Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro not going to sleep? needs Ambien?

MacBook Pro not going to sleep? needs Ambien? (Page 2)
cougare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 08:59 AM

Hello all,

I have a couple of months old MBP17 and it also has this same sometimes-not-going-to-sleep problem from the beginning on. Has there been any progress in solving this issue ?

It's driving me nuts !!!

greetingz,
cougare

Pressly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 10:23 AM

Since my post some months back I've seen progress but not perfection in dealing with this problem. There does seem to be a curious link between the loss of BlueTooth from the System Preferences panel, which may be related to power issues inside the box. There is also the possibility that the hard drive may have played a part. When the Mac goes to sleep, it writes the contents of memory to the HD, the sleep light stays bright for a few seconds while this takes place. Once this is done, the light slowly pulses off and on in sleep , or wakes itself with a CD eject if sleep fails to start.

A couple of months back (just weeks past warranty) my hard drive conked out. Fortunately, I had a backup and the fix was ultra easy. Of course, I had to totally reload the system and other software. Since then. the Mac insomnia has been a bit less of a problem, but still crops up now and then.

Pressly

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2008, 07:16 PM

If you would like to test to see if safe sleep is the problem, you can deactivate it through terminal with these commands:

$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
$ sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=false
Restart your computer so that the change can take effect.

If you suspect a corrupt sleep image (or just want to delete it for good measure), then delete the following file after you have disabled safe sleep: /private/var/vm/sleepimage

To reactivate safe sleep mode, execute these commands:

$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3
$ sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=true
Be sure to reboot again.
17" Rev. A MBP (ATI X1600 256 MB, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5, Parallels Build 3214)

Pressly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2008, 04:14 PM

Following your instructions, I turned off safe sleep (opting to sleep without a net) and found that closing the lid on my MacBook put it promptly and properly to sleep. After a couple of days, I turned safe sleep back on and immediately experienced MacBook sleep startle. Having once again turned off safe (non)sleep, my Mac and I are again more comfortable

Thanks much for the tip!

Pressly

Pressly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2008, 06:46 PM

My sleep issue returned again, so again I went searching for the cause. Finding my wakeful MacBook very warm on the bottom, I surmised there must be something running in the background. Checking Activity Monitor, I found Nikon View Monitor occupying several megs of RAM, though I rarely attach my camera. I dumped it, and immediately my BlueTooth icon returned to System Preferences (it was always absent when the Mac was sleepless). So I looked up the Nikon View Monitor app in Spotlight and trashed it. That was over a week ago and not a problem since!

Ah! Sleep that knits the raveled sleeve of care.

Pressly

pixuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 06:32 PM

Having searched Google for a solution to this, and reading the various methods that have addressed the issue for others, I've come to the conclusion that there's not one cureall, and it will depend on individual set up and circumstances.

My symptoms where (after boiling it down to the stuff that mattered);

MacBook Pro would not shut down, it would go through the process only to restart at the end of the shut down procedure.

When putting the Mac into sleep by closing the lid, I could hear the CD eject constantly kicking in as though it were trying to start up then sleep over and over again. This lead to a hot mac in my laptop bag and fast battery drain.

What it turned out to be was the Sonnet ExpressCard/34 which I had recently bought as an alternative to an external SD card reader. If the ExpressCard is left in the Mac when trying to sleep, it seems to trigger a wake up. Eject the card and all is well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules