Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does 10.2.5 "fix" the Ti's "fan problem?"

Does 10.2.5 "fix" the Ti's "fan problem?"
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2003, 01:44 AM

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic decline in the Ti's fans coming on after updating to 10.2.5?

On battery, I hardly ever hear either fan come on after upgrading. While on AC, the right-fan comes on after about 15 minutes, and the rear fan sometime thereafter, at about the same loudness as before (not all that loud on my Ti Gigabook) - even this is an improvement, since the fans wait longer to start up.

I haven't changed anything else - I've got a gig 'o ram, the superdrive, the stock 60 GB harddrive, on my 1 GHz Ti Book. I'm just really happy that whatever happened with 10.2.5 finally let me enjoy a "silent" Titanium - at least while running on battery!

iBorg

mrmister
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 03:24 AM

Everyone else is too enamored of their AlBooks to notice, but yes--i have also had a decline in my fan activity. When the fans are on, they go off once i finish CPU-intensive procedures...like they are supposed to. It is nice.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2003, 04:35 AM

That'd be great! Fingers crossed. I should be getting mine back this week (one of the problems being looked at was the fan noise), and this will be one of the first things I check. I'll have a go with 10.2.4 (what's on there at the moment) then upgrade to 10.2.5 and see if I can tell the difference.

FWIW they've replaced my logic board and the fan itself, so that may already have fixed it.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:
Has anyone else noticed a dramatic decline in the Ti's fans coming on after updating to 10.2.5?

On battery, I hardly ever hear either fan come on after upgrading. While on AC, the right-fan comes on after about 15 minutes, and the rear fan sometime thereafter, at about the same loudness as before (not all that loud on my Ti Gigabook) - even this is an improvement, since the fans wait longer to start up.

I haven't changed anything else - I've got a gig 'o ram, the superdrive, the stock 60 GB harddrive, on my 1 GHz Ti Book. I'm just really happy that whatever happened with 10.2.5 finally let me enjoy a "silent" Titanium - at least while running on battery!

iBorg
Good to hear that! I didn't notice any difference on my tibook. But I don't think that I have ant fan problem anyway. The right fan comes up pretty often but I barely notice it. When the left one kicks on it's only for a minute or two..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 07:05 AM

Yeah, they've reduced the fan noise a little bit. They've introduced other problems though. My TiBook crashed twice yesterday. Only the second and third time I have had to reboot OS X ever in my using OS X since 10.0.0; the first time coming back during the 10.0.3 days with a kernel panic.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

cambro
Senior User
Apr 15, 2003, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
My TiBook crashed twice yesterday. Only the second and third time I have had to reboot OS X ever in my using OS X since 10.0.0; the first time coming back during the 10.0.3 days with a kernel panic.
Really?? What were you doing when X freaked out?
I've only had one kernel panic in X and that was in 10.0 while my PB was waking from sleep with a classic app open.

Regarding fan noise and 10.2.5, I haven't noticed that much of a difference on my Ghz Ti, but then I never had that much of a fan "issue" before.

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
That'd be great! Fingers crossed. I should be getting mine back this week (one of the problems being looked at was the fan noise), and this will be one of the first things I check. I'll have a go with 10.2.4 (what's on there at the moment) then upgrade to 10.2.5 and see if I can tell the difference.

FWIW they've replaced my logic board and the fan itself, so that may already have fixed it.
Please let us know how your fans operate when you get your Ti back. My logic board was also replaced (screen distortions and freezes), but nothing done with the fans - logic board replacement had no effect on my fans running most of the time, albeit not terribly loudly.

How did you convince Apple to replace a fan, and which one was replaced? (I haven't head of many people getting this done) Could you describe the problem you had with this?

Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with 10.2.5 - it's been stable, reliable, with no kp's or glitches <crosses fingers>

iBorg

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 04:55 AM

Will do - when I actually get the thing back! It's getting a bit silly now with how long I've been waiting (it was supposed to be picked up on the 12th of March!)

I didn't do anything in particular to get the fans replaced, I don't think:

1) Ran the battery down to almost nothing so that the techies would have to plug it in to use it (this always brought the fans on loudly).

2) Left some labelled folders on my machine detailing the problems (Superdrive doesn't work properly, fans too loud, otherwise a very nice machine).

My fingers are crossed that it'll come back quiet, and I'll let you know how it is. FWIW if you remember that Petra got hers back ok - part of that might have to do with the DC-in card that they replaced on hers. As far as I know they haven't replaced that on mine.

Originally posted by iBorg:
Please let us know how your fans operate when you get your Ti back. My logic board was also replaced (screen distortions and freezes), but nothing done with the fans - logic board replacement had no effect on my fans running most of the time, albeit not terribly loudly.

How did you convince Apple to replace a fan, and which one was replaced? (I haven't head of many people getting this done) Could you describe the problem you had with this?

Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with 10.2.5 - it's been stable, reliable, with no kp's or glitches <crosses fingers>

iBorg

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 06:49 AM

I have just got my TiBook, and I cannot notice the fans at any point - on AC or not, and I work in quite quiet environments. Oh and I've got 10.2.5

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by threestain:
I have just got my TiBook, and I cannot notice the fans at any point - on AC or not, and I work in quite quiet environments. Oh and I've got 10.2.5
At all?? even the right fan? this one is pretty quiet and hard to notice in a normal environment...

todrain
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 07:43 AM

I think I've noticed that the fans don't run quite as much in 10.2.5, but then they never really did bother me much (as I said in other threads, use a PC laptop, and then compare to the TI... even with the fans blasting, the Ti isn't as loud)

russell_w
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 03:35 PM

Check this out:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/41

Simple, almost-risk free fix. The heat on my 1Ghz Tibook went down drastically, which resulted in the fan being on much less. I upated to 10.2.5 almost 2 weeks later, still running ok.

At its hottest, my TiBook temp was 112 F, now it's around 80 F. I use a Podium CoolPad and a LapPad from macsales.com. When plugged in, the adapter was about 110 F, I haven't measured that since the fix, but it is *much* cooler.

Russell

hsvgoku
Apr 16, 2003, 05:15 PM

Hmm...mine is quiet when its on battery but abit noisier when its running through the direct power.

johntownsend
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by russell_w:
Check this out:

Simple, almost-risk free fix. The heat on my 1Ghz Tibook went down drastically, which resulted in the fan being on much less. I upated to 10.2.5 almost 2 weeks later, still running ok.

At its hottest, my TiBook temp was 112 F, now it's around 80 F. I use a Podium CoolPad and a LapPad from macsales.com. When plugged in, the adapter was about 110 F, I haven't measured that since the fix, but it is *much* cooler.

Russell

How are you checking the temp of your TiBook?

--> towns

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 05:46 PM

Will do - when I actually get the thing back! It's getting a bit silly now with how long I've been waiting (it was supposed to be picked up on the 12th of March!)

1) Ran the battery down to almost nothing so that the techies would have to plug it in to use it (this always brought the fans on loudly).

2) Left some labelled folders on my machine detailing the problems (Superdrive doesn't work properly, fans too loud, otherwise a very nice machine).

My fingers are crossed that it'll come back quiet, and I'll let you know how it is. FWIW if you remember that Petra got hers back ok - part of that might have to do with the DC-in card that they replaced on hers. As far as I know they haven't replaced that on mine.
Well let me tell you this... I had a perfectly silent 1 GHz TiBook for 3 months. The fan almost NEVER came on. I sent it in for a repair of my display, and when it came back the fans are almost always on!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2003, 10:48 PM

X.2.5 doesn't seem to do anything at all for the "fan problem", at least with my TiBook.

As I post this, the fan is blowing away quite loudly... hence I will not change my sig.

Rinpoche
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 11:38 PM

fans are the same with 10.2.5

inEarNest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 12:13 AM

My fan(s) (TiGigaBook/SD) kick in at least 15-20 minutes later than pre-10.2.5 on processor-intensive programs, and they go off much sooner after I'm done with those programs.

Working in Photoshop w/iTunes running, AC plugged in--AC fan (right side) would start after about 5 minutes, followed closely by the rear fan. Tonight, after 10.2.5 install, same programs, same room temp., same surface...23 minutes to kick right fan on, and another 10 for the rear fan.

When I shut down the programs after heavy use, rear fan shut down after 4 miniutes, and right fan at 8 minutes--still plugged in.

I think it made a difference on mine, unless I've completely missed a factor that could've changed things.

No other problems in 10.2.5, either. We'll see...I'll keep close watch on the fan issue with mine.

-sae
"Oh, I get it...It's very clever. How's that working out for you...being clever?"

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by russell_w:
Check this out:

Russell
What if there is no com.apple.PowerManagement.xml file?
I did run the command and nothing happened I looked into the folder SystemConfiguration and there was no file!?!
Something wrong with that?

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2003, 01:37 PM

Well the fan is a lot better than my HP laptop. witch gets very hot compared to the powerbook. The fan in my HP is in the back so its not that bad heat wise but its loud. SInce the sound sux Its hard to hear the music or what ever it is with the fan on. Thats how loud my pc laptop is. Soon as I get my Power book I will compair. ITs even louder than my Ibook.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 17, 2003, 08:59 PM

A definite change in my fans. Just doing Safari browsing while plugged in and charging, the AC fan would kick in after about 5 minutes and run til the battery was topped off (sometimes). Today, it took about 20 minutes for it to kick in during a charge while browsing and shut off when I was charged up to 85%. I've never really had a problem with the rear fan as it only really ever comes on when I'm kicking the crap out of the book doing something intensive.

Oh, also this is done while it sits on my lap so there's little airflow to cool it off, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules