Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Aliens VS Predator for Mac News

Aliens VS Predator for Mac News
DoeJury
Apr 30, 2001, 01:19 PM

<sigh> Just wondering if anybody's heard any updates on this. Cursed Fox Intereactive, get your **** together!

JGD
--

20" iMac G5 & 20 GB U2 iPod

Archangel
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2001, 05:39 PM

I haven't heard anything in months. In fact, I totally forgot about the game until now. . .

I wouldn't be too surprised if it never sees the light of day.

------------------
I got a yellow slinky from Outpost.com

TomG3AKAMacguyver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2001, 10:19 AM

The game is way old by now and AvP 2 is in the works. AvP 2 looks really awesome, one of the current PC game mags has an article on it.

I wish they could have put all that effort that went into trying to port AvP 1 to the Mac into working on starting the port of AvP2 as it is in development. And try to get the Mac version out in less than 3 years after the PC version comes out.

And I say F' AvP1, having that come out for the Mac 3 years after the PC version, and as AvP2 comes out for the PC would be a big slap in the face to the Mac platform IMO.

Bring top titles with a near PC simultaneous release and they will sell very well, just ask Aspyr,
(on the Sims) http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/....thesims.shtml
(and Diablo II sales were super strong as well)
Duh, the games were not 3 years old.

TG3

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by TomG3AKAMacguyver:
Bring top titles with a near PC simultaneous release and they will sell very well, just ask Aspyr,
(on the Sims) http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/....thesims.shtml
(and Diablo II sales were super strong as well)
Duh, the games were not 3 years old.
You're being awfully generous calling those releases "simultaneous". The Sims was a good 4-6 months (can't remember exactly) behind the PC version. Bungie does simultaneous releases. Q3 and UT aren't exactly simultaneous, but close enough.

I gotta say, though, AvP is doomed. Honestly, releasing it as a "new game" to us at this point is an insult.

The Dude
Banned
May 2, 2001, 08:04 PM

Insult? Goes to show we mac users can be picky as hell. No offense.

Even though we are out of our dark age of gaming, we should still be happy for everygame we get. And the fact that they haven't scrapped the the game in development says a lot too.

I'll certainly buy it.

JH
May 2, 2001, 08:33 PM

Sorry all, but on the Applelinks website it say's that Sierra have taken over the publishing for AvP.......
(Remember Half-Life anyone?)

sKP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2001, 04:21 AM

I heard that they were gonna release Aliens Vs Predator, Halo, Half-Life, Pharaoh and Need For Speed (Porsche Unleashed) all for Mac...

kingturd
Forum Regular
May 4, 2001, 04:20 PM

That's very optimistic, sKP.

If you stop by www.macgamer.com they have an article about AvP's release on Mac. Apparently Sierra has dropped this title for mac (don't worry folks, that's the publisher, not the programmer) so Fox Interactive is looking for a new company to publish it for mac. As for the other games you mention, sKP... Porsche Unleashed has been put on hold by Aspyr and has no sign of being released from that hold. Halo will most likely be published by GoD like Oni was, or perhaps by Bungie/MS themselves. Half-Life will also never be passed on to Mac. As the past and present shows, Sierra has very little faith in the mac platform and publishing games for the mac is a very low priority for them.

kingturd
Forum Regular
May 4, 2001, 04:25 PM

Also, on the topic of old games being released for mac years after their time, it is definitly an insult. You can't expect an outdated game that has already been surpased by cheaper, better, and newer games that run on the same platform to sell well. It's like releasing the original Pitfall for PS2, it just won't sell.

As sales prove in the Mac market, a simultaneous (if not slightly delayed) release will definitly increase sales, while outdated games make very little money. It is most definitly an insult to the entire Mac community to just assume that we'll accept old leftovers from the PC market and praise them like it's the next best thing. I bought UT, The Sims, Rune, Diablo 2, and many other games that didn't take very long to make it to Mac. I don't plan on ever purchasing a game that's past it's prime and sold to us as "new".

TomG3AKAMacguyver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2001, 10:05 PM

Bravo on that last paragraph. Well said.
Thank you kingturd.

TG3

Forum Links
Forum Rules