Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > cash or credit

cash or credit
macrocks
Jun 16, 2008, 04:12 PM

hey does any one know if i will be able to pay for the iphone 3g with cash or credit because when the first gen came out i herd that you had to pay with credit by the way i am going to a att store

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2008, 04:35 PM

It hasn't been announced but since you are required to activate in-store, they aren't likely to let you use cash.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

realisticdropcard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2008, 04:45 PM

you have to activate in store which means you probably will have to use credit

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 04:59 PM

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pay for the phone itself with cash. Money is money.

macrocks  (op)
Jun 16, 2008, 05:12 PM

yea i would think you should be able to pay with cash but i will pay credit just in case

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 05:20 PM

I remember late last year when all of a sudden, Apple was restricting iPhone sales to credit card customers only. What I suggested to a few people was to put the balance on a prepaid debit card and pay that way. Seemed to work for a lot of people. YMMV though.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 05:24 PM

Paper or plastic?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 05:25 PM

Like it or not, a normal cell phone is one of those things that requires a credit check. It's a recurring monthly fee so they want the information to see if they think you'll pay it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macrocks  (op)
Jun 16, 2008, 10:18 PM

so when i buy the phone the people at att will have to open the iphone box. and use my iphone

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 10:45 PM

That's what I'm worried about. No way am I letting some AT&T store employee unbox my iPhone. I paid for the box and experience too!

macrocks  (op)
Jun 16, 2008, 10:57 PM

yea i know i dont want some att person unboxing a phone that i paid 300 dollars for thats just stupid

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by macrocks View Post
yea i know i dont want some att person unboxing a phone that i paid 300 dollars for thats just stupid
Have you ever bought a cell phone before? I've never bought a phone that WASN'T opened by a store employee.

macrocks  (op)
Jun 16, 2008, 11:32 PM

the thing is that the first gen iphone could be bought online and activated at home. but now you have to activate them in store and and like a lot of other people they rather be the first person to open the phone

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Paper or plastic?
In Hong Kong, $10 bill is made out of polymer.

Last year, I paid with both credit card and cash during the iPhone launch day.

This time is really confusing. I wish the phone is non-subsidized.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pay for the phone itself with cash. Money is money.
True but the ATT stores will not be equipped to handle that type of influx of cash. Dealing with credit cards simplifies things quiet a bit, i.e., not worrying about a huge bag of cash sitting in the back room, or needing someone to make a bank run etc.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Actually, if you go to the Federal Treasury Site, they have a nice explanation about how, in fact, no retailer or business in the USA is under any legal obligation to accept cash for products or services. Any business can simply say they do not accept cash, and there is no legal basis for telling them they must. There simply is no statue that mandates that US legal tender must be accepted - so while money may be money, from a business point of view, money need not mean cash.

macrocks  (op)
Jun 17, 2008, 01:06 PM

att is werid about letting people use cash in store because i can not pay my bill with cash in the store.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kvasir View Post
Actually, if you go to the Federal Treasury Site, they have a nice explanation about how, in fact, no retailer or business in the USA is under any legal obligation to accept cash for products or services. Any business can simply say they do not accept cash, and there is no legal basis for telling them they must. There simply is no statue that mandates that US legal tender must be accepted - so while money may be money, from a business point of view, money need not mean cash.
I never said that they had to legally allow it. I just meant that as far as cash goes, many businesses don't care. It's still money.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 03:20 PM

I thought they (AT&T, Apple) only accepted credit cards to be able to restrict the amount of iPhones purchased by individual people. They didn't want the dealers buy up huge amounts, unlock them and resell them.

-t

macrocks  (op)
Jun 17, 2008, 03:20 PM

that was the big reason for making people buy with credit cards

Forum Links
Forum Rules