Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > metasearch on google?..

metasearch on google?..
benandkelley
Nov 9, 2004, 10:37 AM

Hi,

I'm curious about what it costs to use Google's database for a metasearch type system. Does anyone know of any sources to find out how much google would charge for a company to have a computer-based query to their database?

Thanks.

-Ben

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2004, 10:48 AM

I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking about searching from Google with some kind of non-browser software? They already offer APIs for that, free of charge (though limited to 1000 queries per day). You can also access their cache or spellchecker through these APIs.

http://www.google.com/apis/
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

benandkelley  (op)
Nov 9, 2004, 11:13 AM

Let's say I want to know how often my name appears on the web. Let's say I will charge people money to find out how ofen my name is on the web.

By collecting money I would not be able to use the Google Webservices API. Some companies, such as Yahoo, can interact with the Google database. I can write a computer program that will access the Google.com page and parse the results, but that's probably against their TOS.

So, I'd be interested in searching their results to get a count of items that have my name. Does anyone know if Google offers a subscription service of this type?

Any info is appreciated.
( Last edited by benandkelley; Nov 9, 2004 at 11:35 AM. )

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 11:30 AM

Since this service would be provided by google, don't you think that exploring their site, or emailing them, would be the way to go?

benandkelley  (op)
Nov 9, 2004, 11:37 AM

I agree that speaking with Google is a good idea however, they've been very slow in answering my questions. I've searched their site and haven't found anything yet.

Just wanted to ask the minds here at MacNN to see if anyone has heard of such a service.

Any info is appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules