Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Repairing the bottom case and DC/Sound board on a Powerbook G4 15" 1.67 Non-High Rez.

Repairing the bottom case and DC/Sound board on a Powerbook G4 15" 1.67 Non-High Rez.
Cross
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2007, 03:51 PM

OK basically I got a 1.67 Powerbook G4 that had some problems: (This thread deals with the 15" model sorry if I did not spec that)

The bottom case is dented, the DC/Sound board provides power when it wants to and the battery was toast.

I have bought a new battery but I want to be sure before I buy a case and DC board that they are all pretty much universal. I have gotten two different answers... yes and no lol.

Basically I have been offered a Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz Bluetooth 1.1 (Gen 2 I believe its ref to) it comes with a DC/Sound board and other original items.

Now with this case bottom I read about an airport slot not being present in the 1.67Ghz I have. From my understanding it is the keyboard is not able to go back and forth (The 1.67 is not compatible with this one) however I am keeping my 1.67 top I just want the bottom and the DC board.
Now since I am only getting the case bottom and my top is fine can I use the 1.5 bottom? Can I transfer everything over and be ok or will I have to modify it or pull some pieces from the other unit?

Also how about that DC Board will it work fine or did they change that as well?

I have dents where the power Jack and DVI jacks are so the rest of the case is fine I could pull say any pieces out i may need or need to modify I just want to get rid of the dents and get a good dc board so I can get back to using a system I enjoy... (My Sager just does not do that for me).

Thanks for the help!
( Last edited by Cross; Jul 13, 2007 at 06:33 PM. )
"I see you have the ring and I see that your Schwartz is as big as mine." -- Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and 4 people died.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2007, 04:14 PM

Did you try checking eBay?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2007, 04:23 PM

Yes I found the parts I want on eBay but one listing says the DC boards fit all 15" and another says there are differences. The same goes for the case bottoms. Hints my asking here if someone can give me a Def. Answer
"I see you have the ring and I see that your Schwartz is as big as mine." -- Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and 4 people died.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2007, 06:33 PM

Wow I was doing to many things at once let me correct a problem with my main topic lol.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2007, 12:36 AM

Well if anyone was wondering it went well there were some things to know:

First you need to have the right side USB Connector and another ribbon cable from the 1.67 for this to work.

Also you have to cut the round part of the tab off the SuperDrive and leave the other half for it to work.

The screw slots in the memory compartment become unusable.

The screw holder for the Super Drive is different but the holder peg is the same. SOm again just another screw you can not use.

The airport door is not a problem looks good on mine lol I like it.

The last annoyance is you must dremel the right side front tabs off or find a new way to connect them as they will not sit flush for obvious reasons. I have yet to dremel then I am looking for a better solution.

The DC/Sound board works great as does the PRAM Battery even though the used different batterys.... its odd that the newer one failed o.O

And thats pretty much it!

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 26, 2007, 04:57 AM

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Yikes at those prices i am glad i got the battery, case bottom, dc/sound board and a ton of other extra's for 149 shipped.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 26, 2007, 01:01 PM

Those prices are for brand new parts and guaranteed.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2007, 08:21 PM

I got a 90 Warranty on everything *shrugs* used is fine by me so long as it is in good shape and as promised it is in "Like New" condition which makes me happy ^.^

Forum Links
Forum Rules