Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Norton Firewall Install on OS X?

Norton Firewall Install on OS X?
Metro
Dec 20, 2001, 01:17 AM

Help! I have just installed Norton Personal Firewall on my iBook in OS 9. I then upgraded it to version 1.0.2

According to Symantec this is supposed to be native compatible in OS X to install in OS X. Even reviews I have read said that you need to install natively into both Systems 9 & X.

I bought this program a few months ago and took it back because the CD was only version 1.0. Now after watching Symantecs site it seemed that the CD versions would be 1.0.2. Not so! I bought 2 copies and both are V. 1.0

Here is Symantecs info for OS X:

"Version 1.0.2 offers full product functionality in the Mac OS X native environment. Norton Personal Firewall for Macintosh can and should be installed into the Classic environment of Mac OS X as well as the Mac OS X native environment.

Once installed into both Classic and native Mac OS X, Norton Personal Firewall will protect your Macintosh when running applications in both modes of Mac OS X. "

So do they have an upgrade CD? Downloading 1.0.2 doesn't have anyway to install it to OS X. I am getting very peeved at Symantec. Everytime I think they are shipping native CD's they don't.

Anyone know what is going on, and a solution? Thanks.....

Rex
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2001, 09:41 AM

In theory, Live Update should place a file on your desktop with the link to the OS X version when you download the update. That doesn't always happen (it didn't for me), but you can still download from Symantec.
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/norton_personal_firewall_mac/ver1.0/updates/Firewall_OSX_102.hqx
Hope this helps

Metro  (op)
Dec 20, 2001, 10:37 AM

Thank you! I had just gotten off the phone with Symantec support who realized after I explained the situation that there was no way for me to update to OS X. They said they would send a new disk. I do not know why they are still shipping old versions and that Live Update doesn't work.

Thanks again...

Forum Links
Forum Rules