Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to use iMovie 2008?

How to use iMovie 2008?
MacPhly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 01:23 AM

I experienced great difficulty in using iMovie that came with my new Macbook that I purchased on Nov. 26, 2007. Tried obtaining the user manual, but unable to get the correct version for this release of iMovie.

Can someone please point me to where I can get the correct manual?

Also, can you recommend an alternative video making and/or editing application that is user-friendly (other than iMovie) that can be used with the built-in iSight camera or an add-on camera that is compatible with Mac OSX Leopard 10.5. My Logitech Quickcam webcam works beautifully on the Macbook with Skype.

thanks in advance for your assistance.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2008, 01:44 AM

Are you using iLife '06 or iLife '08?

If you're looking for a good way to learn the new iMovie '08, Peachpit Press has just released the Apple Certified Training Series book for iLife '08 (Peachpit: Apple Training Series: iLife 08 - $31.99)

MacPhly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 02:31 AM

Thanks for your quick reply.

At this early stage, I would prefer to use all the apps "out of the box" that came free with my new Macbook. Since iLife is not in my Applications folder, I assume Apple does not supply it free with OSX Leopard in the new Macbook. Therefore, can iMovie be used independently as a movie making and editing app without using iLife? I am unable to find out what version of iMovie came with the Leopard in my new macbook; perhaps someone who bought the same Macbook in late Nov.2007 can tell me what version of iMovie it is.

Alternatively, can someone recommend a freeware that can be used to make videos/movies on the Macbook with OS Leopard? I only want to make a simple video with the iSight, nothing fancy. In Windows, I used the software that came with the Logitech webcam and made many videos without any problem at all.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 03:20 AM

Actually, iMovie is part of the iLife suite, which should all be on your new MacBook. The entire suite is iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, iWeb and GarageBand.

Apple has the iMovie manual as well as several other resources (like video tutorials) on its iMovie support page. You can also use the Help menu to search for quick help on lots of common tasks.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MacPhly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2008, 02:25 PM

I managed to find an alternative video maker that uses the built-in iSight camera and is much easier to use than iMovie. It is called iCamShare at Arbor Bits - iCamShare

It records into avi format which can be played by all Windows computers as well, without requiring any video conversion. It costs $15 after the trial run, but much better than the many hours I've wasted and agonized over iMovie!

(when all you need is go to the corner store to buy milk, use the bicycle instead of a jet plane)

Cold Warrior
Jan 5, 2008, 02:37 PM

I'm glad you found a solution, but I'll respectfully disagree with your opinion on iMovie. I've always found it simple and intuitive to use.

Anyway, good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules