Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Pro Mouse 2?

Pro Mouse 2?
PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2001, 08:20 PM

What ever happened to it I heard some rumors at railhead design about one but the rumors sorta faded away...any chance for mwny??
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

JLannoo
May 7, 2001, 09:22 PM

To expand on this a little. When will Apple finally give up on the One-button mouse? I have read OS X has built in support for 2 button Mice(or mouses if you prefer),What are the chances of them actually making a Official one?

I absolutely love the style and design of my pro mouse but would gladly give a bit of that up for a little functionality.

------------------
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot

G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro

Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot
G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 02:02 AM

Well, Apple has never built their operating systems for a 2 button mouse. They've always been made for a one button. I haven't used OS X yet, but if it's "ready" for multiple buttons, then perhaps Apple will ship 2 button mice. But what about everyone else with 1 button mice?

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 02:22 PM

OS X does support two mouse buttons and a scroll wheel without any third-party drivers installed.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 04:10 PM

"Well, Apple has never built their operating systems for a 2 button mouse. They've always been made for a one button. I haven't used OS X yet, but if it's "ready" for multiple buttons, then perhaps Apple will ship 2 button mice. But what about everyone else with 1 button mice?" - Bradoesch

I use an Apple 1-button mouse on my mac, to be honest I rarely use the control-click function the second button would take. I'm not sure about this, but I believe that in OS X you can get the same effect as a right-click or control-click by holding down the mouse button. I also use PC's regularly and one thing I do miss on a mac is having a scroll wheel, these are really handy little things.

Several sites have reported on a possible ProMouse 2, with the possibility of it, along with the keyboard, being wireless. If it does exist and Apple are going to release it, I would think the July MWNY show would be as good a time as any, releasing it alongside preinstalled OS X macs. But this is Steve Jobs we're talking about here, so who knows what's going to happen!

------------------

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

JLannoo
May 8, 2001, 06:02 PM

Well I hop back and forth between my PC and Mac (they sit side by side) The things I miss the most are cut&paste and the scroll wheel

It is a hundred times quicker to cut and paste on the PC...you just right click select cut then right click and select paste...much quicker. I had been using my Graphire Tablet's two button scroll mouse with OS 9.

Now having gone back to OS X again I'm out of luck till June when Wacom says they will have drivers. What I would really like though is a official Sexy Pro Mouse from apple with two buttons and a scroll wheel.

------------------
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot

G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro

Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot
G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2001, 06:15 PM

If OSX has support for it then we will have a dual button mouse by MWNY, try the numlock. OSX is the future and they will use it and every feauter that they have putinto it.

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

PeteL999  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2001, 06:20 PM

that'd be great. could you imagine!! a new mouse, os x pre-installed, new g4's, new imacs, possible ti rev. wow
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

wumeng
Senior User
May 9, 2001, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
OS X does support two mouse buttons and a scroll wheel without any third-party drivers installed.
I had a strange experience running OS X 10.0 when it first came out -- the Finder wouldn't recognise the scroll wheel on my Logitech mouse, although Mail.app would!

IEEE1394
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2001, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by wumeng:
I had a strange experience running OS X 10.0 when it first came out -- the Finder wouldn't recognise the scroll wheel on my Logitech mouse, although Mail.app would!
Scroll mice only work in Cocoa apps. The Finder, believe it or not, is Carbon. Mail.app is cocoa. Which is why it worked .

------------------

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2001, 01:20 PM

until i got my imac a month ago, ive always used a 2 button mouse. that pro mouse is so nice looking i just had to give it a try, and i got used to using ctrl-click instead of a rightclick quite easily. i thought it would be misery to not have a scroll wheel either but im used to that now too even though the winbox i use at work has 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. id love to see mac release a beautiful 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel, but ill stick with my promouse in the meantime. ya. i realize that makes me vain, but i think all mac users are at least a little bit.

------------------
you're going to have my foot at your lip in a minute, young man.

scott

Forum Links
Forum Rules