Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What does this error message mean?

What does this error message mean?
Buck_W
Senior User
Feb 1, 2008, 08:10 PM

After installing Leopard, I am having a difficult time with shared printing. The printer is an Epson Stylus CX7400. It is hardwired to a G-5 iMac which is hard wired to my home network (Linksys router). Whenever I try to print something (wirelessly) off my PowerBook, I receive the following error message:

/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/Filter/rastertoescp.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescp failed

Does anyone know what this means? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem.

BTW, I am able to print wirelessly through the network about 50% of the time. Weird.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2008, 05:35 PM

A user named "MisterMe" over at Macrumors posted this response to a very similar error to what you're experiencing:

I am betting that you are trying to use vendor-supplied drivers to print to networked printers. Vendor-supplied drivers are usually for a USB connection. You cannot use a USB driver to control a Windows-shared printer. You have to download and install the CUPS driver for your model Epson.

Dunno if that helps. The original forum post is here: 2 printers on the network, Can only connect to 1 - Mac Forums
17" Rev. A MBP (ATI X1600 256 MB, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5, Parallels Build 3214)

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Feb 8, 2008, 05:56 PM

Thanks Mark! That did the trick! I downloaded the Gutenprint driver and I am back in business!
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules