Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just had to laugh at PC guy

Just had to laugh at PC guy
satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2001, 10:20 AM

A friend of mine says he's in the market for a laptop. He's been eyeing the Vaio's but can't part with the $.
I showed him the TiG4. He says it looks cool..but too bad it doesn't run Windows!
I told him that's why it's good...because it runs Mac OS.
Can you imagine running that Window's crap on a beautiful machine like the Ti?
Oh well, some people will never learn.

godzappa
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2001, 12:40 PM

It\s kinda like having a 98 year old man who is legally blind driving a Porche 911 isnt it?

James
PowerMac G4 DP867 [DDR]
PowerMac G4 400 [Yikes]
15GB iPod 3G
iSight
2003 MINI Cooper

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 7, 2001, 11:54 PM

Or having that same old man married to Anna Nicole Smith.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 02:18 AM

Ick, what an awful contrast....he *wanted* it to run windows? Why? You've got elegance, beatuty, and then a frustrating mess with windows. Geesh, and the Mac OS looks so much more sophisticated and just so much better than the stupid windows ui. OH well, too bad for him.

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

JLannoo
May 8, 2001, 02:36 AM

Well Win ME is crap I'll give you that,and most Windows users agree with me I'm sure. However Windows 2000 is a very good OS...very stable and easy to use IMO.the sophisticated look you mention will be addressed with XP and unlike OS X will give you the abilty to turn off the eye candy if you so desire.

------------------
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot

G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro

Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot
G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2001, 02:41 AM

I suppose you were showing off your elite hardware in your signature.

JLannoo wanted to get into a pissing contest.

- Sean Yepez

1.2-gigahertz Athlon "Thunderbird", 512 megabytes of PC-2100 DDR-SDRAM, GeForce2 Ultra

800-megahertz Athlon, 640 megabytes of PC-133 SDRAM, GeForce3

500-megahertz PowerBook G4, 256 megabytes of RAM, Rage Mobility 128

500-megahertz PowerBook G3, 384 megabytes of RAM, Rage Mobility 128

Owned.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2001, 02:43 AM

Yes, Windows 2000 is a great operating system compared to Windows ME or Windows 98. It hasn't really ever crashed on me unless I tell it to do something stupid like open up 200 mail windows at once.

Quake III: Arena framerates are more steady and plentiful in Windows 2000 (as far as I can tell).

JLannoo
May 8, 2001, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I suppose you were showing off your elite hardware in your signature.

JLannoo wanted to get into a pissing contest.

- Sean Yepez

1.2-gigahertz Athlon "Thunderbird", 512 megabytes of PC-2100 DDR-SDRAM, GeForce2 Ultra

800-megahertz Athlon, 640 megabytes of PC-133 SDRAM, GeForce3

500-megahertz PowerBook G4, 256 megabytes of RAM, Rage Mobility 128

500-megahertz PowerBook G3, 384 megabytes of RAM, Rage Mobility 128

Owned.
Yes I know your just joking around I also know alot about computers and would never attempt to brag about my modest systems.

I like the idea of showing your system(s) in your Sig (I list my two main Machines)and I wish more people did so. Regardless if they have the lastest thing on the block. Its fun and can be helpful when asking for help etc.

For example maybe you could better ask/ answer a question that involves someone with the same system as you. Or someone could ask me a PC question as you can tell I have one....or maybe even a TiVo question Plus I'm nosy and like to see what people have.

------------------
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot

G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro

Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot
G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS

z0mbi3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2001, 07:57 AM

I just wanted to tell everybody that sometimes one needs windows.
I'm a Computer Engineering student and I got myself a TiBook 400 and I run windows (thru VPC) because the CPU simulator (the teachers developed it) program doesn't run on mac...
I tried making it run on OSX but it doesn't work because there isn't a TCL/Tk port... and on windows it runs kinda nice...my best bet would be linux, but I bought an apple laptop so just I could stay away of complex configurations (hey, I'm a sysadmin, I know exactly what linux is and needs...). Sure my friends mock me saying "Hey, you got an expensive apple computer to run windows ?!?!?!" bah, the h3ll with them, I just know that MacOS is sweet (and for someone that hadn't use MacOS 9 before, I think I'm in love (I haven't booted OSX in a couple of days...and I have no remorse)).
Just to let you know that there are people that NEED windows (even if it is to run that ancient game they have...)
btw, Win2000 rocks as well....*the* best MS OS ever...

------------------

YEAH ! First POST !!!

[This message has been edited by z0mbi3 (edited 05-11-2001).]
z0mbi3@TiBook 400 (w/384 MB RAM)

"One good thing about music, when it hits you you feel no pain" - Brad Nowell (Sublime) (Bob Marley's Cover - Trenchtown Rock)

MacAgent
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by z0mbi3:
Win2000 rocks as well....*the* best MS OS ever...
That's not saying much.

------------------
d

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
May 11, 2001, 01:26 PM

I'm a Computer Engineering student and I got myself a TiBook 400 and I run windows (thru VPC) because the CPU simulator (the teachers developed it) program doesn't run on mac...
Well put, z0mbi3.
I was pretty sceptical of VPC at first, but I finally got a clue. I can now do all of my development work on my PowerBook. Want *nix?... I can always boot into Mac OS X. The "shared folder" feature of VPC is pretty useful too - I've been able to say, "bye bye" to ftp'ing back and forth between two different machines just to test my work. And I'm sure glad I no longer have to lug a PC laptop around.

[This message has been edited by daimoni (edited 05-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by daimoni (edited 05-11-2001).]

Kestral
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 02:03 PM

I tried making it run on OSX but it doesn't work because there isn't a TCL/Tk port... and on windows it runs kinda nice...my best bet would be linux, but I bought an apple laptop so just I could stay away of complex configurations (hey, I'm a sysadmin, I know exactly what linux is and needs...). Sure my friends mock me saying "Hey, you got an expensive apple computer to run windows ?!?!?!" bah, the h3ll with them, I just know that MacOS is sweet (and for someone that hadn't use MacOS 9 before, I think I'm in love (I haven't booted OSX in a couple of days...and I have no remorse)).
Just to let you know that there are people that NEED windows (even if it is to run that ancient game they have...)
btw, Win2000 rocks as well....*the* best MS OS ever...

Hi Zombi - welcome to the board!!

Just wanted to mention, why not run MacOS 9, Windows AND Linux? You can create a new hard drive in VPC and install a PC version of Linux. That way you can run all 3 systems!

Kestral

PS: in a way, I love how VPC works - I wish there was a "VPC Mac" like they have "VPC Windows" - so that I can create hard drives with various system versions (ie. OS 9, heck, even older MacOS'es). I would prefer that method of running Mac OS 9 programs in OS X over using the current way "Classic" is implemented. It's much more neat and clean using the VPC hard drive image method because if you eff up a hard drive, it's just a disk image to delete, rather than worrying about the eff-up spilling over to the rest of the drive. The containment utility the VPC method provides makes it attractive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules