Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > BOINC iMac G3 OS X 10.2.8

BOINC iMac G3 OS X 10.2.8
Nikyzf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 02:23 PM

Hi,

New here. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I've searched for 10.2.8 and got no hits.

My iMac G3 600 MHz has been crunching SETI for a few years now, but it seems that SETI Classic is about to be closed down and I need to switch to BOINC. There seem to be no official clients for 10.2.x. Can I run BOINC, and if so, what do I need? I'd prefer a CLI version and am happy to use Unix commands if they are carefully listed.

TIA,
Otto Nikolaus
iMacG3 OS X 10.2.8
iBook G4 OS X 10.4.3

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nikyzf
Hi,

New here. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I've searched for 10.2.8 and got no hits.

My iMac G3 600 MHz has been crunching SETI for a few years now, but it seems that SETI Classic is about to be closed down and I need to switch to BOINC. There seem to be no official clients for 10.2.x. Can I run BOINC, and if so, what do I need? I'd prefer a CLI version and am happy to use Unix commands if they are carefully listed.

TIA,
Otto Nikolaus
iMacG3 OS X 10.2.8
iBook G4 OS X 10.4.3
There has been very little success with compling BOINC for 10.2.8. Those who were successful had to compile their own for their specific machine. Even then the results were unpredictable with lots of errors. Lot's of folks have worked on this issue, both the developers and third parties, but it eventually reached a point where it just wasn't practical to keep trying. If there was anyway you could upgrade to 10.3.9 or higher, you would be okay.

Nikyzf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shaktai
There has been very little success with compling BOINC for 10.2.8. Those who were successful had to compile their own for their specific machine. Even then the results were unpredictable with lots of errors. Lot's of folks have worked on this issue, both the developers and third parties, but it eventually reached a point where it just wasn't practical to keep trying. If there was anyway you could upgrade to 10.3.9 or higher, you would be okay.
Thanks for the quick response. I feared that would be the case. I don't plan on spending much (anything?) on the iMac as we have an iBook G4 on 10.4 and I plan on getting a used PBook also on 10.4.

(I know I can put 10.4 on the iMac, but not legally.)

If you're wondering, I don't want to run SETI/BOINC on the laptop because I like to shut it down when not in use because of battery life issues.

Otto

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 05:41 PM

(I know I can put 10.4 on the iMac, but not legally.)
Understandable and wise. You might just keep an eye out for someone who upgraded from 10.3.x (seperate package not disks with computer) to 10.4.x and who would be willing to part with their 10.3.x for a "reasonable sum. I saw some full retail version on E-bay at fairly reasonable prices.

Here is a listing for full retail box. at $32. Don't know anything about the seller though.

The Raven
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2005, 08:29 PM

Hi,

TIA,
Otto Nikolaus
iMacG3 OS X 10.2.8
iBook G4 OS X 10.4.3
You can run F@H with 10.2.8

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 4, 2005, 03:04 PM

10.2.8 has boinc issues, most notably, it is way slower boincing than 10.3.
10.3 is slower than 10.4.
I recommend no one use less than 10.3.9 for crunching, as much ram as you can afford (512Mb min).
You can get a full version of the OS for pretty cheap to install on the old machine as pointed out above.

Nikyzf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Raven
You can run F@H with 10.2.8
Sorry, what's F@H?

Nikyzf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shaktai
Understandable and wise. You might just keep an eye out for someone who upgraded from 10.3.x (seperate package not disks with computer) to 10.4.x and who would be willing to part with their 10.3.x for a "reasonable sum. I saw some full retail version on E-bay at fairly reasonable prices.

Here is a listing for full retail box. at $32. Don't know anything about the seller though.
Yes, I've been thinking getting a used copy

Forum Links
Forum Rules