Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple seeds ninth beta of OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 to developers

Apple seeds ninth beta of OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 to developers
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 29, 2014, 09:55 PM

Eight days after the previous release, Apple has now made available a ninth beta of OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 for developers -- and now, other registered users -- to test, with the same focus areas as the previous release and again with no issues noted. As with last week's version, the primary difference in the new build is the build number, 13D55. This is ten units higher than last week's release, suggesting that a subtle fix for something has been implemented and tested.

As before, the company asks testers to focus on any remaining issues with graphics drivers, audio, Mail, Safari, and the re-introduced feature of local syncing of Contacts and Calendar data through iTunes to local devices. Also introduced in recent builds is preliminary support for pixel doubling for 4K external displays.

The feature, a bonus for owners of the latest MacBook Pro models, effectively brings "Retina" screen quality to existing 4K monitor support, as well as expand the number of potential brands of monitor supported. The pixel-doubling will likely expand to other machines in future releases.

A final release date is unknown, but those with registered developer accounts can obtain the update through the Mac App Store's Software Update or the Apple Developer portal on its website. New testers who have signed up for the public Beta Seed Program, signed the required confidentiality agreement, and downloaded the associated Beta Access Utility can obtain the latest build from the Mac App Store. Apple cautions new testers that betas are not intended to be run on production machines, and may be unstable.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 30, 2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
again with no issues noted
I can think of a few issues:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Slow Shutdown in Mavericks 10.9 - MacRumors Forums

Fix Slow Shutdown in OS X 10.8-10.9 - Page 4 - MacRumors Forums

http://forums.macnn.com/112/mac-news...t/#post4270155

and maybe Apple can restore fast graphics card support so that Preview can be as fast as it was when I was on 10.8

...or do I have to wait until 10.10 for that to happen and before Apple introduces even more bugs into the OS?

Ham Sandwich
May 4, 2014, 08:13 AM

Oh and if I just happened to download two different files with the same name, Safari USED to put a "(2)" at the end of the second file so that I could distinguish "video.mpg" from "video(2).mpg"... I have no idea why Apple changed Safari to get rid of that behavior because if I download two different files with the same name, Safari OVERWRITES each downloaded file until the last one is downloaded...and there is no (2) or (3) or (4)...so I end up having to re-download everything twice, the second time around, manually re-naming files. Jeesh!!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Oh and if I just happened to download two different files with the same name, Safari USED to put a "(2)" at the end of the second file so that I could distinguish "video.mpg" from "video(2).mpg"... I have no idea why Apple changed Safari to get rid of that behavior because if I download two different files with the same name, Safari OVERWRITES each downloaded file until the last one is downloaded...and there is no (2) or (3) or (4)...so I end up having to re-download everything twice, the second time around, manually re-naming files. Jeesh!!
Something is way messed up on your machine, my friend.

I JUST downloaded an mp3 three times to double-check, and it downloaded the same file three times, appending -2 and -3 to the end of the filename.

Ham Sandwich
May 4, 2014, 11:16 AM

What's the URL so I can check?

For comparison, here are mine: http://www.oldtowncf.com/audio/

download a bunch of these podcasts simultaneously...

and Safari will keep downloading "audio.mp3" and only give you one actual file.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2014, 12:23 PM

The audio files it downloaded here are named "2_Cor_1_1-14.mp3" and "Joshua_23_Thru_24 043014.mp3", respectively.

My own earlier test:
http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-st...are-t6858.html
Clicking on the .mp3 will download it. Did so three times, and it appended the number after the file name. Always has, at least since I started using Safari a decade ago - though it used to append a (1) to the end of the second file before Mavericks.

Ham Sandwich
May 4, 2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
My own earlier test:
http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-st...are-t6858.html
Clicking on the .mp3 will download it. Did so three times, and it appended the number after the file name.
This works for me, but I have a different issue with the below example...

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The audio files it downloaded here are named "2_Cor_1_1-14.mp3" and "Joshua_23_Thru_24 043014.mp3", respectively.
Try "Download Linked File As..." for each of the files.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2014, 12:46 PM

Try "Download Linked File". That gives me "audio.html" and "audio-2.html", etc.

The "Download Linked File As…" exists because it allows you to RENAME THE FILE and specify a location. If you use that and do neither of those things, the reason it's overwriting the previous file is because you are specifically TELLING it to!

(Also, doing that from that page downloads a webpage called "audio.html", which is actually the page where the audio files can be downloaded — not the audio file itself.)

This is NOT a Safari problem: Safari is working EXACTLY as it is supposed to.

Ham Sandwich
May 4, 2014, 02:44 PM

Well I've never seen that happen before. At the very least, Safari (or ANY browser) would have at least given me a warning saying "Are you sure you want to overwrite this file...?" but in 15 years of browsing I've never seen/captured THAT automatic overwriting behavior before on a web browser. I've seen it when I write my own scripts/small programs/HTML pages, but never with web browsers not alerting me to overwriting a file and it vanishing.
And why does it give me "audio.mp3" instead of the longer file names?
And why does it give you "audio.html" instead---- blah this is all way too confusing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Well I've never seen that happen before. At the very least, Safari (or ANY browser) would have at least given me a warning saying "Are you sure you want to overwrite this file...?" but in 15 years of browsing I've never seen/captured THAT automatic overwriting behavior before on a web browser. I've seen it when I write my own scripts/small programs/HTML pages, but never with web browsers not alerting me to overwriting a file and it vanishing.
Just tested this, and the "Download Linked File As…" context menu DOES NOT warn when overwriting an existing file.

This is obviously a bug. I know of no other situation, in any application, in which this would ever be the case.

I've reported it via Apple - Feedback

And why does it give me "audio.mp3" instead of the longer file names?
And why does it give you "audio.html" instead---- blah this is all way too confusing.
I have no idea. What EXACTLY are you right-clicking on?

Ham Sandwich
May 7, 2014, 12:34 PM

Don't worry about it, since you've already classified it as a bug I'm not as crazy as I thought I was, so nevermind.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 01:29 PM

No: I classified the overwriting of identical files as a bug.

I have no idea what you think you're downloading.

Ham Sandwich
May 10, 2014, 11:33 AM

Here's another one (well this one is more of an inconvenience than a bug):

I often need to copy and paste content from a webpage in one tab, or if I start typing a search term (whichever it is...call it "X") into the search field (the URL bar) in a second (blank) tab, to search for more on what the content means.

Fine. I can do that...

But...

If I need to include "X" into that search field...in the second tab,

then come back to the first tab, perhaps to copy over more content...(the point is, I switch tabs)

then I return to the second tab to find that "X" has vanished, and now I have to start the process all over again and/or remember what "X" was.

This has become extremely inconvenient for me in the last month because this has begun to happen more almost every day and is very aggravating.

Safari does not "temporarily hold X" in the second tab and so I have to keep finding other ways of getting everything into that blank URL bar before Safari deletes it again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules