have seen some on eBay. But if a resller has a new one for the same price I would be more enclined to do it that way.

The other ideas were the GeeThree serial port adaptor, or a USB external..

And also is there any script I should download that sems to give the best connections.

Forum Links
Forum Rules