Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wide Screen DVD Display problem

Wide Screen DVD Display problem
Metro
Dec 14, 2001, 07:02 AM

I have checked this problem out with 3 DVD's - Amadeus - Blast From the Past and Pearl Harbor.

All of these leave a grey area directly above and below the movie. I measured the areas with a ruler. The top and bottom Black (like it should be) is approx - 7/8 " and the Grey area is approx - 6/8", the total view area is about 4 1/4".

I have DVD Player 3.0 - Also I checked the movies out in my G4 tower and have not noticed this problem, nor did I have it with my old B&W G3 DVD.

My G4 also has DVD 3.0, but none of these problems. I also booted into OS 9.2.1 and the viewing area was the same, but it was all Black above and below lilke it should be.

When I plug into my television it does the same thing!! It is distracting to say the least. And I even tried changing the Brightness to see if it had anything to do with that, but that made no difference. Any ideas?

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2001, 01:39 PM

i think my pismo does the same thing.....you'll just have to get used to it probably

Metro  (op)
Dec 14, 2001, 10:05 PM

Well I have been more than patient with Apple in the past as they usually have fixed most problems at one point. But considering I paid an extra $200 for a DVD drive I really don't plan on getting - used to it - on a brand new product. If I bought a brand new DVD player I would expect it to work correctly.

Also the fact that it seems to work fine in OS 9, but in OS X is where the problem is. And I almost exclusively use OS X now. I appreciate your input...but there must be an alternative.

I have posted this elsewhere and others have said they do not show this problem in OS X. Anyone out there that can confirm this problem that I am having? Or for that matter reply if you do not have the problem? Either way it would help to know what is going on.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2001, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Metro:
<STRONG>I have posted this elsewhere and others have said they do not show this problem in OS X. Anyone out there that can confirm this problem that I am having? Or for that matter reply if you do not have the problem? Either way it would help to know what is going on.</STRONG>
Hi, I've noticed this and just popped in a movie to check it out again. The 3/4 of an inch of space just above and below the (wide screen) picture is dark gray compared to the inch or so of black above and below the gray bands. I have never considered it a problem or even distracting. I removed OS 9 from my iBook so I'm unable to check to see if the gray bands exist there as well. Hope this helps.

Metro  (op)
Dec 15, 2001, 07:53 AM

Thanks for confirming that you have the problem too. I still think it is distracting especially when you are going through your TV. And since I have a G4 with monitor next to it I can see the difference there, too.

I hope Apple has a fix for OS X DVD player 3.0. Try it on your TV and maybe you will see that it is distracting compared to using OS 9 or a regular DVD player. The bigger the screen the more noticable it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules