Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Does the iPhone optimize (shrink) high-res cover art images?

Does the iPhone optimize (shrink) high-res cover art images?
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2008, 07:10 PM

Does anyone know if iTunes optimizes cover art that gets synced to the iPhone by reducing the original (in my case, very high-res) artwork, or does it simply sync over the full sized cover art image when a DVD rip I've made gets synced over?

I ask because I've discovered a site that, upon signing up for a paid membership, allows you to browse through and download from an extensive catalog of high-resolution DVD & CD cover art...I've found the average file size to be about 3-4MB per graphic...

If I sync over dozens of albums and movies with these high-res graphics embedded and there is in fact no on-the-fly optimization (shrinkage) of these files, then that would definitely be something I'd like to know so that I can batch resize my downloaded cover art prior to embedding it in my movies and music ~ so that I can save what might amount to a considerable amount of space in the end...

Any input would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

macrocks
Jul 19, 2008, 02:40 AM

yes itunes optimizes all images for the iphone or ipod.

loren s
Senior User
Sep 30, 2008, 08:37 PM

Can that be turned off? I hate the optimizing. It makes zooming useless. Unless you like blocky pixels.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by loren s View Post
Can that be turned off? I hate the optimizing. It makes zooming useless. Unless you like blocky pixels.
That would represent choice in how you use your iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules