Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking for shopping cart software...

Looking for shopping cart software...
t_hah
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 03:36 PM

I am thinking about starting up a website, selling some items. Do you guys know any good shopping carts software out there. PHP, mysql mased solutions would work the best. Looking for payment system integration, so that people could pay with their cards as well.

Has anyone done something like this before? What would you guys recommend?

AuPhalanx
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by t_hah:
I am thinking about starting up a website, selling some items. Do you guys know any good shopping carts software out there. PHP, mysql mased solutions would work the best. Looking for payment system integration, so that people could pay with their cards as well.

Has anyone done something like this before? What would you guys recommend?
t_hah!

I use WebMarketingMagic . I like it. It has pretty much everything for which you are looking, plus autoresponders and affiliate setup. It's been worth it to me.

Have fun... Tony.

benandkelley
Dec 14, 2004, 04:11 PM

A friend of mine has a site which is constantly being bombarded with hacking attempts. So he hired a programmer and created his own shoping cart software. It's based on the idea of "security through obscurity"...no one else knows how it was created, so hackers don't know how to attack it.

Don't know if that's an option for you..just wanted to mention it. Keep in mind that many shopping carts are secure and trustworthy...but the best security can be hard to obtain.

Good luck.

-Ben

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 04:35 PM

AuPhalanx: the website and their solution look pretty good, although they might be a little bit expensive for what I need. I will look into it though.

Ben: I have thought about building my own site, but I am a bit afraid with the payment system, because of security. When taking someone else's card I want to make sure that the system works, and I trust companies that have been doing this for a while much better, than my own skills. Of course I might just end up creating a site, and then adding some cc payment system to it as an add on.

If there are other good systems out there, I am still interested. i will look at all of them.

Thanks,

t

timmerk
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by benandkelley:
A friend of mine has a site which is constantly being bombarded with hacking attempts. So he hired a programmer and created his own shoping cart software. It's based on the idea of "security through obscurity"...no one else knows how it was created, so hackers don't know how to attack it.

Don't know if that's an option for you..just wanted to mention it. Keep in mind that many shopping carts are secure and trustworthy...but the best security can be hard to obtain.
That's the dumbest thing I have ever read in me life. Please do not cause me more brain damage. Thanks!

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by timmerk:
That's the dumbest thing I have ever read in me life. Please do not cause me more brain damage. Thanks!
have you ever read this forum before, it made perfect sense to me... I dont know what it wrong with you man...

Zach

Forum Links
Forum Rules