Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why should I buy a powerbook?

Why should I buy a powerbook?
zurek106
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 10:58 PM

Why should I buy such an expensive powerbook when I can get a p4 2.o ghz ddr 512 with 30 gig hard cdrw,dvd player laptop for $1600? Why are macs so over priced?

This is what my fellow Windows user is asking?

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2003, 11:08 PM

Why shouldn't you? Even if the price is higher?

Only you can answer these questions.

I can't convince you that Mac's are better than PC's. All I can say is that I love my PowerBook and I would never been caught dead with a PC laptop. I don't have to bother with all the viruses flowing around in the PC-world, or the hazzle when something goes wrong. I can usually fix my own computer without having some MSCDEFGHKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ in my resum� or have to call a technician to help me.

But you might have other needs than I do? I work with Graphic Design and to me a Mac is the most perfect computer in my field of work. All programs I need run in OS X and they work stable and fast enough (besides you can't compare a G4 processor with a P4 since it's two diffrent technologies).

Sooo... it's your choise.
/Petra

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by zurek106:
Why should I buy such an expensive powerbook when I can get a p4 2.o ghz ddr 512 with 30 gig hard cdrw,dvd player laptop for $1600? Why are macs so over priced?

Here is why:

http://www.apple.com/switch/

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 11:13 PM

I guess you really don't want to buy a PowerBook if you're comparing specifications. In our opinions, the Mac is fast enough. It's going to be a lot more expensive for the same hardware, but what you get is a more refined computer with actual utility.

PC's crash and generally feel cheap. Go to an Apple Store and ask a sales guy to show you around the Mac. Don't go to CompUSA or any other technology store that doesn't specialize on Apple products.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by skyman:
Here is why:

http://www.apple.com/switch/
1. It Just Works: so does XP.
2. It Doesn't Crash: neither does XP.
3. Simply the best in digital music: MP3 players also available for the PC. Even the iPod.
4. Missing link in digital photography: am I missing something? Same digital cameras work on both. Photoshop available on both. Hruummm..
5. Your own digital entertainment center: what a load of marketing BS. What exactly does a mac do a PC can't?
6. Goes everywhere you go: except for the desktops, I'm assuming. Last I checked - PC laptops are also portable.
7. Built for the Internet: sure about that? Mac browsers tend to be slow.
8. Office is Office, and then some: So - the number 8 reason to buy a mac is because of a Microsoft product??
9. Works effortlessly with PCs: So - the number 9 reason to buy a mac is because it works with PCs? Why not just buy a PC?
10. Its beautiful: in the eye of the beholder.

And hey - this from a Mac guy. But is this the best Apple can come up with? OSX *not even mentioned* Hrumph.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Feb 11, 2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by elvis2000:
3. Simply the best in digital music: MP3 players also available for the PC. Even the iPod.
4. Missing link in digital photography: am I missing something? Same digital cameras work on both. Photoshop available on both. Hruummm..
5. Your own digital entertainment center: what a load of marketing BS. What exactly does a mac do a PC can't?
6. Goes everywhere you go: except for the desktops, I'm assuming. Last I checked - PC laptops are also portable.
8. Office is Office, and then some: So - the number 8 reason to buy a mac is because of a Microsoft product??
9. Works effortlessly with PCs: So - the number 9 reason to buy a mac is because it works with PCs? Why not just buy a PC?

And hey - this from a Mac guy. But is this the best Apple can come up with? OSX *not even mentioned* Hrumph.
You dirty, drity little troll.

Have u ever used safari? **** head

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 11:37 PM

There are a number of reasons why, although it depends on the PowerBook you're buying.

First: PowerBooks are generally better as laptops. They get longer battery life, and don't have to be crippled in the process. My 15" PowerBook 867 gets about 3.5 to 4 hours in normal usage, and that's while running at full speed. Can you say the same for that 2 GHz P4 mobile laptop? Not unless you buy an extra battery (assuming you have a second bay to put it in). And a dirty little secret is that P3-M and P4-M chips scale back their clock speed the very moment you're not on AC power. Congratulations, while away from your desk you have a 1.2 GHz P4!

Weight and size are also factors. The heaviest a PowerBook gets is 6.8 pounds, and that's the model with a 17" screen. My own 15" model is 5.4 pounds. How much does that 2 GHz P4 laptop weigh? If it's the Toshiba Satellite 2410, it's 7.5 pounds... for a system with a 15" display and 2.5 hours of battery life. It's also 1.7" thick - not the most convenient for a travel bag, or the most comfortable for typing (where you want your wrists to bend as little as possible). The 1-inch thickness of a 15" or 17" PowerBook is much better from my experience.

You should note that the connectivity options on a PowerBook are more advanced. Firewire? Most Windows laptops don't have it at all, but every PowerBook does. A 17" PowerBook has two - and one of them is a Firewire 800 port, which you probably won't see for awhile on any Windows laptop, period. 802.11g is available or included on the 12" and 17" models (the 15" should get it on its next revision). I have yet to see a Windows laptop that has a DVI video port on it... so there goes full flat-panel display support!

Finally, there are a few conveniences. The greatest one by far is the ability to put the system to sleep simply by closing the lid, and that it wakes up almost instantly when you reopen that lid. If you've ever had to leave or start working in a hurry, you'll appreciate it. I rarely ever have to turn my system off (or reboot it, for that matter). Can't say the same for a Windows laptop. And let's not forget that auto-sensing, backlit keyboard on the 17" model.

In essence: even if you totally discount OS X as a factor (I'll admit that it's not always someone's cup of tea), there are a lot of design elements that can make the PowerBook experience more pleasant.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Orthodoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 11:40 PM

Well, it sounds as though you are trying to talk yourself out of switching. Yes, a PC can do the same things that a Mac can do. The difference is the ease of use, the stability, the "feel" of the operating system, and yes, the beauty and quality of the hardware.

The iapps that are available from Apple are simply the most user friendly, easy to use apps I have seen. And the fact that they are free when you buy a new machine doesn't hurt.

As a previous poster wrote, go to an Apple Store or a CompUSA and try the machines out for yourself. If you are not impressed with the hardware, the iapps, or the ease of use, I would say buy a pc.

I switched almost 1 year ago, and it was the best move I ever made. I am on my second powerbook (I wanted to upgrade) and just ordered the upgraded iMac.

It is easy to get caught up in processor speed, but for the average user, the current chips are plenty fast. I have never sat at my computer thinking "Geez, this is taking too long". Faster processors are great but, for most people, are not neccessary.

Hope this helps.

shiff
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 11:41 PM

I hear this argument all the time and I have to say something. If I paid 1600 for a laptop ; I would fell like I bought a piece of ****. When I price out a windows laptop with all the options I want it comes out to over 2500-2600 from almost any vendor. I have never bought a machine that I do not totally max out in specs. No kids or wife so I have the luxury of doing this right now.. hehe.. Married to my job it seems..

So for me, the mac or the pc cost about exactly the same. I know I am not the only 1 that does this...

I just don't see that they are overpriced...

DaveG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 11:57 PM

Please please please tell your friend to buy a PC, and if you are really a "MAC GUY" then please sell yours and go buy an dell XP machine... PLEASE!!!

XP doesn't crash??? What the hell are you talking about. Windows is the most horrible OS on the planet. Full of security wholes, crippling to performance of a computer. Pick up a PC mag. 99% of the articles are about how to fix your computer, or why it isn't working. They even rate an imac over their own BS.

last I checked your PC didn't run OS X... this is really why people buy a mac. They are buying a computing experience. They are fed up with there windows boxes and want something that works consistently.

I also don't remember XP running iphoto, imovie, itunes, idvd... and please don't tell me how PC's have other apps that can do the same thing because that will just make you look foolish, even the editors of PC mag agree on this fact.

oh yeah... did I mention Final Cut Pro!!!!... now if you even come back with some crap about premiere you deserve to be kicked in the face... or worse yet you deserve to use a PC. I don't mean to sound immature, but please... oh and Avid won't work either both DV xpress and symphony OSX now.

I can't believe I have wasted all this time...

Again... please get a PC!!!
17" PB on the way

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by shiff:
I hear this argument all the time and I have to say something. If I paid 1600 for a laptop ; I would fell like I bought a piece of ****. When I price out a windows laptop with all the options I want it comes out to over 2500-2600 from almost any vendor. I have never bought a machine that I do not totally max out in specs. No kids or wife so I have the luxury of doing this right now.. hehe.. Married to my job it seems..

So for me, the mac or the pc cost about exactly the same. I know I am not the only 1 that does this...

I just don't see that they are overpriced...
Precisely. See that "$899 Dell Laptop" on TV? Righttt...it has a CD-ROM drive. Ok, this isn't 1996. A CD-ROM drive?! You've gotta be joking! No one wants a laptop w/ a lowly CD-ROM drive, and I can't even begin to mention the rest of the low-life components it comes with...you start to add the specs. you'll actually need and want to that bad boy and lo and behold you've just about surpassed the cost of a PowerBook! AND it weighs more, AND it's thicker (less portable all the way around), AND have you ever had major major issues with a Wintel laptop? The desktop's aren't so bad because you can crack the case and investigate if necessary, but I had to sell my Wintel laptop because of the horrid and practically unsolveable driver conflicts and random issues with it. Of course everyone's experience will vary, but as far as price is concerned, Wintel and Apple laptops are basically the same.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 12:12 AM

Three letters: O S X

Of course, that alone isn't the reason. There are many others... Innovative software (iLife for example). User-friendly experience (macs are ideal for people and families that aren't very computer-inclined). Stability of the operating system. I've owned windows machines since college and experienced many many OS crashes at a rate of almost 2 a day. Ever since switching last year, I have not experienced one. I am now on my second mac ... not because I needed one, but because they are so darn cool that rational people like me spend their hard-earned cash so they can have more Apple products. I still keep a windows machine at home running windows XP pro, and even though it's a nice P4 2+ Ghz machine, it mostly collects dust because it's not any fun to use except for the occasional game that isn't available on my macs. iLife... nothing in the windows world comes close to it. Now I sound like an overzealous painfully verbose 'switch' ad -- so you're probably better off going to apple.com and watching the switch movies

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 12:48 AM

Mac laptops over priced? Pff for what you get they're priced just fine, you can get an iBook for much cheaper than most PC notebooks of it's calaber. And there's nothing else in the range of the 12 inch PB to even compare it to.

Apple designs their notebooks well. If you wanna buy one that'll feel cheap for cheap go ahead, I'm gona pay more for my Mac and know I got more.

sonoronos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 01:44 AM

>And a dirty little secret is that P3-M and P4-M chips scale back their clock speed the very moment you're not on AC power. Congratulations, while away from your desk you have a 1.2 GHz P4!

My P4-M laptop hits full speed on battery power all the time.

>The 1-inch thickness of a 15" or 17" PowerBook is much better from my experience.

My 185A5 weighs 6.4 lbs and is 1.2" thick. I do have to admit that the Apple Powerbook's form factor really has a lot going for it. It would be nice to have a 5.4 lbs 1" thick version of this VPR.

> 802.11g is available or included on the 12" and 17" models (the 15" should get it on its next revision).

My laptop has a cover on the bottom that exposes a MiniPCI 802.11b card, and therefore it would be trivial to install a MiniPCI 802.11g card when they are released.

>Finally, there are a few conveniences. The greatest one by far is the ability to put the system to sleep simply by closing the lid, and that it wakes up almost instantly when you reopen that lid.

My windows XP laptop does the same thing. Close, sleep. Open unsleep.

Just being fair. Hope you understand.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 02:41 AM

Actually, Windows XP takes quite a bit longer (about four times longer, actually) to wake up from sleep...

The VPR's mouse buttons feel cheap and are too thin to be useful.

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
PC's crash and generally feel cheap.
Ridiculous cheap shot.

Three of my machines with XPPro have not crashed once.

Can't say the same for OSX

Le Mag

chipchen
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 03:02 AM

user preference. but this helps for those who care about the "GHz" ratings:

www.apple.com/g4/myth

milf
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 10:37 AM

I'm a recent PC->Mac convert and have since had no regrets. About 3 months ago, I was in these forums asking similar questions. Do a search and I'm sure my username will pop up! I purchased the 1Ghz TiBook, but before I did, I also had my concerns:
  1. Why pay so much extra money for a system that I'm not even certain about, when I could buy a Windows machine that I have grown accustom to over the past several years for much less?
  2. Will I enjoy using a Mac, OS X, Mac applications?
  3. 2.4Ghz vs 1.4Ghz!?!?!
  4. etc, etc, etc
Well, I listened to a friend and the posters on this forum and just went for it. This is a decision that the individual buying/using/concerned will have to make for him/herself. Hopefully you'll make the decision that is right for you. I know I did. I'll never buy another PC. I'm happy as a Mac user and I think you will be too. Good luck.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 10:46 AM

Top reasons to buy a Mac:

1. OS X
2. Stability
3. Aesthetic Beauty

Top reasons to buy a Mac laptop:

1. Battery Life
2. Durability (iBooks, especially)
3. That great feeling you get when the guy next to you on the airplane pulls out a nice Vaio and then stares as you open up your Tibook.

Jason

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 10:52 AM

Zurek, when I first read your post I thought my husband had written it! He's always saying that Macs are overpriced, etc. etc. etc. I maintain that if he would ever even give them a chance at all, he'd love Macs. (In fact, he bought the first one; my father died unexpectedly and we took over his.) I've never looked back. When I bought my second Mac desktop, my husband tried to get me to switch, and I really did think about it. And then I realized I just LIKED Macs. I like how, if you put a floppy or a Zip in, voila! The disk shows up on the desktop. You know where it is. You drag things on things -- they open, or copy, or whatever. There's an excitement factor about a new Mac that's totally missing (in my own opinion) from the Windows experience.

My brother was always PC PC PC. Last year he discovered Macs. He's in love...

I will say, though, that I do like the Hears game that comes with Windows. Free cell isn't bad either...

drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 11:59 AM

Overpriced? If you try to config a pc latop that comes even close to the current Apple laptops they will be even more. Considering that there is no 17inch PC laptop on the market so you cant make a comparison. What about a pc with a DVD burner? or Firewire 800? or a pc that looks half as good as and Apple? or a PC thats is as thin as an Apple?

And Lets not forget the most important part, you dont have to run WINDOWS!
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by El Magnificante:
Ridiculous cheap shot.

Three of my machines with XPPro have not crashed once.

Can't say the same for OSX

Le Mag
If your OSX is crashing then you obviously either installed it wrong or are just a dumb ass. I have never crash OSX and I run multiply process intensive apps at once.

I sit right next to IT at work and then get calls all day ffrom people who are having problems with windows, nothing from the OSX users.
i hate project managers.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 12:07 PM

Ask your friends what kind of car they drive. No matter what they say, I'll bet you can find them a cheaper one.

Cheap != Good.

Chris
( Last edited by chabig; Feb 12, 2003 at 12:19 PM. )

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by drainyoo:
If your OSX is crashing then you obviously either installed it wrong or are just a dumb ass. I have never crash OSX and I run multiply process intensive apps at once.

I sit right next to IT at work and then get calls all day ffrom people who are having problems with windows, nothing from the OSX users.
Easy, killer.

My OSX has crashed twice in the past 8 months. I neither installed it wrong nor am a dumb ass.

Anecdotal evidence about which OS crashes more frequently or has more problems isn't contributing to this discussion. The reason that your IT department gets more calls from Windows users may be a direct result of the number of Windows users, not the stability of the operating system.

Jason

drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by jerseyfreeze:
Easy, killer.

My OSX has crashed twice in the past 8 months. I neither installed it wrong nor am a dumb ass.

Anecdotal evidence about which OS crashes more frequently or has more problems isn't contributing to this discussion. The reason that your IT department gets more calls from Windows users may be a direct result of the number of Windows users, not the stability of the operating system.

Jason
Im not saying that OSX never crashes but he made it sound like it crashes more than Windows.

And there are more Macs in teh company then PCs.
i hate project managers.

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 02:54 PM

That is your experience. I am neither a dumb ass (sic) nor did I install OSX incorrectly.

This is a forum where we exchange information and experience. Mine differs from yours. Grow up and accept it. Also, please refrain from name-calling; it brings down the level of the discussion.

Btw, I prefer the Mac.

Le Mag

baglunch
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 03:03 PM

I think these are all absolutely valid and made my choice a lot harder, but for me the real seller is that I will be using it as a portable Final Cut Pro / After Effects work station. Yes windows does run AE, and faster at that, but I really need Final Cut Pro for collaboration work on various projects and no matter what way I look at it Final Cut Pro still isn't available for windows.

bpaulsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 04:20 PM

I think it really depends on your needs. I'm a Unix programmer, so I really needed something that could run a flavor of Unix. Occasionally, I need to run a Microsoft Office tool (such as Powerpoint or Excel). So far, I believe that the Mac is the only system that really allows me to do this.

Up until last year, I was running a 300 MHz Pentium II that dual booted between Windows 98 and Linux. It was a HUGE pain to switch between the two just to run a few Microsoft apps. Other than that, though, the speed seemed like more than enough.

You should figure out what you need a computer for and then buy the right tool for the job. Perhaps instead of deciding between a P4 or a Powerbook, maybe you should consider a P3 and less RAM. Then again, maybe you are doing intensive things and you should get an even more powerful computer.

If you don't need to do anything powerful, I would suggest buying a cheap PC laptop, and then throwing it away and buying something more powerful when you actually need it. You will get a lot more computer for your money that way.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by El Magnificante:
That is your experience. I am neither a dumb ass (sic) nor did I install OSX incorrectly.

This is a forum where we exchange information and experience. Mine differs from yours. Grow up and accept it. Also, please refrain from name-calling; it brings down the level of the discussion.

Btw, I prefer the Mac.

Le Mag
You should heed your own advice and not call my statement a "ridiculous cheap shot."

While you're not exactly insulting anyone directly, I can't help but notice a generally condescending tone about your words.

Grow up.

I, too, have Windows XP machines that are remarkably stable under normal circumstances. However, I was speaking of the notorious PC problem of cluttered, corrupted installations. There is too much freedom for developers to put spyware or the like on your machine, and nothing short of a reformat clears your machine of all the garbage it's accumulated. I know of programs like Ad-aware, but even that can't remove the bar LimeWire adds to the PC contextual menu.

I reinstall my PC's every two months. I can't help but doing so. I haven't had to ever reinstall OS X.

Owlicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 04:57 PM

Well it's funny, I just came across the most convincing reason yet yesterday. I've had my 1 Ghz Superdrive TiBook for a month now (been a mac user all my life though). Yesterday my coworker brought her Dell laptop to work. Her computer came out to over $3000 when all was said and done, mine cost less than that. Now to just look at the 2 things side by side it was hilarious. The dell is about the size of a friggin desktop compared to my TiBook. It's about twice as thick and looks like a 4 year old designed it, not slick at all. Anyways, her computer crashed on her twice while we were at work! Don't tell me XP doesn't screw up. I've realized that after using OS X for over a year now, I rarely even think of my OS. It just works, that's the easiest way to put it. It doesn't crash, I'm not paranoid about losing work or files. It's even hard for me to go back to OS 9 when I have to use it at work. So I would tell your friend to have a look at a PC laptop, and a Mac side by side, then try them both out for a while. It should be no contest.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 05:11 PM

Why?

You'll love it! Pure and simple.

If you go looking for all those little dollar value comparisons then you will find something to whine about. If you just get one and pretend like you didn't spend the money and someone gave it to you, you will find yourself enchanted.

Here is yet another re-post of a wonderful episode I had with my ti-book last week:

"One hour ago, I got back from a cafe work session. I decided to get out of the office to tweak photos...gigs of them.

On a full battery, I opened up 800 MB of pics at once and got them ready for publication. As I did this listenning to i-tunes, I burned 4 CD's.

With a low battery,the machine went to sleep as the 4th CD was about 80% done. I quickly closed the lid and got the batteries switched in less than 15 seconds.

When I opened the lid and it woke up, the CD resumed, the 400MB of photos that added up to a scratch size of 1.2 GB were all still there. The CD verified fine, Faithless was a blowin my ears out and I was STOKED!!!

As for you "Drainyoo"........Wow are you downright abrasive!!! Get some anger manegment therapy, will ya?

...Who in the Heck are you to call anyone a Dumbass??? Must be a city bound-concrete jungle head thing....

Everyone else, have a nice day and enjoy your Macs
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 05:27 PM

God. What an obvious troll.

Simple answer: because your $1600 Wintel laptop will suck a tremendous amount of ass compared to the PowerBook. It won't have nearly the same specs.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 05:29 PM

Lame. You need trolling lessons. I'm not cheap, but I'm good. Give me an email sometime and we'll see if we can't work something out.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by chipchen:
user preference. but this helps for those who care about the "GHz" ratings:

www.apple.com/g4/myth
Please man, I'm a Mac guy like the rest of us, but please do NOT tout Apple's marketing doctrine as an empirical argument. PLEASE. It's well established that Macs aren't as fast as Wintel machines. Macs DO have an edge in laptops, because they don't have a SpeedStep-equivalent throttling CPU speed back when they go to battery power. Yes, SpeedStep can be disabled, forcing full CPU speed all the time, but you can also kiss your battery goodbye right quick.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 05:41 PM

"Troll'n, troll'n, troll'n"

"Keep those posts-a-roll'n"

.........why buy a porche when you can get saleen built mustang for a turd da cost?

....Engineering and pride in ownership my fellow computator!
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Daniel Bayer:
Why?

If you go looking for all those little dollar value comparisons then you will find something to whine about. If you just get one and pretend like you didn't spend the money and someone gave it to you, you will find yourself enchanted.

Here is yet another re-post of a wonderful episode I had with my ti-book last week:

"One hour ago, I got back from a cafe work session. I decided to get out of the office to tweak photos...gigs of them.

On a full battery, I opened up 800 MB of pics at once and got them ready for publication. As I did this listenning to i-tunes, I burned 4 CD's.

With a low battery,the machine went to sleep as the 4th CD was about 80% done. I quickly closed the lid and got the batteries switched in less than 15 seconds.

When I opened the lid and it woke up, the CD resumed, the 400MB of photos that added up to a scratch size of 1.2 GB were all still there. The CD verified fine, Faithless was a blowin my ears out and I was STOKED!!!

As for you "Drainyoo"........Wow are you downright abrasive!!! Get some anger manegment therapy, will ya?

...Who in the Heck are you to call anyone a Dumbass??? Must be a city bound-concrete jungle head thing....

I didnt want to use words like DUMB ASS and seem immature but those were the only words that could explain someone who runs a version of OSX that crashes. Ive tried numerous times to crash OSX and wasnt able to. The OS is rock solid and even a child can use it without crashing it. I dont know, I just didnt like the tone of his words.
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
You should heed your own advice and not call my statement a "ridiculous cheap shot."

While you're not exactly insulting anyone directly, I can't help but notice a generally condescending tone about your words.

Grow up.

I, too, have Windows XP machines that are remarkably stable under normal circumstances. However, I was speaking of the notorious PC problem of cluttered, corrupted installations. There is too much freedom for developers to put spyware or the like on your machine, and nothing short of a reformat clears your machine of all the garbage it's accumulated. I know of programs like Ad-aware, but even that can't remove the bar LimeWire adds to the PC contextual menu.

I reinstall my PC's every two months. I can't help but doing so. I haven't had to ever reinstall OS X.
Thank you sir.
i hate project managers.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 07:47 PM

Don't feed the trolls. It's that simple really.
Am I still here?

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 09:32 PM

Heaven forbid one of the non-annointed Mac lackeys relate an experience which contradicts the party line.

Have fun,

Le Mag

milhous
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Daniel Bayer:
Why?

Cheers to that, that's one of the more subtle things that impresses me about OS X. Although I don't have a burner in my PowerBook, if I'm booting the OS and suddenly my battery dies and goes to sleep, I can simply plug in the adapter or replace the battery and OS X resumes loading! I would bet that you couldn't do that on Windows.

Also, with Mac notebooks, you have an easy means of working with other storage devices. You can boot off of external firewire drives, and you can even drop your Mac into firewire target disk mode so you can recover your files if the disk is about to fail.

Finally, it's kind of disappointing to see that PC's even to this day rely on BIOS while we've had Open Firmware technologies for years. They both do the same job, but Open Firmware is just more flexible and extensible then BIOS will ever be. Plus you don't have to fool around in these hideous BIOS menus. Want to do a BIOS update on a PC? You actually need to create a DOS boot floppy with the ROM image to do it. With Macs you just run the utility and when the system restarts you hold down the developer's button and it proceeds to update.

Sure there are many similarities between the Mac and the PC, but there are some technological aspects that really differentiate the two that I find impressive.
F = ma

form.aat
Feb 13, 2003, 05:34 AM

Why can't you all ever stop arguing over the same, tiresome issue? I just don't get it.....

Just accept that BOTH parties have valid points. I, for one, have seen MacOSX crash on me with the following message displayed in about 20 languages: Please press the Power button for a few seconds to restart the computer. And this with just Mail and IE open.... go figure.

I switched from Windows 2 weeks ago but can't honestly say that my Powerbook is rock stable --- sad but true.

form.aat
Best regards,

form.aat
-------------------------------
jazz infused live electro phunk
-------------------------------

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 13, 2003, 05:41 AM

I didnt want to use words like DUMB ASS and seem immature but those were the only words that could explain someone who runs a version of OSX that crashes. Ive tried numerous times to crash OSX and wasnt able to. The OS is rock solid and even a child can use it without crashing it. I dont know, I just didnt like the tone of his words.
I'm sorry, but OS X can crash even if you aren't a dumbass. Faulty RAM (even if it passes Apple's own hardware tests) seems to cause a lot of stability problems in OS X, for example. I think it is probably better than XP, but not by a lot (they are both relatively crash-proof).

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2003, 08:46 AM

if this thread is just going to be a * contest where specs of pc's and apple's (which by definition are also pc's) are going to be compared it's getting nowhere.

maybe as a recent switcher i'm able to contribute...

i think the most important question is what you want to use your (new) machine for? nobody has said that here but to me that is the most important thing.

eg. if you want to go drag-racing you buy a certain car. if you want to show-off you buy a Jaguar or Daimler...

same with apple.

if you just want to show off MHz'ez or FPS get yourself a nice P4 laptop with XP. if your work requires certain apps that only run under 2000/XP (i leave VPC out of the equation), buy an XP machine.

i think the apple goes well on the things that jerseyfreeze said...
Top reasons to buy a Mac:

1. OS X
2. Stability
3. Aesthetic Beauty

Top reasons to buy a Mac laptop:

1. Battery Life
2. Durability (iBooks, especially)
3. That great feeling you get when the guy next to you on the airplane pulls out a nice Vaio and then stares as you open up your Tibook.

Jason
write down your budget and things you want to get done on them. then just go try them out... if you like one, buy it. if not, get the other.

edit: language revised
( Last edited by mousehouse; Feb 13, 2003 at 08:52 AM. )
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

Forum Links
Forum Rules