Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > MBP + ACD 22": how do you dim that sucker?

MBP + ACD 22": how do you dim that sucker?
markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 07:53 PM

I feel a little sheepish asking this question, but here goes.

I have this snazzy Apple Cinema Display attached to my Macbook Pro via a (very expensive!) ADC adaptor. I set them up so that they didn't mirror -- I guess you call that spanning? -- and things were great all summer. Then, after daylight savings time, I started to notice that monitor was getting painful to look at. Turns out my MBP monitor was dimming as it was getting dark, but my external display wasn't.

And now I suddenly realize I have no idea how to adjust the brightness of that display. There's a keen brightness button on the front, but it doesn't do much more than glow when I touch it.

What am I missing? It wouldn't be possible to get the display to dim along with the MBP display, would it?

Thanks for your help.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2007, 05:39 PM

Connect the USB cable coming off the DVI-ADC adaptor.

markponcelet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2007, 04:05 PM

Whoohoo! That's it. Thanks! My eyes thank you a million times!

For those who are wondering, here's what attaching the USB cable does if you're using a Macbook Pro.
  • It activates the USB ports on the back of the display (Obvious, I know.)
  • It makes the button on the lower-left corner of the display (that looks like a brightness indicator or a sun) open or close the Display Preferences pane.
  • The display preferences pane gets a new tab, "Options," which includes options to disable the two front display buttons
  • It adds a brightness slider to the bottom of the Display tab.
17" Rev. A MBP (ATI X1600 256 MB, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5, Parallels Build 3214)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2007, 02:02 PM

I love how I can turn on-off-sleep the Mac via the display power tactile button. Not having a Power button on the keyboard suddenly doesn't suck that much (talking about a Power Mac here, obviously).

Forum Links
Forum Rules