Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > the best battery saver?

the best battery saver?
HealthBuffMe
Jul 7, 2012, 07:20 PM

What is the best BATTERY SAVER app?
The one that could optimize and make your batt life lasts long?
Thanks!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2012, 10:44 PM

There is no such thing.

eyepon35
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2012, 10:16 AM

The best you could hope for is an app that manages your idle time and turns off uneeded services to save power when you forget to turn it off yourself

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by eyepon35 View Post
The best you could hope for is an app that manages your idle time and turns off uneeded services to save power when you forget to turn it off yourself

That is exactly what the operating system does.

HealthBuffMe  (op)
Jul 24, 2012, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. Exactly. How about task killers for my iPhone? Do you have any ideas on which apps are recommended? Is there such a thing as task killers for iPhone or this is just for androids?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by HealthBuffMe View Post
Thanks for the replies. Exactly. How about task killers for my iPhone? Do you have any ideas on which apps are recommended? Is there such a thing as task killers for iPhone or this is just for androids?
There is no such thing as a task manager or a task killer for iPhone.

iOS was designed from the start to make managing tasks irrelevant. Even if you use the built-in task switcher (really just a list of last-used apps) by double-pressing the home button (or four-finger swiping up on the iPad), and press-and-hold on an icon to make it wobble and then "quit", you're usually (with very few exceptions) not actually quitting the app, but just removing it from that list.

Any app that purports to be taking care of system-level stuff like "optimizing" your battery or running processes is a scam.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2012, 11:07 AM

Setting display brightness to the minimum you can tolerate may be helpful.

ibook_steve
Jul 25, 2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There is no such thing as a task manager or a task killer for iPhone.
iOS was designed from the start to make managing tasks irrelevant. Even if you use the built-in task switcher (really just a list of last-used apps) by double-pressing the home button (or four-finger swiping up on the iPad), and press-and-hold on an icon to make it wobble and then "quit", you're usually (with very few exceptions) not actually quitting the app, but just removing it from that list.
Any app that purports to be taking care of system-level stuff like "optimizing" your battery or running processes is a scam.
I'm not so sure this is entirely true. If an app is stuck for some reason, quitting the app from the app switcher does reset it. I've had to do this recently with the crappy Sirius app.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Even if you use the built-in task switcher (really just a list of last-used apps) by double-pressing the home button (or four-finger swiping up on the iPad), and press-and-hold on an icon to make it wobble and then "quit", you're usually (with very few exceptions) not actually quitting the app, but just removing it from that list.
I'm not so sure this is entirely true. If an app is stuck for some reason, quitting the app from the app switcher does reset it. I've had to do this recently with the crappy Sirius app.
It *is* entirely true, because of the little bit I bolded up above, for your benefit.

Sirius is a streaming app, yes? That's one of the exceptions.

For regular apps, that will ONLY work if the app is still in memory. I.e., if you quit out of the app and then IMMEDIATELY hit the switcher and kill it.

If you open another app or two in the meantime, the last app will simply be thrown out of RAM, and "quitting" it from the switcher then will do exactly NOTHING except remove it from the list of last-run apps.

I've had to do this once on my phone with the camera app, and once on a customer's phone with the camera app.

HealthBuffMe  (op)
Aug 5, 2012, 02:03 PM

Thank you all!

I guess, considering all of your suggestions, I might not be needing a battery saving app indeed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules