Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Google Fiber's expansion pegged to be Research Triangle, NC

Google Fiber's expansion pegged to be Research Triangle, NC
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 24, 2015, 02:23 PM

According to "industry sources," Google's next fiber construction is slated for both the Research Triangle in Raleigh-Durham and the Charlotte area in North Carolina. Google has sent out invititations to press in the area for Wednesday and Thursday for an unspecified event, which has been pegged as the official announcement of the project. The high-speed fiber-optic network is in Kansas City now, and is expanding into Provo, Utah, and somewhat problematically, into Austin, Texas.

WRAL TechWire's source, who wishes to remain anonymous, says that "a formal announcement might come as early as next week, at Google events in Raleigh and Durham, but the company won't say what those events are about. Google is seeking bids to begin building a fiber network as early as April. Drill crews have been sought for the fiber-laying process."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 24, 2015 at 11:26 PM. )

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2015, 03:03 PM

Charlotte is not in the Triangle. Raleigh, Durham, Cary and Chapel Hill. Charlotte is 4 hours away.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 24, 2015, 03:06 PM

Yeah, I know, but I see where the wording is unclear. I'll fix it.

prl99
Senior User
Jan 24, 2015, 05:00 PM

So the areas Google is installing fiber into are those without the antiquated rules against municipalities installing their own broadband connections. yes/no? Will Google install fiber alongside other competitors cabling? Will these towns allow only Google fiber, kicking out the existing broadband infrastructure, or allow competitors to remain? Will Google end up getting preferential easements rights for new homes? I'm all for competition but I'd really rather see my town take over existing Comcast cable (imminent domain) and treat internet services as a public utility, installing cable/fiber to every now house then allowing ISPs to bid on the whole town or specific sections. All the ISPs would be responsible for would be the hub equipment while the city would be responsible for the cable between the hub buildings and the houses. We have Frontier telephone (took over after Verizon left the state) but their DSL maxes out at 6Mbps, not up to the 10Mbps standard for broadband as specified by our president.

pairof9s
Senior User
Jan 26, 2015, 09:51 AM

Well, Charlotte's main cable/ISP is Time Warner...I have a hard time believing they will relinquish the market, regardless of who comes to town. While it's best that both entities exist, it does raise the question on how this happen, and/or will TW be compensated for existing infrastructure that will be used (i.e. - residential cabling).

Forum Links
Forum Rules