Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > which supplied application in Macbook can burn CD?

which supplied application in Macbook can burn CD?
MacPhly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2007, 03:04 AM

I checked the litttle square manual that came with my Nov.2007 Macbook but found nothing that says which supplied app can be used to burn CD in the built-in CD combo. Any suggestion?

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Dec 1, 2007, 03:09 AM

what kind of CD? music or data?

the Finder burns data CDs and iTunes can burn an audio CD

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2007, 04:02 AM

I would suggest you invest in a copy of Roxio Toast
But if you don't want to spend any money and the included iTunes, Finder, and Disk Utility aren't robust enough for you then you can try this: http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

Really though if you are going to be a Mac user from here on out, buy Toast.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 04:04 AM

And iPhoto burns photo CDs.

And Disk Utility copies CDs and burns images.

And see the little "HELP" menu at the top of your screen? Use it. This isn't Windows - the "Help" menu actually does just that. It's your manual.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 1, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Langdon View Post
I would suggest you invest in a copy of Roxio Toast
But if you don't want to spend any money and the included iTunes, Finder, and Disk Utility aren't robust enough for you then you can try this: Burn

Really though if you are going to be a Mac user from here on out, buy Toast.
I must say I also throw a vote out there for Toast. It really does everything and is worth the $79. After using burning software on Windows and Linux, I find that I like Toast the best.

MacPhly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I downloaded the freeware "burn" and it seems to fit my needs. At this point I would like to see what I can use from the Macbook "out of the box" without having to buy additional stuff.

By the way, the Macbook also came with a little square black cloth. Each side has a different texture. I can only guess that it is for cleaning the LCD screen. If so, which side to clean with, and any cleaning fluid or water required? Or is it a foldable mouse pad?

horrorbiz
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2007, 07:50 PM

In over 10 years I have never felt like I needed some special software to burn a CD.. what are the advantages? The finder works great as does itunes.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 08:50 PM

Some people like Toast, but honestly, for most people, the MacBook comes with perfectly adequate software to burn CDs and DVDs. I'm not knocking toast, but you don't need to buy third party software to easily burn optical media.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2007, 10:55 PM

Yeah, I have found little need for any other application.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2007, 11:40 PM

I use Finder mostly, but Toast will compress VIDEO_TS files.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2007, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by horrorbiz View Post
In over 10 years I have never felt like I needed some special software to burn a CD.. what are the advantages? The finder works great as does itunes.
Finder and iTunes do not burn video DVDs.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 10:31 AM

I was just going to say... I threw a compiled AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS into a burn folder and burned it but Apple's DVD player won't recognize despite VLC being able to play it. I haven't tried it out on a commercial DVD player but I have a feeling it won't play.

On the bright side, my copy of Toast 5.2.3 STILL works in Leopard without a single complaint so far.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 11:50 AM

Yep - burning DVDs is more complex...

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
On the bright side, my copy of Toast 5.2.3 STILL works in Leopard without a single complaint so far.
That's.... odd...

Not saying that's not awesome for you, but even 7 has glitches that make use in Leo a PITA. I'm using 8, and even i needed an update to make it work fully in Leo.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
I was just going to say... I threw a compiled AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS into a burn folder and burned it but Apple's DVD player won't recognize despite VLC being able to play it. I haven't tried it out on a commercial DVD player but I have a feeling it won't play.

you own the DVD right? just use Handbrake to encode it into H.264...it looks marvelous and you can stash it on your HD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules