Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Madden 09

Madden 09
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2008, 12:13 PM

I'm not sure how many other sports game fans there are out there, but I've been playing Madden almost every year since '92 on the Genesis. I love the series, and for whatever reason, I'm not one of the "they've rebranded the same package" complainers.

Here's the reason for my post: Superstar mode is broken.

I CANNOT get better than a 4.9 40-yard dash with a running back. I've tried every possible method, and I'm getting nothing. If I speed up my left/right stick tapping (and keep a steady rhythm), my guy stumbles at the end and I wind up with a 5.2 or so. I've tried this for days, and I can't create a player with decent spend. My RB currently has a speed of 77.

Also, the linebackers and defensive linemen apparently have running back magnets attached to their hands. They'll be behind me, and suddenly my player slows down (from 77 to about 40) and gets yanked to the beautiful new grass texture.

Anyone else having Madden issues? I don't have problems in Franchise mode, but Superstar is giving me fits, and I loved this mode in the PS2/XBox versions.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2008, 07:57 PM

Exactly what I thought: MacNN hates Madden.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2008, 08:19 PM

It's all Brett Favre's fault.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Exactly what I thought: MacNN hates Madden.
Actually, we hate you. Anyone else asked, we would have helped.
My guess is the other Madden Players haven't done that mode yet.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Actually, we hate you. Anyone else asked, we would have helped.
My guess is the other Madden Players haven't done that mode yet.
What is wrong with me? Is there an odor I'm unaware of? Do I smack too loudly when I eat cereal?
I don't blame them now.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 12:24 PM

What is wrong with me?
Serial console dater.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 12:26 PM

Don't judge me. Console promiscuity is not a crime.

bpl323
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2008, 05:22 PM

I like the Wii version a lot.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2008, 10:01 AM

I have Madden '08 for the Gamecube, and I just can't bring myself to buy '09. How different can it really be? I have generally bought a new football game every time I get a new system. I've had Madden 92, 95, 99, 02, and 08. I figure this one should last me until whatever console I get to replace the Wii.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 10:04 AM

For the enthusiast, I always figured it was more for the rosters than anything else. AT this point I'd say 90% of the changes you see in gameplay nowadays are there merely because they equate change with being an improvement. It also helps keep the racket alive, as I figure the majority of sports games enthusiasts would be happier (or satisfied) just paying $20 for a roster updates and additions each season.

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Arkham_c View Post
I have Madden '08 for the Gamecube, and I just can't bring myself to buy '09. How different can it really be? I have generally bought a new football game every time I get a new system. I've had Madden 92, 95, 99, 02, and 08. I figure this one should last me until whatever console I get to replace the Wii.
For me, the jump from Madden 08 to 09 is huge. Graphics wise, it's a massive upgrade - the game looks amazing. It also feels amazing, everything just seems much more life like - from the weather to the running game, to the loft on the long balls, to the impressive audio that really is noticeably better then last year. It's almost worth it for the color commentary alone!

The idea is the same, of course, but 09 has blown me away so far - it's easily the most fun I've had playing a Madden game, which is the whole point, right?

I guess I just became a Madden fanboy.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 11:37 AM

I'm experiencing constant crashes.

It has frozen up on the playcalling screen in Superstar mode during the game several times now. I hear player noises (and cheesy smack talk) in the background, but nothing happens.

The other, more common, problem is that it freezes up while loading games. This has probably happened to me a dozen times so far. None of my other games have done this, so it probably isn't my PS3. It's getting pretty frustrating.

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 11:10 AM

I'm experiencing constant crashes.

It has frozen up on the playcalling screen in Superstar mode during the game several times now. I hear player noises (and cheesy smack talk) in the background, but nothing happens.

The other, more common, problem is that it freezes up while loading games. This has probably happened to me a dozen times so far. None of my other games have done this, so it probably isn't my PS3. It's getting pretty frustrating.
I haven't had a single issue like that, though I have the 360 version.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Yes, yes! Rub it in!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Actually, I read an update from EA saying that the second patch was coming out for both the 360 and PS3. Apparently the issues have been affecting both consoles, but not all users have experienced it. I tried to go back and find the link; I'm sorry I don't have it ready.

Apparently it only crashes if you play more than one game in a single sitting in Franchise or Superstar modes. If I sit down to play Madden, I'm playing two or three games...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 12:54 PM

Apparently the issues have been affecting both consoles, but not all users have experienced it.
Whatever lets you sleep at night.
bwahahaha, I'm going to enjoy this thread

dustrho
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2008, 01:49 PM

I have it for the 360, and I have very mixed feelings about the game. Visually, it is a MAJOR improvement to last year's version. However, the gameplay is much more difficult than I've ever experienced in any of the Madden games. I'm not saying I'm an outstanding Maddenite here, but in all the other versions I was at least able to run and throw the ball. In Madden 09 it's almost impossible. What pisses me off the most is when you throw a long ball to a WIDE OPEN receiver, and the POS just drops the damn thing. WTF!?

So, here's what I'm doing with the game. I'm playing with the Chicago Bears in franchise mode. I went 1-3 in the preseason and I lost the first regular season game to the Indianapolis Colts. That last game was starting to be an ass-whipping, but I rallied in the second half and almost won the game. It was a very stressful game with an almost happy ending.

Do I hate this year's Madden? No, but I'm not 100% sold on it. Like I said, it looks great but it is a much harder game than any previous Madden made (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by dustrho View Post
I have it for the 360, and I have very mixed feelings about the game. Visually, it is a MAJOR improvement to last year's version. However, the gameplay is much more difficult than I've ever experienced in any of the Madden games. I'm not saying I'm an outstanding Maddenite here, but in all the other versions I was at least able to run and throw the ball. In Madden 09 it's almost impossible. What pisses me off the most is when you throw a long ball to a WIDE OPEN receiver, and the POS just drops the damn thing. WTF!?

So, here's what I'm doing with the game. I'm playing with the Chicago Bears in franchise mode. I went 1-3 in the preseason and I lost the first regular season game to the Indianapolis Colts. That last game was starting to be an ass-whipping, but I rallied in the second half and almost won the game. It was a very stressful game with an almost happy ending.

Do I hate this year's Madden? No, but I'm not 100% sold on it. Like I said, it looks great but it is a much harder game than any previous Madden made (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).
Do NOT use the custom IQ. I don't know if you are or not, but it's garbage. I prefer to adjust the sliders how I need them. I jack up the offensive sliders, but leave the defensive ones fairly low (I suck at defense).

I agree with you that this year's Madden is in a weird place. It's beautiful and has some great features, but it's more difficult in some strange ways. What I don't like is the RB tackle-magnets in the DL's palms.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Whatever lets you sleep at night.
bwahahaha, I'm going to enjoy this thread
Do what you must. I'm still loving my PS3 (especially since upgrading my Netflix to BluRay when available).
Sorry about that.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Aug 29, 2008 at 03:21 PM. )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 02:38 PM

No white text? You sir are sucking the fun out of this.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 03:21 PM

Fixed?

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 09:39 PM

Actually, I read an update from EA saying that the second patch was coming out for both the 360 and PS3. Apparently the issues have been affecting both consoles, but not all users have experienced it. I tried to go back and find the link; I'm sorry I don't have it ready.

Apparently it only crashes if you play more than one game in a single sitting in Franchise or Superstar modes. If I sit down to play Madden, I'm playing two or three games...

That's possible. I've got a franchise started but I don't know if I've yet played two games in a row. I mostly stick to online matches.

NYK Ace
Senior User
Aug 30, 2008, 04:51 PM

i have it for ps3, haven't bought a madden since 2006 on ps2, and i love the new version. The rewind is actually cooler then i thought (especially when i throw a pick) and the graphics are great.

no crashes or freezes and i have sat down and played 4 or 5 games at a time with madden IQ on.
( Last edited by NYK Ace; Aug 31, 2008 at 09:57 PM. )

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by NYK Ace View Post
i have it for ps3, haven't bought a madden since 2006 on ps2, and i love the new version. The rewind is actually cooler then i though (especially when i throw a pick) and the graphics are great.
The coolest part about Rewind is the animation that brings you back to the line.

I use one per game in Franchise mode. It helps level out the playing field after the difficulty increase.

Forum Links
Forum Rules