Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > is anyone only using Leopard on their main or only Mac?

is anyone only using Leopard on their main or only Mac?
solofx7
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2007, 12:19 AM

I have run into a couple niggling things and i just wanted to know if anyone was using leopard on their main machine or as their main OS?
if so have you run into any glitches that are unbearable?
i am thinking about running leopard side by side for a while with OS X then going on to do it by itself if i can go with no issues and i just wanted to know if anyone else has done this or run into any issues?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 12:55 AM

I'm mainly running Leopard, along with Vista (natch). A few glitches (iCal hangs regularly) but very usable.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2007, 10:06 AM

cool thanks for the response. I am just now getting my install sorta where I want it.
I have Leopard - Tiger - Windows XP - Files Partition.
I want to let Tiger go and just go Leopard, but Leopard is still having some odd issues at odd times for me. So I am just going to continue to test it.
Oh, how do you like Vista? are you having any issues with it? are there any problems with games, computability or speed of anything?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 10:27 AM

This is the best idea since my cousin Bobby Joe wanted to show me something cool he could do with his father's gun.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 11:42 AM

It's never a good idea to use a developer preview as your primary OS. If ANYTHING happens, you are on your own.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2007, 11:54 AM

i guess. well i have a tri-boot going now so i should be ok.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 12:34 PM

Vista is fine. I'm running it under VMWare, with all the graphics dialed down -- this is pretty much just so I can run Outlook and Visual Studio (I'm working at Microsoft for the summer). The little prompts really are annoying though.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 04:14 PM

Just do what the majority of Mac users do.

Wait till apple officially releases the OS to use on your main machine.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2007, 04:56 PM

A friend had it on his MacBook but couldn't run it as his primary OS. iChat crashed a lot when I was playing with it. He has gone back to 10.4.
Another issue is that if you send your computer back to Apple I can't believe they'd be too impressed that you're running 10.5 unless you're a developer.

October is only a few months away. You can wait can't you?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 20, 2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Vista is fine. I'm running it under VMWare, with all the graphics dialed down -- this is pretty much just so I can run Outlook and Visual Studio (I'm working at Microsoft for the summer). The little prompts really are annoying though.
Working at Microsoft and using VMWare on a Mac to run Vista...now that's balls!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2007, 10:39 AM

Running a beta OS as your primary OS is just plain stupid. You're just asking for trouble. If you want to play with Leopard (I assume you are not a developer because a developer would not run Leopard as a primary OS) just install it on a separate drive and boot into it when you want to mess around.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 12:24 PM

it is exceptionally daft to use Leopard Beta as your primary OS
I cant think of a single reason why you'd want to
we don't have time to stop for gas

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2007, 12:53 PM

It's amazing how some people absolutely MUST be on the bleeding edge of everything.

They MUST be the first in line for an iPhone, they MUST be the first person to run Leopard... If something is new and shiny, it MUST be theirs.

There are definite disadvantages to being the first in line to a new product, there are always problems which need to be ironed out. To be the first in line well before a product is even ready to accept this aforementioned personality type is just even more bizarre.

The world has survived many years without Leopard, it will survive another few months.

Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2007, 01:28 PM

Im running leopard as my primary OS on my now C2D Mini.. Just did a CPU Upgrade... The build seems stable.. I havent had it crash once for me. I love it.. I can only imagine how the final version will be.. Mail, iChat and iCal all work fine.. I can VNC into it remotely and everything is solid.. This 9A466 Build of leopard is pretty stable.. havent had a freeze or a crash or a kernel panic at all.. pretty much all my software runs.. Im running Leopard and Vista in bootcamp and parallels.. Also in Parallels Im running XP Pro SP2, Kubuntu Linux and Windows 3.1 and 95 for feeling old skool

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 01:35 PM

the sad thing is I imagine most of the people that are using Leopard a) are not legally entitled to run it, b) are not going to purchase it at launch, and more importantly, c) are not even submitting bug reports.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 12:11 PM

sorry, i have not been posting because the board has been up and down.
I have also been busy getting ready for surgery...

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
cool, i run windows xp for games and certain things that i have to have windows for, but other than that i do not use it.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Just do what the majority of Mac users do.

Wait till apple officially releases the OS to use on your main machine.
ok, thanks?

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
I want to let Tiger go [...]
Why do you want to let Tiger go? Why not wait till the official version comes out in just a few months time?

I did not even know that it was possible to run Leopard (even the beta) at this time. Would it not hold a great risk doing so (applications and their compatibility with your beta)?

With that said, why do you prefer the Leopard Beta over Tiger? What does Leopard have currently that makes you want to let go off Tiger? Is it a better user experience, faster with certain applications e.g. Adobe products? I have heard that Leopard was going to offer a great performance boost when running the latest Adobe products (or some of them) on the newer 4-core/8-core machines. What have you experienced so far?

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
A friend had it on his MacBook but couldn't run it as his primary OS. iChat crashed a lot when I was playing with it. He has gone back to 10.4.
Another issue is that if you send your computer back to Apple I can't believe they'd be too impressed that you're running 10.5 unless you're a developer.

October is only a few months away. You can wait can't you?
thank you for your response, my machine as actually been back to Apple last week in fact with Leopard on it. Based on the application that I am developing, I am ok to have it and since i got it from Apple i think that I will be fine. It does act funny as most beta stuff does, but I have found a way around my issue by booting from 3 different OS's....

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Running a beta OS as your primary OS is just plain stupid. You're just asking for trouble. If you want to play with Leopard (I assume you are not a developer because a developer would not run Leopard as a primary OS) just install it on a separate drive and boot into it when you want to mess around.
wow, very nice things. i know this is just a board, but you may want to think a bit more closely about who you call "stupid."
I am actually developing for leopard and not "playing" though i may play with some of the newer features, i was asking this question on this board to the "professional" people that can respond about the environment and options and such.

i hope to make this clear. unless you have something positive to add to my posts, please keep your insults and judgments to yourself. you do not know me and i do not know you. honestly if you want to talk negatively about me or anyone else, start another topic or go somewhere else. it is just not needed. this is not grade school, and i am not a child so take that stuff elsewhere please and thank you.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
it is exceptionally daft to use Leopard Beta as your primary OS
I cant think of a single reason why you'd want to
thank you mod for the cleverly disguised insult.
i am developing for the OS and am playing with other features.
I have access to many machines, but I was asking to find out options and ways to do certain things. in any event i do not feel as though i need to justify anything any further, but please refer to my previous post on poking fun at people or making negative comments. thank you.

larkost
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 12:51 PM

I very often run Apple pre-release OS's as my main OS, but I am in a very special case: I work for a University and serve as a resource for people needing answers to give people when new OSs come out. So I need to have practical experience with an OS the day it comes out.

Now given that: I have run 10.5 a few times both on my work and home computers, and have partitions setup for that OS on both, but at this point I am running 10.4 on both of them because 10.5 was not quite ready for me to switch over (I don't mind the crashes and glitches so much as my calendar and contacs syncing does not work on 10.5, and those have become requirements for me).

When the next seed rolls out I will probably bite the bullet and switch over full time, so that I am ready to roll when 10.5 starts getting installed at my university.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's amazing how some people absolutely MUST be on the bleeding edge of everything.

They MUST be the first in line for an iPhone, they MUST be the first person to run Leopard... If something is new and shiny, it MUST be theirs.

There are definite disadvantages to being the first in line to a new product, there are always problems which need to be ironed out. To be the first in line well before a product is even ready to accept this aforementioned personality type is just even more bizarre.

The world has survived many years without Leopard, it will survive another few months.
ahhh... this username is familiar...
well let me see.
i am not sure how positive it is to make fun of other people.
i am pretty sure that people can make fun of you and things that you do that they may not like and that are possibly different about you.
i though will not do that...
i think that i am past that part of life.
once again. negative comments are probably kept to yourself.
had you asked me about how i got leopard and how i am using it, i would have told you, but you would rather call names and act as if i am not a supporter of apple. i will put the money that i have spent on apple stuff up against anyone.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jumbonium2007 View Post
Im running leopard as my primary OS on my now C2D Mini.. Just did a CPU Upgrade... The build seems stable.. I havent had it crash once for me. I love it.. I can only imagine how the final version will be.. Mail, iChat and iCal all work fine.. I can VNC into it remotely and everything is solid.. This 9A466 Build of leopard is pretty stable.. havent had a freeze or a crash or a kernel panic at all.. pretty much all my software runs.. Im running Leopard and Vista in bootcamp and parallels.. Also in Parallels Im running XP Pro SP2, Kubuntu Linux and Windows 3.1 and 95 for feeling old skool
are you running all of those on the same system?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 12:56 PM

wow, very nice things. i know this is just a board, but you may want to think a bit more closely about who you call "stupid."
I am actually developing for leopard and not "playing" though i may play with some of the newer features, i was asking this question on this board to the "professional" people that can respond about the environment and options and such.

i hope to make this clear. unless you have something positive to add to my posts, please keep your insults and judgments to yourself. you do not know me and i do not know you. honestly if you want to talk negatively about me or anyone else, start another topic or go somewhere else. it is just not needed. this is not grade school, and i am not a child so take that stuff elsewhere please and thank you.
1) I did not call anyone stupid. I said "Running a beta OS as your primary OS is just plain stupid." If you fall into this category so be it.

2) If you really are a "developer" as you claim, you would know how silly it is to run a developer beta release OS as your PRIMARY operating system. Even Apple advises against this.

3) If you really got Leopard from Apple as you claim, you are under an NDA (as you well know). As such, you have no business talking about Leopard on these forums. If you need help, ask Apple. If you have problems, report them to Apple. THOSE are the things that you, as a "developer" are supposed to do.

4) There is absolutely no legitimate reason why you can't develop and test your application on Leopard installed on a separate drive (or partition).

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Why do you want to let Tiger go? Why not wait till the official version comes out in just a few months time?

I did not even know that it was possible to run Leopard (even the beta) at this time. Would it not hold a great risk doing so (applications and their compatibility with your beta)?

With that said, why do you prefer the Leopard Beta over Tiger? What does Leopard have currently that makes you want to let go off Tiger? Is it a better user experience, faster with certain applications e.g. Adobe products? I have heard that Leopard was going to offer a great performance boost when running the latest Adobe products (or some of them) on the newer 4-core/8-core machines. What have you experienced so far?
hmmm... i said that, but it is not really what i meant. currently i am running both and semi happy... i am looking into getting another couple of macs for my home network that i am setting up as well as a couple at the office. i would hope that the adobe products see a speed boost because CS3 is really not that much faster too me. i think that leopard does offer some interesting features. though.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2007, 01:04 PM

hmmm... i said that, but it is not really what i meant. currently i am running both and semi happy... i am looking into getting another couple of macs for my home network that i am setting up as well as a couple at the office. i would hope that the adobe products see a speed boost because CS3 is really not that much faster too me. i think that leopard does offer some interesting features. though.
Ah, okay. Thank you for the response. CS3 is not really slow on Tiger for me running a 4-core. It would be interesting to see what the performance difference is when running multiple CS3 applications at the same time, perhaps along with some video editing software and see if Leopard fares better in that regard.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by larkost View Post
I very often run Apple pre-release OS's as my main OS, but I am in a very special case: I work for a University and serve as a resource for people needing answers to give people when new OSs come out. So I need to have practical experience with an OS the day it comes out.

Now given that: I have run 10.5 a few times both on my work and home computers, and have partitions setup for that OS on both, but at this point I am running 10.4 on both of them because 10.5 was not quite ready for me to switch over (I don't mind the crashes and glitches so much as my calendar and contacs syncing does not work on 10.5, and those have become requirements for me).

When the next seed rolls out I will probably bite the bullet and switch over full time, so that I am ready to roll when 10.5 starts getting installed at my university.
cool, thanks for the info.
how are you running the multiple OS's?
as in where and how do you keep up with your data?
Mine I have set up with 4 partitions...
Windows XP
10.5 and one for just my files and such. I am trying to possibly setup smart folders, but i am not sure how they will work with both OS's...
thank you for being nice too....

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 01:34 PM

i am developing for the OS
Developing for an OS version does not require you to work with that OS full-time. I have an app that supports 10.3 and 10.4, but I don't split myself in two to run both systems as my main OS. I run 10.4 as my main OS and test in 10.3.
Chuck
___

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
1) I did not call anyone stupid. I said "Running a beta OS as your primary OS is just plain stupid." If you fall into this category so be it.

2) If you really are a "developer" as you claim, you would know how silly it is to run a developer beta release OS as your PRIMARY operating system. Even Apple advises against this.

3) If you really got Leopard from Apple as you claim, you are under an NDA (as you well know). As such, you have no business talking about Leopard on these forums. If you need help, ask Apple. If you have problems, report them to Apple. THOSE are the things that you, as a "developer" are supposed to do.

4) There is absolutely no legitimate reason why you can't develop and test your application on Leopard installed on a separate drive (or partition).

actually this is a forum, and i CAN talk about anything that i want...
and you did call people stupid, so you can tell yourself anything that you want. trust me i know that you are NOT talking to me or about me and if you have something to say to me, try saying it directly or in person.
or you can keep your negative comments to yourself like most ADULTS do.
have a nice day. ..

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 01:38 PM

Ah, okay. Thank you for the response. CS3 is not really slow on Tiger for me running a 4-core. It would be interesting to see what the performance difference is when running multiple CS3 applications at the same time, perhaps along with some video editing software and see if Leopard fares better in that regard.
4 core? what machine...

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Developing for an OS version does not require you to work with that OS full-time. I have an app that supports 10.3 and 10.4, but I don't split myself in two to run both systems as my main OS. I run 10.4 as my main OS and test in 10.3.
i want to try and use it full time... but i am not sure...
i am still loving tiger and using it alot...

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2007, 02:19 PM

4 core? what machine...
I was referring to the Mac Pro 3GHz 4-core, the last machine - if memory serves me - that was released by Apple prior to the 8-core machine that was released a few months ago.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 03:06 PM

and you did call people stupid, so you can tell yourself anything that you want. trust me i know that you are NOT talking to me or about me and if you have something to say to me, try saying it directly or in person.
or you can keep your negative comments to yourself like most ADULTS do.
have a nice day. ..
Actually, if you read the NDA that came with your "legitimate" copy of Leopard, you are legally bound to NOT talk about Leopard publicly. Then again, I wouldn't expect a 15-year old to understand that.

You have a serious reading comprehension problem. I clearly said running a beta OS as your primary OS is "just plain stupid". In other words, the ACT of running said beta OS as a primary OS is stupid. If you take this personally there's not much I can do to help that. Sorry you got your feelings hurt.

I have yet to meet an adult that can keep negative comments to him or herself. It's much more fun to voice them outloud and provide entertainment to the masses.

(BTW, this post is directed at YOU in case it's not clear.)

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 03:10 PM

I was referring to the Mac Pro 3GHz 4-core, the last machine - if memory serves me - that was released by Apple prior to the 8-core machine that was released a few months ago.
gotcha, i just forgot which machines have what...
how is the speed for you?

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2007, 03:24 PM

gotcha, i just forgot which machines have what...
how is the speed for you?
The speed is good I'd assume. I cannot really tell as I currently do not have a faster machine to compare it to. Reading up on the threads here and elsewhere where people have reported on their 8-core machines (of course with a good portion of RAM), it seems like these two machines (4-core vs. 8-core) do not show extraordinary differences in performance and I've been told that it might be due to Tiger and applications not being able to take advantage of the four/eight cores yet. This is - as you can tell from my post - a complete rookie judgement though.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 04:52 PM

...SO LONG as it is within the terms of service for this board and you are actually LEGALLY allowed to talk about it (which you aren't if you have a legal copy of Leopard, which ties you to its non-disclosure agreement).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 04:53 PM

What are you guys, Apple's lawyers? Take it easy! I think Apple can afford their own lawyers, and I really don't think that anybody here is personally hurt by somebody running the WWDC build of Leopard (however unadvised this may be).

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 05:06 PM

This is going nowhere guys. Lets stop soap boxing, discuss possible multi-boot options, or shall we let this troll win and just lock the thread?

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
This is going nowhere guys. Lets stop soap boxing, discuss possible multi-boot options, or shall we let this troll win and just lock the thread?
i must agree here. that is why i am not responding any longer to the negative posts.
basically i think that we are all apple people and we for the most part are defending similar things. in the long run i just came out of surgery on monday and do not really have the energy to fight people on BS.
i am though very happy for the info that people have given me.
i am still in the configuration stage of my multi-boot. next up is adding my documents in smart folders to both OS's on their own partition.
I have yet to find a good way to live partition. ay thoughts on this?

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 27, 2007, 03:54 AM

I have yet to find a good way to live partition. ay thoughts on this?
If you're a serious developer, and not some silly pirate who started 20 threads about the same thing, you'd know which are the best apps for disk partitioning and maintenance. I smell a ban coming on real soon.

OreoCookie
Jul 27, 2007, 11:13 AM

People, we don't need auxiliary forum police, that's what mods and admins are for. If you think a thread ought to be closed, report it. If we don't close it then, we've probably decided to let it live.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2007, 06:06 PM

I want to know three things: how old is solofx7, when did he start using Macs, and what application he is developing. I'm just curious.

OreoCookie
Jul 29, 2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by timmerk View Post
I want to know three things: how old is solofx7, when did he start using Macs, and what application he is developing. I'm just curious.
No discussion about other members. In case you've missed the post right above yours, we don't need a wannabe forum police.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
No discussion about other members. In case you've missed the post right above yours, we don't need a wannabe forum police.
So non-moderators should attempt to support software piracy like they would any other help topic until a thread is officially locked? That seems kind of goofy, dude.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 06:51 PM

So, what's the verdict on A499 vs A466?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

unhappyending
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2007, 07:00 PM

Even if I had Leopard, I wouldn't use it for normal use. I would test it, but I did the mistake of installing Vista Beta on my PC over XP and I am not doing that again with Leopard, I would most likely install it test it and uninstall it. Tiger is fine for me, why change? Yes, I am still going to upgrade when it comes out.
 Mac mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.5.3, 1GB Ram.
 iMac G3 350MHz PowerPC G3, OS X 10.3.9, 256MB Ram

OreoCookie
Jul 29, 2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So non-moderators should attempt to support software piracy like they would any other help topic until a thread is officially locked? That seems kind of goofy, dude.
You should use the report abuse button and leave the rest to us.
No backseat modding, please.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2007, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
So, what's the verdict on A499 vs A466?
From what I hear: Faster, but buggier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules