Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PC-RADEON8500 Flashing successe!

PC-RADEON8500 Flashing successe! (Page 9)
Xtopolop
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2002, 04:04 PM

Just ordered the $109 Sapphire from newegg.com last night!! I'll be flashing on a Sawtooth/450/1GB. Hopefully the flash will go flawlessly, and I'll be able to run QE on both LCDs.

Thanks to everyone for testing out the flashing, cuz my system could really use a good kick in the arse.

headbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2002, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by Xtopolop:
Just ordered the $109 Sapphire from newegg.com last night!! I'll be flashing on a Sawtooth/450/1GB. Hopefully the flash will go flawlessly, and I'll be able to run QE on both LCDs.

Thanks to everyone for testing out the flashing, cuz my system could really use a good kick in the arse.
Forget paying $109 at newegg. I got a Radeon 8500 for $85 WITH shipping at pricewatch.com. it arrived today and works perfectly. I used these instructions- http://www.coffeehaus.com/radeon8500.html
Dual 1.25 GHz PowerMac +
20" cinema display =
one happy Mac user

pdot
Senior User
Oct 1, 2002, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
Crap.

When my new 10.2.1 install wakes from sleep, the display is artifacted like crazy. Any attempt to move windows, etc, results in bizarre pixel washes over the window.

I tried replacing the 10.2 drivers with the working ones I'd saved from 10.1.5, but the same thing happens. So, I put the 10.2 drivers back, and now I can't have DVDs playing behind transparent terminals (not that it's a huge feature, it's just a cool goofy trick to show people )

Oh, and I installed with the 8500 card in, not the original Rage128 Pro, so I don't know if that would make any difference, all the QE stuff was working perfectly on first install.

OEM 8500LE, 230/230

I don't think it's that safe to move drivers around manually unless you really know what you're doing. Anyway, have you tried resetting the PRAM or even reflashing your card? You could even try a slower speed setting to see if that helps. Oh, some people have mentioned that their vid card fans don't come on. You may want to check that out too. Good luck.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2002, 06:32 PM

check this:

Trust me, It's 100% Jaguar's fault.
10.1.5 and 9 were perfect in all regards, and I'm at the slowest setting, 230/230 like I always have been.
I reverted the drivers back and all QE silliness like transparent terminals over DVD playback are working fine. It's a wake from deep sleep problem.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Xtopolop
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2002, 03:59 AM

Flashed the 8500 tonight. Works like a charm. I used the *restore/updater, and haven't messed with the core/memory speeds at all. I watched part of LOTR and saw a couple green pixels here and there. They're not too intrusive, but I might play around with the speeds later to try and eliminate them altogether. Couldn't get Myth3 to run. When I launched it, it opened on the wrong monitor (not the main one), and then I couldn't click on any of the menu buttons. All I could do was hit esc to quit the app. Could this be a 10.2 thing? Because I've run myth3 with dual monitors before, and it always used the main (w/ menubar) display.

Headbox:
I ordered the $109 card from newegg because so many people had had success flashing it. $20 isn't too much to pay, considering this specific card had been tested by so many members here already.

Sawtooth/450
1GB RAM
OS X.2
Radeon 8500 ($109 newegg)/Xclaim 128

Edit to add:
iTunes full screen visuals are offset down and to the right about half a centimeter in both directions. This only happens when the main screen is on the Radeon, and not on the Rage128 card. Sometimes the visuals "shift" over to the left, so that they are aligned horizontally, but remain a 1/2 cm. down from the top of the screen. Is this just pc-flashing weirdness? (much smoother visuals tho )
( Last edited by Xtopolop; Oct 3, 2002 at 07:09 AM. )

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2002, 08:04 PM

im having a bit of a problem and hoping for help...

bought an 8500 64 meg, powerstrip in winxp shows it as 275/275 even though it came OEM/whiteboxed. So it appears to be retail.

putting the updater in the system folder wasnt working, so I tried the "safe" way-booting using a PCI card and flashing from there. So i got ahold of a PCI radeon 7000, and when I try to flash the 8500 using the ATI program, I get this: slot-SLOT-A:R200-A13 error

can anyone help?

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2002, 08:24 PM

P.S. I'd be willing to pay someone if they have had success with their own card and would be willing to let me ship mine to you and have you flash it for me; if I cant get mine working here.

thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 5, 2002, 08:58 PM

Flash with the "Restore" utility first (with no monitor connected to the R8500). This will make it Mac-compatible, and should give working video on the next boot. But don't reboot yet.

After flashing with the Restore utility, then flash with the Update utility, which will fix minor bugs / performance issues.

Finally, shut down. Connect monitor to the R8500, and boot up. Enjoy the faster graphics and all the new resolutions / refresh rates available.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2002, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
Flash with the "Restore" utility first (with no monitor connected to the R8500). This will make it Mac-compatible, and should give working video on the next boot. But don't reboot yet.

After flashing with the Restore utility, then flash with the Update utility, which will fix minor bugs / performance issues.

Finally, shut down. Connect monitor to the R8500, and boot up. Enjoy the faster graphics and all the new resolutions / refresh rates available.

I assume that was directed towards me? If so, that is what I have been trying to do. However, when I do that I get "slot-SLOT-A:R200-A13" cannot program error....Im doing this in OS 9.2, BTW.

PS. Anyone know why I get runtime errors anytime my mouse hovers over the "instant vB code" buttons when posting?

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2002, 09:18 PM

more details (if needed)

g4/400 sawtooth
I've zapped teh pram multiple times

its not that my computer isnt recognizing it, its that the restore/upgrade programs are refusing to update the firmware.I know because i can pop the card into my PC and it still works in it...

reader50
Administrator
Oct 5, 2002, 09:34 PM

Sounds like there are two possibilities:

1. You are using a newer version of the ATi utilities that have blocked flashing of PC versions. I've send you a private message, in case this is the problem.

2. Your brand of 8500 (64 MB) isn't compatible. A very small number of PC 8500's won't seem to flash successfully. If so, there is nothing we can do.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2002, 09:39 PM

Sounds like there are two possibilities:

1. You are using a newer version of the ATi utilities that have blocked flashing of PC versions. I've send you a private message, in case this is the problem.

2. Your brand of 8500 (64 MB) isn't compatible. A very small number of PC 8500's won't seem to flash successfully. If so, there is nothing we can do.

I replied to your PM, send to either of the emails I gave you. I used the flasher on page 5 of this thread that supposedly works, so that brings me to 2. I bought the card on the recommendation of dogcow from this thread: http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum.../000100-8.html

I guess I assumed he done this successfully.

pdot
Senior User
Oct 8, 2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:

Trust me, It's 100% Jaguar's fault.
10.1.5 and 9 were perfect in all regards, and I'm at the slowest setting, 230/230 like I always have been.
I reverted the drivers back and all QE silliness like transparent terminals over DVD playback are working fine. It's a wake from deep sleep problem.
I'm getting green artifacts now in 10.2.1 in the DVD Player app. It was fine with 10.2. The card works fine otherwise. DVD Player also works well in OS 9. Oh, if I reboot my computer and play the DVD right off and not switch apps, the dvd plays w/o artifacts. Rumors has it that 10.2.2 has updated ATI drivers, so let's just cross our fingers.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM

pdot
Senior User
Oct 8, 2002, 08:33 PM

Very strange. I rebooted and now everything is fine.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2002, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by pdot:

I'm getting green artifacts now in 10.2.1 in the DVD Player app. It was fine with 10.2. The card works fine otherwise. DVD Player also works well in OS 9. Oh, if I reboot my computer and play the DVD right off and not switch apps, the dvd plays w/o artifacts. Rumors has it that 10.2.2 has updated ATI drivers, so let's just cross our fingers.
Me too. Thankfully they're not very noticeable on my TV-out.

Avon
Senior User
Oct 10, 2002, 03:19 PM

Flashed an Ati made Radeon 8500 today.

Found it on pricewatch for 86$
it was labled as 250/275 Ati-Original.
No mention of LE.
Got it and all the sitckers on the card matched. It is a Radeon 8500 but for some reason it runs at 250/275 instead of the PC's retail 275/275
Check it out on the PC. ran at advertised speed.

Looks Identical to the mac car.

Flashed it in OS 9 with the 250/270 Update flasher.
Booted into 9. Worked
Booted into OX 10.2.1 Works
Used DVD - Works. All that transparacy stuff over dvd works too.

Still need to try dual monitors and TV out, but I suspect it will work,

ONLY 86 bucks!!!!!
NOTE: Pricewatch advertised the card as a dual head, dvd playback 250/275

The page I bought it from advertised a single head No dvd 250 ,mhz card.

When the dual head and tv out test out, I will post pics of both sides of the card and. And a link to it.

Avon
Senior User
Oct 10, 2002, 04:13 PM

Ok guys.

Dual monitors work great. This card is awesome.
And for only 86 bucks!!!!

I have posted a link with high res pictures of the card and a link to the place I got it.
As well as ROM images just in case.

It would be interesting to compare a high res image of a Mac card. Anyone??

http://www.AlvaroGil.com/~alvaro/misc/Radeon8500/

NOTE: I have not tried TV out but I suspect it will work. (I dont have an svid to rca adapter)

The page I got it from has bad information on it. It states that this card is a single head card and does not decode DVDs. Well, thats bull.

I think the key to flashing a PC card is to make sure its an ATI built card and avoid the LE cards if you can.

Oh yeah gota love these PC cards...

Avon
Senior User
Oct 10, 2002, 05:17 PM

Is there a way to test Quartz Extreme??

Thanks.

nerd
Senior User
Oct 11, 2002, 12:23 AM

Avon, did the card from http://mate.pricewatch.com/scripts/b.asp?3057711 come with a DVI to VGA adaptor?

Thanks

Brad

reader50
Administrator
Oct 11, 2002, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Avon:
Is there a way to test Quartz Extreme??

Thanks.
Quartz Extreme Check

Avon
Senior User
Oct 11, 2002, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by nerd:
Avon, did the card from http://mate.pricewatch.com/scripts/b.asp?3057711 come with a DVI to VGA adaptor?

Thanks

Brad
No. It only came with The ATI PC CD and an S video cable.

Avon
Senior User
Oct 11, 2002, 06:15 AM

Quartz Extreme Check
Checks out. Thanks.

Avon
Senior User
Oct 11, 2002, 06:52 AM

Can somone please post ATI Displays 3.0 for OS X or provide a link?

I downloaded it from ATI, but it is packaged in an installer that installs drivers.

Thanks....

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2002, 04:47 PM

Someone said "what if ATI sabotages this sweet deal we have going
with the Radeon 8500s in future firmware?" Well, I suppose I could
put the thing into my basement-built PC but my suspicion is that they
won't do that.

Who here would ever buy an ATI product ever again if they did that?
I'd write letters, start a write-in campaign.

I'm sure they realize that even though we're bypassing what they
ultimately could make financially that it's STILL making them money
and most of us are happy with the cards, right?

Since I replaced my power supply fan btw my machine cruises with
its Radeon at 96 degrees fahrenheit and is smooth and cool. Even
with the L2 cache overclocked. Works very nicely.

kvonk0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2002, 07:07 PM

I am preparing to flash my recently ordered Radeon 8500 card. I downloaded the required ROM updater. Being curious, I ran the updater to see what all it would do. I did this in 9.2.2. Now, upon double clicking the icon, the finder flickered the ROM Updater name at the top, and then it closed about a half second later. Nothing happened. I figured it would at least give me some error saying that no card was found. But nothing happened. It just flickered the name, then went back to the finder. Do you have to have a Radeon card in the AGP slot for anything to happen? This is a fairly recent install of 9.2.2.

I am running the following:

Powermac G4 733
Superdrive
1.5 GB RAM
GeForce 2 MX

Thanks for your help.

Avon
Senior User
Oct 11, 2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Todd Madson:
Someone said "what if ATI sabotages this sweet deal we have going
with the Radeon 8500s in future firmware?"
I don't think they can. Being that the cards are Identical, once your card is flashed, I don't belive there is any way to tell it was originaly a PC card. The new flashers on ATI's web site do not work on PC cards but they will on PC cards that have been flashed to Mac specs.

Maybe they can, I am not 100% sure, but I would not be concerned. If that ever does happen, we can always spend another 90 bucks on the next PC flashable card and still be ahead.

BTW...

Can somone please post ATI Displays 3.0 for X somwhere??

Avon
Senior User
Oct 11, 2002, 07:56 PM

Now, upon double clicking the icon, the finder flickered the ROM Updater name at the top, and then it closed about a half second later. Nothing happened.
[/B]
There has never been a post of the software not working or the OS getting in the way. Don't worry about it, you abviously need a Radeon 8500 in there for it to work.

The only reported failures are of unsupported cards and of thoes they are either 128 mb cards or non-ATI branded cards that happen to not be identical or similar engouh....

If you Bought an ATI card, LE, Retail, OEM or a verified 3rd party it will most likeley work.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2002, 09:25 PM

There has never been a post of the software not working or the OS getting in the way. Don't worry about it, you abviously need a Radeon 8500 in there for it to work.

The only reported failures are of unsupported cards and of thoes they are either 128 mb cards or non-ATI branded cards that happen to not be identical or similar engouh....

If you Bought an ATI card, LE, Retail, OEM or a verified 3rd party it will most likeley work.

I'd like to stress this isnt always true. As detailed above, the card I bought from bananapc.com did not work. Another poster who emailed me (bought the same card from same store) also had no successs with it. Its a retail, non LE 64MB card. High res pictures for clarification and documentation are coming in next post.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2002, 09:26 PM

johhhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2002, 10:35 PM

Hi, I am the other guy who can't flash his either.

I have the 8500 Radeon from newegg (now $102 bucks).

I tried flashing it to no end on my dual 533s. With no cards in any slot, with Rage 128PCI in slot, removed ram chips, etc..

It always gives me the error "Slot-SLOT-1:R200-A12"

I've tried just about all the different flasher speeds, restores, updates, etc.. no luck whatsoever.

The P/N from my newegg card is P/N1024-1149-60.
The 'name' is OEM RADEON 8500 64MDDR 275/275

Any help would be soooooo appreciated!

Also- I want to try flashing it on a PC, but I need the Mac ROM file from an 8500. If anybody could provide that, that would be wonderful.

thanks

johhhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2002, 10:43 PM

Btw- if you look at where I made a square, you'll see something I noticed. This 'part', whatever it may be, is different from other ones I've seen in other 8500s.

His card looks identical to mine and I noticed that same part which was different.

http://www.machappy.com/misc/cardfront.jpg

Avon
Senior User
Oct 11, 2002, 11:04 PM

The card pictured above is NOT made by ATI. I belive what I posted previously is true. All ati made cards have been reported to work.

Avon
Senior User
Oct 11, 2002, 11:09 PM

http://www.machappy.com/misc/cardfront.jpg [/B][/QUOTE]

The card is totaly diffrent from ATI made cards..
Compare to the pic of my card...
http://www.AlvaroGil.com/~alvaro/misc/Radeon8500/

Can you return it?? If not, you can get a decent amount on ebay...

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 01:01 AM

yes im sure i can return it, I was taking issue with the statement

"If you Bought an ATI card, LE, Retail, OEM or a verified 3rd party it will most likeley work."

Unless I am somehow reading this wrong you are saying retail cards should work. Mine was a retail card-clocked at 275/275 but whiteboxed-and it did not work.

doesnt really matter. just wanted to show a card that was not working.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 12, 2002, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:
backside of card pic
The part numbers on this card do not match my newegg Sapphire card:
OEM ATI RADEON 8500 64MDDR 275/275
P/N. 1024-1149-60
S/Nxxxxxxxxxxx
[barcode]

reader50
Administrator
Oct 12, 2002, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by johhhn:
Hi, I am the other guy who can't flash his either.

I have the 8500 Radeon from newegg (now $102 bucks).

I tried flashing it to no end on my dual 533s. With no cards in any slot, with Rage 128PCI in slot, removed ram chips, etc..

It always gives me the error "Slot-SLOT-1:R200-A12"

I've tried just about all the different flasher speeds, restores, updates, etc.. no luck whatsoever.

The P/N from my newegg card is P/N1024-1149-60.
The 'name' is OEM RADEON 8500 64MDDR 275/275

Any help would be soooooo appreciated!

Also- I want to try flashing it on a PC, but I need the Mac ROM file from an 8500. If anybody could provide that, that would be wonderful.

thanks
Your part number matches mine. I've uploaded a stuffed copy of the restore / flasher that I used on my newegg Sapphire card.
RadeonFlashing.sit (312 KB)
( Last edited by reader50; Oct 12, 2002 at 01:56 AM. )

Avon
Senior User
Oct 12, 2002, 03:07 AM

yes im sure i can return it, I was taking issue with the statement

Unless I am somehow reading this wrong you are saying retail cards should work. Mine was a retail card-clocked at 275/275 but whiteboxed-and it did not work.

doesnt really matter. just wanted to show a card that was not working.
Yes that is what I am saying. But you dont understand!

Your card is not made by ATI!!!!!!!

This card is not an ati card. This is not an ATI original product!!!!
Give it back and get an ATI card just like the one I posted.

Are we on the same track?

There have been Zero reports of ATI ORIGNAL (BUILT BY ATI) cards not working.

johhhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2002, 09:19 AM

There have been many OEM "Powered by ATI Cards that work". That is all he's saying, Avon.

My card, for instance, supposedly works all the time, but in my case, it does not.

Reader50- I tried your flashers, but they did not work either. I tested the card in a PC tonight and it worked fine. I even tweaked the speed to 300/300 and it worked fine on the PC. I brought it back home to my dual 533s and it still will not flash. :sigh:

Any ideas anyone? It's the Sapphire card from Newegg and it has the same p/n as everyone elses I assume (same one as Reader50's).

If anybody can get me the rom file from a Mac8500, I'd be very greatful!!!

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 02:53 PM

I think you need to re-read what I'm saying. I did not say that my card was MADE by ATI. I dont believe I've ever said that here. All I've said is that my card came clocked at the retail speed. There have been several non-ATI built cards that have worked.

johhhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2002, 04:09 PM

If anyone can extract the Mac Radeon 8500 ROM file and send it to me I'd appreciate it soooooooo much!

You can download the program to use on a PC right here-
http://www.xcl-clan.com/download2.php3?file=62

TIA!

Avon
Senior User
Oct 12, 2002, 07:21 PM

I think you need to re-read what I'm saying. I did not say that my card was MADE by ATI. I dont believe I've ever said that here. All I've said is that my card came clocked at the retail speed. There have been several non-ATI built cards that have worked.
Sorry, I though you meant otherwise. Yes there have been reports of severla non-ATI made cartds that work. But I find that alot of them have conflicts. DVD decoding not working, Green spots or some other kind of error...

I don't trust these small company cards. You dont know what your are getting, even if its the same model number etc... They might have beeen running low on some components one month and used another type, while it might work on the PC, it wont on a Mac. Inconsistencies in the powered by ati cards is the problem.

I just want to make it clear that I think non-ATI cards are not a safe gamble. While there are many reports of several cards working like the saphire, its a gamble. All, ATI made cards have been known to work 100%, even the LE's with underclocked roms... And why wouldnt they? They make the mac card dont they? And the only diffrence is the rom.

I recomend an ATI original card, they are the same price too....

If

pissANT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2002, 01:06 PM

I also would appreciate an 8500 mac rom image sent to me thru email if anybody is able to extract it.

HoofHearted
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2002, 02:54 PM

I've the same sort of problems as those who aren't able to use the normal ATI flash app. I've got a A-TEK 8500 64Mb DDR VGA+DVI card, it's the same spec and board as Mac ATI 8500 with a slightly different component layout to the one's posted here previously:

click here for picture

On a PC it shows as a 275/275 card. Flashing it on the mac proved unsuccessful (the flasing app quits with no dialogue - I guess it didn't even recognise the card - at least that meant it still worked in the PC).

So I've resorted to flashing it on the PC. Of course I need the AGP 8500 Mac ROM to be able to do that, and I've tried tome viewer and resedit to pull out the ROM from the ATI rom flasher app with no luck.

So for the moment I'll have to add my name to the list of people desperate for a Mac Radeon 8500 AGP ROM... Alternatively, if anyone know how to extract the rom from the flasher app - that's just as good!

please help!

reader50
Administrator
Oct 13, 2002, 03:31 PM

Be careful extracting the ROM from the Mac flasher, it is only a partial ROM. The Mac flasher updates part of the ROM, which is why ATi thought it was safe. Turned out the updated part happened to be the only section that needed changing to make an 8500 (64MB) work on a Mac (oops...).

This may be why the 8500 (128MB) will not flash successfully, you need a full Mac 8500 ROM image to replace the entire ROM.
( Last edited by reader50; Oct 13, 2002 at 03:37 PM. )

HoofHearted
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2002, 04:18 PM

Be careful extracting the ROM from the Mac flasher, it is only a partial ROM.
oh... I thought that because two flashers come with the ATI package (restore and update), the older full rom might be extractable from the restore app - thanks for putting me straight.

of course the problem with hoping that someone will pull a rom off a mac radeon card is that if you've got a mac radeon why would you want to mess around with extracting the rom off of it for us suckers!

Here's hoping!

johhhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2002, 04:26 PM

Hoof- that's interesting that your flasher just quits.

Did you use the 'latest' ATi flasher? This flasher was modified so that it doesn't work on PC Radeons and it'll 'quit' like you mentioned below if you use it on a non-Mac card.

Originally posted by HoofHearted:
I've the same sort of problems as those who aren't able to use the normal ATI flash app. I've got a A-TEK 8500 64Mb DDR VGA+DVI card, it's the same spec and board as Mac ATI 8500 with a slightly different component layout to the one's posted here previously:

click here for picture

On a PC it shows as a 275/275 card. Flashing it on the mac proved unsuccessful (the flasing app quits with no dialogue - I guess it didn't even recognise the card - at least that meant it still worked in the PC).

So I've resorted to flashing it on the PC. Of course I need the AGP 8500 Mac ROM to be able to do that, and I've tried tome viewer and resedit to pull out the ROM from the ATI rom flasher app with no luck.

So for the moment I'll have to add my name to the list of people desperate for a Mac Radeon 8500 AGP ROM... Alternatively, if anyone know how to extract the rom from the flasher app - that's just as good!

please help!

johhhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2002, 04:33 PM

Hoof- anyone that has flashed their PC 8500 to Mac roms will be able to extract it for us!

That's what i'm hoping someone will do for us!

Can someone try this out? I was also going to extract the ROM file from the updater but didn't know about it being a partial ROM..

in that case-- that kind of explains why the updater may not be able to update some of our cards.. Perhaps some of the ROMs on our cards are just slightly different from others that are successfuly updated with the Mac flasher..
soooooooo-- Hoof, you mentioned you had a PC.. can you try flashing it with a different PC ROM from the PC flash program I linked to above? maybe then the Mac flasher will be able to update the portion of the PC ROM it needs to then.. (assuming that's the problem the Mac flasher is having)

I'm going to go to a friend's PC and try it.. but, I won't be able to try many different PC roms since I have to drive back to my house to test it in my Mac, then drive to his, etc...

oh... I thought that because two flashers come with the ATI package (restore and update), the older full rom might be extractable from the restore app - thanks for putting me straight.

of course the problem with hoping that someone will pull a rom off a mac radeon card is that if you've got a mac radeon why would you want to mess around with extracting the rom off of it for us suckers!

Here's hoping!

HoofHearted
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2002, 07:34 PM

can you try flashing it with a different PC ROM from the PC flash program I linked to above? maybe then the Mac flasher will be able to update the portion of the PC ROM it needs to then..
I did a similar thing... In a desperate attempt, I flashed it with a Mac Radeon PCI card ROM (from MacATIunderground). Well, with the PC rom backed up, it was worth a try - if the flasher recognised it as a Mac card I hoped it would be updated.

I'm afraid it was no-go.

I might try it again with other PC-ROMs then try to update, but I don't hold out much hope. Better to hope for a genuine Mac ROM and try that.

Oh... if the latest ATI updater is tweaked to not recognise PC cards (hence mine failing) - are there any older updaters out there? And if that's true - why does it still work for some people? hmmm... not sure about that one.

This black art seems to be getting less clear the more you look into it...

johhhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2002, 07:43 PM

Hoof- There's a link to 'correct' Mac flashers on this page a few posts above. Download that one and try updating yours. (run the restore program first)

I just got back from a friend's. I noticed a couple things, which, I guess, makes no difference. The ROM on my Newegg card is around 53K while the PC retail ROMs, etc., that the PC Flasher came with were all around 49K. I flashed it with a 'retail' 8500 ROM dated from last year and went home and tried flashing it on my Mac and still no luck. The original ROM on my Newegg card was dated July of this year, if that makes any difference. Maybe we need a PC Rom from April or so? lol

I really really hope you've been flashing with the 'wrong' Mac flasher Because if you have been, then there's a good chance it'll work with the 'right' Mac flasher! and then you can dump the Mac Rom file and give it to us! hehe

i can always dream i suppose.......

I did a similar thing... In a desperate attempt, I flashed it with a Mac Radeon PCI card ROM (from MacATIunderground). Well, with the PC rom backed up, it was worth a try - if the flasher recognised it as a Mac card I hoped it would be updated.

I'm afraid it was no-go.

I might try it again with other PC-ROMs then try to update, but I don't hold out much hope. Better to hope for a genuine Mac ROM and try that.

Oh... if the latest ATI updater is tweaked to not recognise PC cards (hence mine failing) - are there any older updaters out there? And if that's true - why does it still work for some people? hmmm... not sure about that one.

This black art seems to be getting less clear the more you look into it...

HoofHearted
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2002, 06:21 AM

Hoof- There's a link to 'correct' Mac flashers on this page a few posts above. Download that one and try updating yours.
damn... thanks for all your help but it's still no good. I resaved the PC ROM onto the card to start from scratch again, then used the flashers (restore, then update) posted by reader50 (page9) and ken_f2 (page 5).

They all did the same thing, they appear to load then quit. Do these flashers give any feedback (eg success/fail dialogues) when they work correctly?

This definitely looks like it'll need to flashed with a mac rom on a PC - all the mac flasher apps just don't appear to recognise it. It seems to be some illegitimate son of a 8500 64Mb DDR that no-one's seen before (it's layout doesn't match any of the pics I've seen so far anyway).

Now I'm surrounded by PCs and Macs with PCI and AGP cards (including the Yikes that I yanked a Mac PCI card from). Time to reassemble and get on with some work and pray that a Mac ROM comes my way!

I could use the Radeon in the PC - but where would be the fun in that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules