Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Securing Hard Drive

Securing Hard Drive
brightpath
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2002, 06:32 PM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me of a program that will secure the entire contents on my hard drive with a password (in case my computer is stolen) that even the OS-X CD can't bypass? If there are several such programs, which one is be best?

Many thanks!

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2002, 06:38 PM

well assuming the robbers are not very good on computer the mac os x login would be good.

But it would be pritty hard to stop them if they have phisical access.
Single usermode (it can be passworded but)

I am not sure what you can do to stop them. But if they took the laptop they may not take the OS X CD

Just have insurence and backups

<small>[ 07-16-2002, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: IUJHJSDHE ]</small>

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2002, 07:09 PM

What you are looking for is an encrypted file system, but unfortunately no such animal exists for darwin/OS X.

Surly though you don't need the entire disk secured, right? I mean is it really that bad if someone gets their hands on your /System directory (sure sure, they didn't pay for a license, but that's an Apple problem).

Of course it's perfectly reasonable to want your documents secure, and I think the best solution for that would be to make an encrypted disk image.

Mount the disk image when you log in, use it like a regular disk, then unmount it when your done.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Forum Links
Forum Rules