Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > WTB: Really need Mac Mini

WTB: Really need Mac Mini
lisantica
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2007, 11:30 AM

I'm hoping to buy a Mac Mini with SuperDrive. My desktop computer is getting old and sluggish, so I'm using my laptop as a desktop replacement and it just isn't the same, especially since I have to unplug everything each morning and tote my laptop off to work.

I'm looking for a nice, clean, Mac Mini with (hopefully 2GB of RAM). Core Duo or Core Duo 2 is fine. Complete in box is a plus!

Please let me know your shipped price to Calif. 92220. I'd like to use Paypal if possible as I have some cash in there now.

****My Cinema Display 30" is available for purchase or as partial trade. Search for my monitor ad.

Lisa
( Last edited by lisantica; Sep 3, 2007 at 09:15 AM. )

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Aug 18, 2007, 11:54 AM

I have a Mac mini I just bought on tuesday, it works great, I was going to use it as a second computer for doing some guitar recordings.

Why am I selling it? I walked into the music store to get some more guitar picks, and I fell hard and fast for a new guitar. 5 minutes later, I'm walking out with a guitar I can't really afford, and my wife will be back in town tomorrow. I need to sell something to pay for the guitar before then, and I can get by without the mini.

If I return it back to the store I will get hit with a 15% restocking fee. On a 599 computer, that means roughly 85 dollars. I'd rather take the 15 dollar hit and earn some good Karma in the process!

Heres the full specs for the mini:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

This is the 1.83 Core 2 Duo mini that sells for 599 plus tax It includes the new iLife '08 and the box manuals cds. etc

I wil ship to you for 500 dollars even.I actually just came to macnn to post an ad to sell this when I saw your posting.

Let me know if your interested.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Aug 18, 2007, 12:20 PM

PM Sent. I will throw in the the 2 gigs of ram.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

lisantica  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2007, 10:40 PM

BkueKanoodle, I would have definitely bought your Mac Mini, but now I have to rethink this. I just read that my 30" HD Cinema monitor won't work with the Mini.
What a bummer! Has anyone tried a 30" monitor with a Mini? I may have to suspend my search until I figure this out. My MacBook Pro will run the monitor.

Lisa

jbmitt
Aug 19, 2007, 03:36 PM

Bkue.. you have pm from me. I was interested only if you and lisantica couldn't work something out.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 04:52 PM

30" Apple Cinema Display requires Dial-Link DVI. I doubt the Mac mini can run it. The cheapest computer that can... might be a MacBook Pro or old PB (I don't really remember, but did any of the last gen PB's have dual-link dvi?). Oh, and of course, a PowerMac G5.

lisantica  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 09:39 PM

chipchen, Yes, I'm currently running my 30" CD with the MacBook Pro. Was hoping I could buy a Mini to use and not have to plug in my laptop each night after getting home from work.

lisantica  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2007, 09:16 AM

I now have my 30" Cinema Display for sale here in the marketplace. Back to seeking a Mac Mini.

Lisa

Banuschka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
30" Apple Cinema Display requires Dial-Link DVI. I doubt the Mac mini can run it. The cheapest computer that can... might be a MacBook Pro or old PB (I don't really remember, but did any of the last gen PB's have dual-link dvi?). Oh, and of course, a PowerMac G5.
It is not true, that the mac mini and the 30" display are not compatible. I am actually using exactly this configuration and I love it.

The reason for me to use a Mac Mini is that it makes absolutely no noise.I hooked up my Mac Mini with my 30" Cinema display without any additional hardware, in particular there is no need for a dual-link dvi. I simply connected the DVI connector from the display to the mini and it worked right out of the box! The only catch is the maximum display resolution, which is limited to 1900 x 1200 for the newest minis, but that is more than enough for me.

PS: I even hooked it up to an older PowerPC Mac Mini, and there I am getting 1280 x 800. Not good for typing - characters look blocky-, but this constellation is still great for watching DVDs in my living room (and with Leopard supporting smooth screen resolutions the blockiness will go away).

graysail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2007, 06:43 PM

i have a mac mini intel 1.5 ghz base model... would be interested in selling if your interested pm me.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Banuschka View Post
It is not true, that the mac mini and the 30" display are not compatible. I am actually using exactly this configuration and I love it.

The reason for me to use a Mac Mini is that it makes absolutely no noise.I hooked up my Mac Mini with my 30" Cinema display without any additional hardware, in particular there is no need for a dual-link dvi. I simply connected the DVI connector from the display to the mini and it worked right out of the box! The only catch is the maximum display resolution, which is limited to 1900 x 1200 for the newest minis, but that is more than enough for me.

PS: I even hooked it up to an older PowerPC Mac Mini, and there I am getting 1280 x 800. Not good for typing - characters look blocky-, but this constellation is still great for watching DVDs in my living room (and with Leopard supporting smooth screen resolutions the blockiness will go away).
Yea... you got us. We're a bunch of liars. There is NO NEED FOR DUAL-LINK DVI AT ALL.... oh wait... unless you want it to work THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO. But yea, if you want it to work like, just partially, then yes, I was lying.

Seriously... some people might not mind having a Ferrari that maxes out at 45 mph, they just like knowing it's a Ferrari and it's nice to look at. But most of us would rather a fully functional Ferrari... especially if we're going to pay full price for one.

You should probably email Apple and tell them they're lying too... on this page: http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

crimsonmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 01:45 AM

Banuschka is just trying to give you options. If it's not what you want, so be it, but why the disrespect?

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by crimsonmac View Post
Banuschka is just trying to give you options. If it's not what you want, so be it, but why the disrespect?
Didn't you read his post? He wrote:

Originally Posted by Banuschka View Post
It is not true, that the mac mini and the 30" display are not compatible.
Apparently, when I write about what Apple itself even states, it's just "not true." Different point of views, hacks, or halfway work-arounds (as these are).... are fine. Going around saying that people are saying things that are "not true" when they make statements based on fact is not disrespectful? What about, "Actually, I kinda got it working..." or "It does work at lower resolutions..." or "If you don't need the full resolution..."

I give respect where it's deserved.

crimsonmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 02:19 AM

chipchen, suggesting that Banuschka could have phrased his statements differently is arguing over semantics. You're taking his post way too seriously, and responding with sarcasm. You need to take your temper down a notch.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 02:21 AM

Or maybe you're taking this too seriously...? Go recycle something if you need to fight for a cause...

crimsonmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 02:36 AM

Or maybe you're taking this too seriously...? Go recycle something if you need to fight for a cause...
It's unfortunate that you feel the need to respond this way. So be it - PM me if you want to discuss this further.....

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 04:37 AM

Why would I want to discuss this further... I'd rather let this thread get back to it's original purpose (if that's possible at all anymore). Sorry, Lisa.

I do have a Mac mini that I may be selling.. but its a PowerPC with a combo drive.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2007, 06:50 PM

Why would I want to discuss this further... I'd rather let this thread get back to it's original purpose (if that's possible at all anymore). Sorry, Lisa.

I do have a Mac mini that I may be selling.. but its a PowerPC with a combo drive.
Price and specs?

Forum Links
Forum Rules