Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Manually removing iPod content

Manually removing iPod content
flyordiedays
Jan 26, 2007, 04:48 PM

I tried searching for an answer, and was unsuccessful, so if there is an existing thread I would be grateful for a link.

My school's network won't allow me to access iTunes, but I've downloaded the 7.0.2 version and installed it. My problem is that I have some data (about 16g) on my iPod that I want to delete, and iTunes won't let me restore the iPod.

I was just going to completely erase everything and re sync my music, but it keeps giving me the message that it can't download the software updates. Is there no other way to just remove that stupid data manually? It shows up on the meter as "other", if that is any help.

Also, I somehow set it to manually eject the iPod, rather than simply allowing it to be ejected when the updating is complete, and I can't figure out how to reset that.

Any help with these matters would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure why I'm spazzing so badly, I've never had any issues with my 20gig photo. Thanks everyone.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 05:42 PM

If you have Disk Mode enabled, you have to manually eject the iPod. And if you do indeed have Disk Mode enabled, then you should be able to find and delete the files you placed on it by opening the drive in the Finder.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

flyordiedays  (op)
Jan 26, 2007, 06:49 PM

When I open the iPod, it only shows three files-calendar, contacts, and notes. Contacts contains 48kb of info, notes contains 16kb. It does not show the 15+gig of "other" content in order for me to delete it, or the actual music that is on there. I think it is the old music library file, from where I moved all of my library to an external HD. I had no trouble accessing the library from the HD, but I think I may have dropped that old folder onto the iPod icon rather than the trash icon, as it was right above the dock. I'm not sure if any of this is making sense to anyone else, though, but thank you for your help.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2007, 03:27 PM

It sounds like because your school blocks access to the iTunes Store that you can't use iTunes to download the updater. You might try looking in Applications/Utlities/iPod Software Updater and use one of the older stand-alone updaters.

You can also download one of the older ones here:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...628formac.html

flyordiedays  (op)
Jan 27, 2007, 04:37 PM

Thanks Big Mac and icruise!

I'm going to try the older updater and see how that works. I am utterly unable to find the files that are taking up so much space. If the older updater doesn't work, the Apple Store said they could restore it for me, I just hate the thought of driving an hour and a half for that.

Thanks again for your help!

deiol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 08:29 PM

---
( Last edited by deiol; Jul 22, 2009 at 09:45 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules