Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > USB Card for older G5?

USB Card for older G5?
waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 11:53 PM

I have a first generation dual 2 GHz G5 and I have usb audio problems. I originally had an ADC monitor with USB ports and found that if I plug my Soundsticks into the monitor then I don't have any of the problems (audio skipping when I move the mouse to wake the displays, audio randomly cutting out). Now I have 2 DVI monitors using an ADC-DVI adapter so I can't access the USB of the graphics card.

My question is, does anyone have a cheap USB PCI card that they would recommend for the older G5s like mine? I remember there being some compatibility issues with some FireWire cards so I am hesitant to buy just anything.

Thanks.

Chito
Senior User
Jan 4, 2006, 10:36 AM

I have the same computer and have installed a Sonnet Allegro USB card. Be aware though, there are sleep issues with most if not all usb cards. On my mac, if I let it go to sleep, about 1 out of 10 times, it won't wake up properly. If I log out and put the machine to sleep I never have a problem. That's not much of an issue with me as I always log out if I'm not going to be around and if I am around I never put the machine to sleep. The card cost me about $25 and gave me 4 external and 1 internal (for what I don't know) USB 2 ports. Everything I have plugged in works just fine.
I think I'll cruise on over to Sonnet's site and see if they've updated anything to deal with Mac sleep issues. If you want I can let you know what I find out.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

new newton
Banned
Jan 4, 2006, 11:00 AM

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ting/FWUSBPCI/

I've got this in my G5, and haven't had any sleep issues. Note that OWC says it's not G5-compatible, but they don't say why. My guess is that it's got a power port on it and syphoning power from the optical drive on the G5 isn't for everyone. I don't have anything connected to the power port, so I only run devices that don't need to be powered. It was in my G4 prior to this and never gave me a problem there, either.

waffffffle  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 03:33 PM

It's a bit frustrating that USB cards for PCs cost $5 and they cost $30 for a Mac. All you're paying for there is drivers.

new newton
Banned
Jan 4, 2006, 05:24 PM

You can stick a $5 card in your Mac, and there's a good chance it'll work like a $5 card. As long as it's built off of a chipset that OS X recognizes, it'll work to one degree or another. How much is your time worth?

waffffffle  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 01:12 AM

But for $30 I can buy a card that either isn't officially G5-compatible or $25 for one that has sleep issues? This is unlikely to get resolved considering Apple only makes one computer model with expansion slots. It's an unfortunate result of the market conditions. I wouldn't even need the card if USB audio worked properly but that's another story.

new newton
Banned
Jan 5, 2006, 12:49 PM

Do you want to complain, or do you want to find a card?

Forum Links
Forum Rules