Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Internet Sharing - Jag vs GNat

Internet Sharing - Jag vs GNat
Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2002, 01:19 PM

I'm on a cable connection. My ISP doesn't allow more than one computer to use the connection. I had two iMacs connected anyway and sometime last year, I found that the MAC address of one of the computers got blocked by the ISP. I started routing that iMac through the other one permanently using GNat. That worked fine until I installed Jaguar. Now Internet Sharing doesn't work at all.

I was about to start using the built in Internet sharing function of Jag when I read the warning that Jag gives when you enable Internet sharing.

My question - is there any difference between the way Jag shares the internet connection and the way I used to share my connection with GNat? Is my ISP going to suddenly see my whole network?

I still don't have a clue how to get rendezvous to work, but once this question is answered, I'll be part of the way there.

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2002, 02:33 PM

GNat and the Internet Sharing include in Jaguar is absolutly the same thing. Both are only a GUI wrapper for the include natd daemon since 10.0. These app only create config files that you can do manually in the terminal, but because they use the same daemon, they can be in conflic to each other with there config.

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by BigMac2:
GNat and the Internet Sharing include in Jaguar is absolutly the same thing. Both are only a GUI wrapper for the include natd daemon since 10.0. These app only create config files that you can do manually in the terminal, but because they use the same daemon, they can be in conflic to each other with there config.

How can I set Internet Sharing in Jaguar to start automatically after restart?

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2002, 05:24 PM

For clarification. One of the differences between 10.1 and 10.2 from a network perspective is rendezvous. For rendezvous to work, the computers have to have DHCP on. On my system, the router gets its IP address via DHCP. Will the cable company's server get a request from the routed iMac for an IP address if rendezvous is switched on?

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:

How can I set Internet Sharing in Jaguar to start automatically after restart?
I think you have to use IPNetShare or an equivalent to do this.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2002, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by BigMac2:
Even though they both configure the build in natd router, they are FAR from the same thing. Jaguar internet connection sharing sets up a DHCP server (which is why it is BAD for cable modems, unless you are sharing over a different ethernet port than what your cable is hooked up to). IPNetShareX does not use this DHCP server. Thus, it is preferred.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Sarc
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2002, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Troll:
For clarification. One of the differences between 10.1 and 10.2 from a network perspective is rendezvous. For rendezvous to work, the computers have to have DHCP on. On my system, the router gets its IP address via DHCP. Will the cable company's server get a request from the routed iMac for an IP address if rendezvous is switched on?
Not true, I have iChated with computers inside my LAN using fake IP address.
More to mention, I have iChated with two Macs linked directly via one ethernet cable, no hub between. That was a Pismo and my QuickSilver.

Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules