Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Firewire PowerBook heat venting?

Firewire PowerBook heat venting?
ekoelbel
Mar 24, 2000, 05:41 PM

My FW Powerbook seems to run relatively hot.
The keyboard and particularly the trackpad are warm to the touch. (presumably the heat vents through the keyboard?)

I have had no performance problems, and the heat level seems constant even in the face of 4 or 5 hours of active use, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar experiences or thoughts.

Isn't there some shareware the monitors heat somehow and makes sure it's within normal operating levels?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 25, 2000, 02:12 AM

It is nothing to worry about, PowerBooks (and iBooks, for that matter) have been known as "lap warmers" for quite some time now...

The bulk of the heat does not go through the keyboard, in fact, it is designed to prevent just that. Most of the heat is dispersed through the underside of the machine (didn't you notice how hot it gets on the bottom?!?), and there is a tiny fan in the machine, but I have never had it turn on on my 400MHZ Pismo.

tooki

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2000, 03:50 AM

My 500 PB gets warm, but nnot too hot. I can feel the fan venting hot air out of the left hand vent when things get warm.

One thing I have done is to prop the thing up a little bit to get air underneath. I have a thing paperback boook under the aft half to let air circulate. Seems to help.

Don
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

ekoelbel
Mar 25, 2000, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I'll prop it up a little. I haven't noticed the fan kick on yet (gee - i hope it will if it needs to!)

I was mostly surprised by the fact the trackpad was noticeably warmed; I've had the opportunity to use a revA iBook for awhile and that trackpad stays cool (in fact, that whole machine stays quite cool!)

thanks again!

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2000, 09:12 AM

Actually, the keyboard *is* the primary source of heat disappation. (i cant spell, i know.) Apple warns, that they dont want the machine operating while the lid is closed because it would block the heat being release through the keyboard.

As for the hot button, yes, i have the same problem too.

ATP Tour Fan
Mar 30, 2000, 11:33 AM

Well, right underneath the trackpad and button lies the power manager card, so that gets warm after some use. It's nothing to be worried about.

Coyote
Mar 30, 2000, 11:44 AM

Actually, the heat dissapation on the Pismos (and likely the Lombards), is _not_ through the keyboard. As previously stated, they are designed to vent the heat down through the base of the computer, or out via the fan. The misconception that the keyboard is the primary heat sink is probably due to the fact that it was the primary heat sink on some previous powerbooks, most notably the Powerbook 1400. On the PB1400, the keyboard is mounted on a solid aluminum plate, that interfaces directly with the processor's heat sink. This, in combination with the lack of a fan, made the keyboard the primary heat sink on that computer. This is no longer the case with the current models. There is even an Apple TIL article describing the approved methods for running the computers with the clamshell lid closed.

-Coyote

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2000, 12:19 PM

How the hell is a PowerBook supposed to vent heat if it's sitting on a DESK?!

This is what Apple has to say:

Question 8: Can you run the system with the lid closed?

Answer: We do not recommend running the system with the top casing or lid down and this feature is no longer available. One of the main ways the system cools is by allowing hot air to escape through the keyboard. By closing the lid, you will impede the cooling process.

A PowerBook cant vent heat if it's sitting on a desk. And, in a related story, why vent heat DOWN, when naturally, hot air rises? It would go thru the keyboard naturally.

ProfDave
Mar 30, 2000, 01:11 PM

I have a VERY hot trackpad button while the battery is charging with the AC adapter. Otherwise it stays cools. When I say it's hot, I mean it is VERY hot (though only while recharging, otherwise warm to cool),

An Apple level two tech is supposed to call but none have yet.

Anyone dealing with this? (I saw some references to it, but I mean this thing is HOT).

Thanks

ekoelbel
Mar 30, 2000, 02:05 PM

Now that you mention it, my trackpad is warmest with the ac adapter in and with the battery recharging. It's cooler if running off battery, or if the a/c adapter is in and the battery is fully charged.

At its warmest, it is "pretty warm". I wouldn't say very hot, but noticeably warm to the touch (but certainly not close to uncomfortably so!)

I'd be interested to hear what Apple says.

thanks!

mattmarshall
Senior User
Mar 30, 2000, 03:35 PM

hey guys.....

question 8 may say not to keep the lid closed because of the heat, but the INDTENDED cooling area is specified on page 70 of the "Setting up your Powerbook" booklet that comes with the machine.....under the title "using your powerbook" it says:

"When using your powerbook or when charging the battery, it is normal for the bottom of the case to get warm. The botton of the Powerbook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from the inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow that keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures."

so, the keyboard may get a little hot, which is why they tell you not to close the lid, but the cooling surface is the bottom.....

[This message has been edited by mattmarshall (edited 03-30-2000).]

Junebug172
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2000, 04:13 PM

I've had the fan kick in on me after using the Powerbook for a while while laying in bed. It cools the bottom of the case down pretty quickly. It kicked on for only about a minute or two and wasn't too loud.

Coyote
Mar 30, 2000, 05:52 PM

PcTek:

Make sure that you're looking up information for the correct model. What you have been saying is flat out wrong in the case of Lombard and Pismo.

The question 8 you reference is from Apple TIL article: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58334
(PowerBook G3 Series: Design Elements FAQ) This article pertains only to the Wallstreet series of Powerbooks.

For the Lombards and Pismos, the applicable article from the Apple TIL applies is instead: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58334 (PowerBook (Bronze keyboard and FireWire): How to Operate with Clamshell Closed). This information is also repeated on pg. 39 of the user's manual under "Using Your PowerBook With the Display Closed."

Plus, as was already mentioned, the manual also notes on pg 70 under "Using Your PowerBook" that: "The bottom of the PowerBook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow that keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures."

Once again. This whole thing about venting heat through the keyboard applies only to the older powerbooks, not Lombard and definitely not Pismo. Older Powerbooks like the 1400 definitely vented heat through the keyboard. The Wallstreets also make too much heat to operate closed. Things have changed.

-Coyote

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 2, 2000, 02:04 AM

Also, the metal cover over the RAM slot and processor card in a Pismo is called the "heat shield". Well, what is it supposed to shield from heat? I would venture to guess the keyboard.

tooki

SuperMotty
Apr 3, 2000, 10:05 AM

Hmm... the TIL article says: "3. Connect the Apple external USB keyboard and mouse, and then press the Power button on the keyboard to start up the PowerBook."

Yup. This is exactly what I want to do - only problem is, Apple doesn't sell Apple external keyboards, and I can't find them on a couple of reseller sites I checked. (Yes, I *know* there are other keyboards that are easier to type on, but I like having the little Apple logo on everything...) Does anyone know where Apple USB keyboards can be ordered?

Thanx... Thomas =)

legend364
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2000, 10:58 AM

The keyboard/trackpad/bottom of my Pismo 500 gets a little warm, but nothing compared to my Walstreet 300.

My *BIG* problem is with that fan...no matter what the situation is (dim screen/spin down hd/vent bottom) that fans keeps on going. It starts just after the computer is running for two or three minutes and never turns off, and now after four weeks of use the fan is starting to buzzzz louder. This is starting to get on my nerves, especially when I'm is a silent classroom and my computer sounds like a Dirt Devil.

Is this common with the 500's? Maybe I should call Apple...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 3, 2000, 01:42 PM

SuperMotty: The "official" way would be to go to an Apple authorized repair center (i.e. your local authorized dealer) and order the Apple keyboard and mouse as replacement parts. But the keyboard will run you about $90 and the mouse $70.

BUT: You can get Apple USB keyboards and mice a dime a dozen on eBay. Just do a search for Apple USB Keyboard. Bidding often ends at about $15 for a keyboard, probably $5-10 for the mouse.

Or look in the back of any recent Macworld, there are lots of small companies that sell them.

tooki

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2000, 03:49 AM

Coyote is absolutely correct, I have a Lombard 400 and DAMN when i'm encoding mp3's playing a mov and a DVD at the same time, it gets really hot (yes, i was doing all this on purpose just to get the fan to turn on, i was curious) The bottom of machine if you notice is raised by 4 tiny feet, this is to allow air to flow underneath. Since the idea of cooling is amount of air flow, not necessarily direction, this is why apple had it dissapate heat throught the bottom of the powerbook. And plus, you'll notice that it gets much much hotter on the bottom than through the keyboard. Well, after 5 months of trying, the fan finally came on yesterday after updating to 9.0.4, perhaps that had something to do with it? Does anyone here know of a piece of software or a way to get the fan to turn on at a lower temperature? Becuase my machine is on 24-7 and it is not nearly as hot as some other laptops i've used, but i'd like the fan to come on at like 165 degrees Farenheit instead of 195 Farenheit.......any help would be appreciated! :-)

LrdStoner
Apr 8, 2000, 01:04 PM

I've had my Pismo 500 since very early march and I've never heard the fan come on. I have a metal desk and when I sit with the laptop on my lap I sit indian style so the only thing below the laptop is air. (It rests on my legs around the edges) That seems to keep it cool enough even when playing DVDs or analyzing seti packets. For anyone who thinks that a pismo is hot you should try to put a dell inspiron on your lap. Man say goodbye to kids forever. We are all so lucky to have G3 chips.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2000, 12:17 AM

Called Apple about my fan being on all the time. Tech support said that the fan SHOULD NOT be on all the time. I am sending my Pismo 500 back to them tomorrow to replace the I/O board. They also said that the I/O board may be the reason for my wake from sleep crashes.

Don
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules