Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The one problem I have with Preview.app

The one problem I have with Preview.app
chrisdisregard
Dec 2, 2008, 06:29 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 05:58 PM. )

philm
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2008, 07:12 PM

It sounds like you want an iTunes-like interface for PDFs. In fact, there are several apps which do this. Do a Google search for 'iTunes for PDFs' and some will pop up. One example is Yojimbo which I have used for this and it was OK. My personal requirement is for academic papers for which Papers is wonderful, but only for this specific requirement.

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2008, 08:39 PM

iTunes will hold PDFs in its library. Then you just need a smart playlist that filters for PDFs.

Don't forget that Command ` will cycle between open windows.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2008, 08:41 PM

What about exposé?

red rocket
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 06:47 AM

Personally, I never minimise multiple documents. I leave them all stacked behind one another and command-tilde until I have the one I want in the front. It’s analogous to how I switch between apps, by cycling through with command-tab.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
What about exposé?
No kidding.

Separate documents open separate windows. Just like in Pages, Numbers, Word. It just makes sense. (At least to me.)

I've found Preview to have improved significantly since it was first introduced. I avoid Acrobat Reader just because Preview now handles everything so seamlessly.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

chrisdisregard  (op)
Dec 4, 2008, 03:25 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 05:58 PM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
I avoid Acrobat Reader just because Preview now handles everything so seamlessly.
Alas, that isn't true. Preview's lack of support for a number of the new features in the latest PDF version(s) is crippling for many who work in academia and it is only going to get worse (embedded 3D model support, films and slideshows in particular). Preview can only correctly render PDF version 1.5 or lower and the latest version is 1.8 iirc. It is getting left a long way behind.

The up side is that Acrobat Reader has also improved dramatically in the latest versions. However, I would still rather do without it and just rely on Preview.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Alas, that isn't true. Preview's lack of support for a number of the new features in the latest PDF version(s) is crippling for many who work in academia and it is only going to get worse (embedded 3D model support, films and slideshows in particular). Preview can only correctly render PDF version 1.5 or lower and the latest version is 1.8 iirc. It is getting left a long way behind.

The up side is that Acrobat Reader has also improved dramatically in the latest versions. However, I would still rather do without it and just rely on Preview.
I think we agree we agree more than you suspect. I recognize that Reader has its advantages. (Example: When I submitted by bar application, I had to use Reader to fill out the form from within the application.) Nevertheless, it has been nearly three years since I have had the need for any of these advantages. I suppose I fall into the middle of the bell curve in that I have a use for pdf viewers, but I'm not realigning the Hubble telescope with them.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2008, 12:44 PM

try Witch: http://www.manytricks.com/witch/

it's like Command+Tilde with better features and easier to differentiate windows quickly

Forum Links
Forum Rules