Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB and PowerBook G3

USB and PowerBook G3
Junebug172
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2001, 08:45 PM

When I plug my USB into my PowerBook, nothing is recognized until I shut the computer down and restart. Is this the only way to get my mouse and printer to respond or is the PowerBook supposed to see the USB without a restart?null

TazmanDman
Aug 16, 2001, 09:53 PM

USB is supposed to be "hot-pluggable" which in essence means that no restarts are necessary, which means that something might be wrong with your USB drivers... what OS are you running?

-Taz
- Taz

teufel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2001, 05:44 AM

I thought USB was hot-pluggable until my company gave me a Compaq notebook, which has a very unpractical usb port out in the back, and when i connected it to a usb hub, the manual wrote clearly that the hub must be unconnected from hte USB at boot, and only after booting up the stupid Win machine can you insert the hub in the USB, and then it becomes hot pluggable.
Maybe it's the same thing too with the Mac ? My experience witht he Imac was better, until it killed a 120 m floppy disk drive over a read error...

TazmanDman
Aug 17, 2001, 02:39 PM

Unfortunately in the Wintel world, "hot-pluggable" isn't always the case, mainly due to Windows itself and driver/compatability problems. But for Apple, it definitely is. Apple popularized USB with the introduction of the iMac in 1997...true hot pluggability with the mouse and keyboard. You should have no problem with USB on your powerbook. My powerbook (firewire 2000) works great with my Zip CDR, Apple Pro Keyboard, and printer all connected together through the USB ports on the Keyboard and the ports built in the machine

-Taz
- Taz

Junebug172  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2001, 06:14 AM

Running 9.1. I'm also using a USB hub and I don't know if that makes a difference.

H�rnchen
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2001, 06:29 AM

Hey TazmanDman,
in the MacWorld hot pluggable doesn't work allways! They make the same stupid things as the Wintels. Don't read to much Apple ads, make your own experiences and read a lot of threads on this and other forums!

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: H�rnchen ]
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Paul S
Senior User
Aug 20, 2001, 09:49 AM

I have 2 Lombard PowerBook G3s at home and plug and unplug a keyboard (for the number pad), 3rd party mouse, printer, and scanner all the time on both. I have never had a problem with that. I'm running 9.0.4. You may want to reinstall the USB drivers and see if that helps. If not, set the Extensions Manager to OS 9.1 All extensions, then duplicate the set. Turn on the device specific drivers and restart. If that works, you've got and extension conflict with something else on the machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules