Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTunes downloads consistently faulty? (iPod and iMac problems when sync'ing)

iTunes downloads consistently faulty? (iPod and iMac problems when sync'ing)
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2008, 08:01 AM

Hi All,

I have a friend who was having trouble with his white bezel iMac and sync'ing his iPod nano (non-video version). He knows I used to be an Mac tech support guy , and asked me to come in and see what I could do. I figured it'd be a quick fix, but it actually took quite a while to figure out what was going on.

The problem was that, when he tried to sync his ipod, the iMac would almost freeze, it was so slow (almost 100% of CPU cycles were dedicated to the job).

A quick removal of various prefs files didn't solve the problem. I ran through the gamut of various fixes (heck, he even bought 10.5 in an effort to solve the problem). It wasn't until I decided to manually remove every last iTunes and iPod-related file from both Libraries and his home folder, that the iPod started acting normally. I started putting things back one by one, and it wasn't until I put back a song that he'd purchased from the iTunes music store that the problem re-manifested itself.

I then took a closer look at these songs, and several were only 4KB (he'd downloaded a mere 20 songs or so, so it was easy to look at all of them). I know that he wasn't doing anything unusual to iTunes or his Mac, as he's very much a beginner, and conservative enough that he doesn't want to mess with things.

Well, I got his machines working again, and blew away all of his previously downloaded songs, confident that he could start working normally again. Not so: he's just sent me a message, seems he's purchased and downloaded one song, and the problem has returned.

I'm stumped, any suggestions?

Chas

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2008, 11:57 AM

Do the downloaded songs play properly in iTunes?
If you purchase a song and watch the download, does it download fully?

It sounds as if they aren't downloading properly, or they're downloading and getting corrupt or something else bizarre is happening.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2008, 04:19 PM

Good questions, many thanks for the thoughts.

I checked a few songs, but I didn't listen to them in their entirety. I'll ask him to check. I'll also get him to dl a new song, and see if it comes down all the way (is there a progress bar for an iTunes dl? I've never used the iTunes store myself).

Whatever it is, it's bizarre indeed!

Thanks again,

Chas

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2008, 04:29 PM

Yes there's a download indicator in iTunes, assuming he's running the latest version, there will be a downloading section on the sidebar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules