Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto prints question

iPhoto prints question
waffffffle
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2005, 11:10 PM

I have never ordered prints from iPhoto before and I am about to order 108. They are all 4x3 aspect ratio. iPhoto offers 4x6 prints. How does that come out? Will the pictures be cropped? Will there be white bars on the edge of the photos?

Thanks.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2005, 12:40 AM

They might come out cropped or distorted. To ensure you get the full 4x6 (non distorted) you should crop all your photos to 4x6 first...iPhoto does offer this in the Edit mode. Just click on the Constrain drop down menu and select the 4x6 option.

waffffffle  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2005, 12:57 AM

I know that's what I should do. I'm just wondering what happens if I don't.

And why doesn't anyone offer 3:4 prints? That's what all cameras take nowadays and when I publish web galleries I always use that aspect ratio.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2005, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by waffffffle
I know that's what I should do. I'm just wondering what happens if I don't.

And why doesn't anyone offer 3:4 prints? That's what all cameras take nowadays and when I publish web galleries I always use that aspect ratio.
They do? I think that both of my cameras (Sony and Olympus) emulate a standard 35mm image format. Off to check.

waffffffle  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2005, 02:43 AM

Maybe I'm mistaken. I've owned 4 real digicams, although three of them are Canon ELPH models and one is a noname one that my Grandmother bought off QVC. All do 3:4 ratio.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2005, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by waffffffle
That's what most digital print labs do! Their paper is on large, endless rolls, so the machine just prints in the correct aspect ratio and trims it to size.

BTW, more and more digital cameras are moving to traditional film-shaped (2:3) sensors. The SLRs already do, and the prosumer cameras are adopting 2:3 sensors more and more.

tooki

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
the machine just prints in the correct aspect ratio and trims it to size.
tooki
Hence that would mean he'll get white bars on both sides. Does anyone know for sure that out of aspect prints in iPhoto are trimmed and not cropped?

I'd like to know since I own a Panasonic LX1 wich has native 16:9 ratio.

BTW iPhoto (Switzerland) gives me the option to order 3:4 (15x20cm) aspect prints.

Forum Links
Forum Rules