Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > proftpd help

proftpd help
sahara
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2003, 10:46 PM

I've had nothing but trouble with proftpd over and over again in different forms. I appreciate the help people often give regarding it in these forums. Anyway, I had it working for some time, but about one month ago it stopped recognizing any user I try to log in with.
I get "530 Login incorrect" and "Login failed" every time.
Debug shows: "no such user 'access'" and "USER access: no such user found from 127.0.0.1 [127.0.0.1] to 127.0.0.1:21" when I try to log in with the user "access" via localhost. Anyone familiar with this one?
- Sahara

sahara  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2003, 11:11 PM

Well, I posted here after failing to find the info in forums or via google, but the friendly folks @ #proftpd (which I've just learned about) had me add "PersistentPasswd off" which worked like a charm. Explanation below as it was given to me:

I think the netinfo service in OSX is like NIS
and so the advice in the proftpd docs
about PersistentPasswd
apply to OSX as well
it's a name/acct service, as opposed to a static file
and the PersistentPasswd directive tells proftpd whether to keep a file descriptor opened on that, or not
for a service, keeping that descriptor open makes no sense
but there's no way for proftpd to be be able to know what kind of acct source it's dealing with
that is all hidden by library access functions
hence why it's necessary to manually tell proftpd, via this directive, what it should do
- Sahara

Forum Links
Forum Rules