Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > os x host

os x host
frozentundra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 01:01 AM

Hello

I am looking for a new web hosting service.

Does anyone know of a list of web hosting services that are running on OS X?
Swing hard in case you hit it!!

benandkelley
Nov 28, 2004, 06:00 PM

Here's one...

link 1

check out the back of some Mac magazines, such as MacAddict. They have a ton of ads for web hosts out there.

I can't tell you any Pro's or Con's on any of them, but you can get a list of 'em there.

hope htis helps.

-Ben

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 10:46 AM

IMHO, there's no real incentive to use an OSX hosting company versus one that uses Linux/BSD/UNIX. I'd avoid any company hosting on Windows, but all UNIXes act just like OSX from a hosting perspective.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by frozentundra:
Hello

I am looking for a new web hosting service.

Does anyone know of a list of web hosting services that are running on OS X?
I use www.serverlogistics.com which is a Mac host (OSX Server) and has been very good. The advantage of using a Mac host is that should you need Tech Support you'll get someone who knows about Mac OS and software, something you'll likely not get with a non mac host........

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by Starry Night:
The advantage of using a Mac host is that should you need Tech Support you'll get someone who knows about Mac OS and software, something you'll likely not get with a non mac host........
and that's an advantage how, exactly?

i really can't see the point in paying more (let's face it, that's likely), for OS X hosting, when standard UNIX hosting will offer the same services. if you really need OS X hosting, then maybe consider hosting it from your own machine?

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Phil Sherry:
and that's an advantage how, exactly?

i really can't see the point in paying more (let's face it, that's likely), for OS X hosting, when standard UNIX hosting will offer the same services. if you really need OS X hosting, then maybe consider hosting it from your own machine?
It all depends on where you are coming from. If you are a computer expert and have no need for tech support, then it doesn't matter much if you host with a Mac host or not. If you are not as knowledgeable and will have more of a need for tech support, then having a company that understands your OS (Mac) can be a big help.

It's also not necessarily more expensive to host with a Mac host. For instance ServerLogistics.com charges $9.95 for 250 MB, 5 GB bandwidth, and something like 25 mail boxes. You can add a second, or third, or fourth domain to that account for $3 more for each domain and divide up the mail boxes any way you want.
The other host I considered was a non-Mac host called Hostasaurus, very good reputation with the Miva Merchant crowd. They charged $6.50 for 200 MB + 500 MB bandwidth per site. A second site with it's own mail would cost $6.50 more.

For my needs (3 small sites), the Mac Host (server logistics) was a better deal and I get tech support catered to my kind of computer. Can it be had for cheaper? Probably. But I've foundthat a quality host can make all the difference. What's $2 - $3 more per month if that gets you a quality organization? If you are running a business in which a few dollars a month is going to make a big difference, then the type of host you have is the least of your worries

My site loads extremely fast w/ Server Logistics...........

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 02:39 AM

OTS, but...

Had to see how Phil's book was doing at Amz. Unfortunately, the publisher's product description did not inspire confidence:

"Mac OS X 10.2, known as Panther, is the latest release to the Macintosh UNIX-based operation system..."
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2004, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
OTS, but...

Had to see how Phil's book was doing at Amz. Unfortunately, the publisher's product description did not inspire confidence:

"Mac OS X 10.2, known as Panther, is the latest release to the Macintosh UNIX-based operation system..."
yeah, that's not my fault. i've complained about that lots of times.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 01:07 PM

It always amazes me how poorly computerized Amz is. They get authors' names wrong, titles wrong... you'd think that all that stuff would get automatically transferred (correctly) from the publisher's database.

Sorry about your trouble getting response. If such bloopers could be corrected by the authors as easily as reviewers can edit their reviews, everybody would be better served.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 10:10 PM

i wouldnae bother looking for an OSX based host if i was you. i had the same idea myself a while back and did a lot of research. what i found was that ISPs hosting on OSX were charging on average three or four times as much as non-mac hosts offering the same package on a run of the mill unix or linux PC server.

i'm quite prepared to pay the extra involved in choosing to use a mac as my desktop machine, coz i've got to use it every day and its build quality and GUI directly affects me, but with an internet host, i don't see the machine that's running my server and i never have to work with it directly [apart from via standard web interfaces and FTP progs], so it really disnae matter to me whether it's a slinky sophisticated Xrack running OSX server, or some IBM clone running unix. as long as the bugger works reliably and has a decent uptime, i don't really care what it is. i'll go for the best 'bang for buck' option every time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules