Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help! SCSI CD-writer stopped working in OS X

Help! SCSI CD-writer stopped working in OS X
jrome
Sep 15, 2002, 10:50 PM

OK, I have an old SCSI CD-writer that use under OS X. I had it working since 10.1, but it hasn't worked since I upgraded. I've tried running it with and without SCSI CD helper, I've tried with and without the Adaptec driver. The closest thing to working seems to be with SCSI cd helper, but without the adaptec driver. In that case, the Finder recognizes the CD and asks me what I want to do with a blank CD upon inserting. I choose "Open Finder." Nothing happens for 5 seconds, then I get:

"The operation could not be completed.

An unexpected error occurred (error code -536870208)"

That error code also translates to 2^29 - 704, so maybe it's really error code (+) 704?

It does work as a CD-ROM. I wonder if maybe I hosed an Apple driver that would have worked? Apple ID's the SCSI card as ADPT,2930CU .

I have an original PowerMac G/400 (Yikes!). Anyone have ideas? Thanks.
Sign the petition to add the Jacknote to Macworld Boston!

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2002, 10:59 PM

search macosxhints.com there is a quick fix for this 10.2 has a bug in it that breaks this. The 10.2.1 will fix this however, even the early betas of 10.2.1 fix the problem.

jrome  (op)
Sep 16, 2002, 01:07 AM

Well, it's promising. But it doesn't quite work with my Ricoh 6200s. Now, it shows as disc burning being "Not supported" in Apple System Profiler. Before, I don't think it acknowledged the possibility of burning. But it says I can't burn in the finder. Damn.

Now, the closest I get seems to be with this new SCSI fix nstalled, the old SCSI CD-helper removed, and it's Adaptec driver agnostic. No idea if it would work in toast, as I don't own a copy. Anyway to check to see if it would work? A demo, maybe?

Anyway, thanks for the hint. Hopefully, it worked for someone else.

macmend
Sep 16, 2002, 11:45 AM

for this scsi problem start here:

http://homepage.mac.com/lebsack/.cv...kg.tgz-link.tgz

or try scsi helper

here

http://www.elgato.com/SCSIHelper/scsihelper.sit.hqx
one will not work wothout the other, I had to deinstall scsi helper to get the other to work, but work it did.

The reason external SCSI burners do not work in OS 10.2 is because of some idiot at Apple not programming the SCSI socket settings right, the top link is to a hack that sets this right...try it.

macmend
macmend.com - the home of mac troubleshooting

jrome  (op)
Sep 16, 2002, 06:20 PM

Hi,

Well, I haven't tried the last set of advice. I did get a copy of Toast, and the burner works with Toast, so that's good. In 10.1, Disc Burner would work in the Finder, but not in iTunes. Now it works in neither, only Toast seems to work. I reinstalled iTunes, but that didn't fix the problem. Is there an eacy solution, or should I just be happy that I got this much to work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules