Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > gcc 4.0 wont create executables

gcc 4.0 wont create executables
runcoberry
May 8, 2005, 12:25 PM

I am trying to compile fink under tiger. I installed the package from their website, deleted /sw/ and and running the bootstrap from "fink-0.23.9" on their website. The script gets to ./configure and then bails out because gcc 4.0 wont create executables. I switched to gcc 3.3 and fink said that it needed gcc 4.0 to compile. Does anyone have any suggestions to get it to compile.

Code:
./configure --prefix=/sw/bootstrap --infodir=/sw/bootstrap/share/info --mandir=/sw/bootstrap/share/man --with-included-gettext creating cache ./config.cache checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c checking whether build environment is sane... yes checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes checking for working aclocal... found checking for working autoconf... found checking for working automake... found checking for working autoheader... found checking for working makeinfo... found checking for gcc... gcc checking whether the C compiler (gcc -L/sw/src/gettext-0.10.40-19/gettext-0.10.40/intl/.libs -L/sw/bootstrap/lib) works... no configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables. ### execution of ./configure failed, exit code 1 compiling gettext-0.10.40-19 failed
One OS to Rule them all,
and in the Darkness [dramatic pause] Bind them.

-- Tiger

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2005, 01:46 PM

You run "./bootstrap.sh /sw" to install, right?
At least that worked fine for me some days ago.

runcoberry  (op)
May 8, 2005, 06:48 PM

Yeah, that's what I was running ./bootstrap.sh from a folder on desktop. This is the only thing that I could think.
I am going to try it running from /tmp/
One OS to Rule them all,

-- Tiger

sahara
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 09:02 AM

Immediately had this same problem with Fink after upgrading to Tiger. Turns out that when I installed Tiger dev tools, I unchecked something that needed to be installed. A reinstall of dev tools solved it. Unfortunately I've forgotten what part of the package I had missed.
- Sahara

runcoberry  (op)
May 9, 2005, 05:00 PM

Immediately had this same problem with Fink after upgrading to Tiger. Turns out that when I installed Tiger dev tools, I unchecked something that needed to be installed. A reinstall of dev tools solved it. Unfortunately I've forgotten what part of the package I had missed.
I am going to definitely try that. I was trying to cut out a lot of the Dev stuff that I wouldn't need, but I guess that I cut that list a little to thin. THanks for the suggestion. I have a hunch that it was the SDKs, which I don't understand why. I will post when I figure out what component was missing. Thanks again.
One OS to Rule them all,

-- Tiger

Forum Links
Forum Rules