Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > *NEW* iMac before Christmas?

*NEW* iMac before Christmas?
davester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2001, 09:13 AM

With the holiday season being a lucrative time to release sexy, desirable gadgets/hardware, does anyone feel that Apple could release an iMac in a new case/screen/spec before Christmas? Will we have to wait till the New Year for something worth smashing the piggybank open for? I know we're all in the same guessing boat as eachother, but surely there are those in the know here, with their fingers on the pulse who might be able to give us a guesstimate? Could it be another in-between-event release like the iBook?

Dave.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2001, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by davester:
<STRONG>With the holiday season being a lucrative time to release sexy, desirable gadgets/hardware, does anyone feel that Apple could release an iMac in a new case/screen/spec before Christmas? Will we have to wait till the New Year for something worth smashing the piggybank open for? I know we're all in the same guessing boat as eachother, but surely there are those in the know here, with their fingers on the pulse who might be able to give us a guesstimate? Could it be another in-between-event release like the iBook?

Dave.</STRONG>
Without engaging too much in rampant speculation:
I think it's a little too soon for shiny new hardware and special events.

We just got the $799 iMac, which isn't revolutionary, but it's price is.
We're all hungrily anticipating new hardware, and know there's MacWorld SF in January. I'm betting that we'll see price drops for the holiday season, just in time for new hardware with the new year.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2001, 07:44 AM

A couple of months ago, our Apple Rep (he works for Apple, not a marketing company such as Market Source) told me that we will see new iMacs for Christmas! He also told us last October that we would see new PowerBooks and he was right, in January 2001. The iMac line is getting old in its current configuration, and sales are slowing down. Some of that obviously has to do with the economy, but I hardly sell iMacs anymore; there is no interest in them here.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
<STRONG>A couple of months ago, our Apple Rep (he works for Apple, not a marketing company such as Market Source) told me that we will see new iMacs for Christmas!
</STRONG>
I don't know about that... Why would Apple introduce new iMac's for the holiday season but not the school season? The iMac is more suited for education as opposed to consumers (debateable, of course) so it would make MORE sense for Apple to introduce such a computer in August-ish (to take advantage of both seasons). Granted, Apple has introduced new iMac's in October before, but Apple just recently updated their iMac's and added a new addition (just over the past few days). I don't think we're going to see any updated iMac's come prior to Christmas.

<STRONG>He also told us last October that we would see new PowerBooks and he was right, in January 2001.
</STRONG>
Guess what? It's October and I'm predicting new faster PowerMac Towers early next year. Oh, and I'll predict that the iBook and iMac's will both recieve updates sometime next year, and depending on the market, we might see a new form factor iMac, but I'd put that down as a "definite maybe".

<STRONG>The iMac line is getting old in its current configuration, and sales are slowing down. Some of that obviously has to do with the economy, but I hardly sell iMacs anymore; there is no interest in them here.</STRONG>
They still sell here. The new "cheap" indigo is selling quite well. Must be a region thing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Forum Links
Forum Rules