Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple to Make New Product Announcement April 28

Apple to Make New Product Announcement April 28
porsche993
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2003, 09:52 AM

At MacWorld this morning:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...21/appleevent/

Let the speculation begin....

sean

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 09:55 AM

"Music to your ears" = New iPod, maybe new Apple music service, and probably iTunes4.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
"Music to your ears" = New iPod, maybe new Apple music service, and probably iTunes4.
What?!?! You mean "Music to Your Ears" doesn't mean a 15.4" aluminum PowerBook launch?

Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by morlium:
What?!?! You mean "Music to Your Ears" doesn't mean a 15.4" aluminum PowerBook launch?

Hah, I've said it before...those 15" AlBooks are a longgg ways off. September 2003 at the earliest.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

todrain
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 01:31 PM

Maybe the sound of dropping Aluminum?

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by todrain:
Maybe the sound of dropping Aluminum?
or a new Al iPod

javabeans
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2003, 07:33 PM

Man I so want to cancel my 17" PB & iPod order and wait until 4/28 to see if I can get any new toys...
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by javabeans:
Man I so want to cancel my 17" PB & iPod order and wait until 4/28 to see if I can get any new toys...
you should just to be on the safe side.....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

javabeans
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by RMXO:
you should just to be on the safe side.....
Yeah...I should only that this is my first Mac ever and I hate to wait any longer...
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2003, 08:17 PM

Assassyn, you say that like a person with inside knowledge. Do you _know_ it, or is that a guess?

Hah, I've said it before...those 15" AlBooks are a longgg ways off. September 2003 at the earliest.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 08:53 PM

Whatever it may be, I'm not getting my hopes up. With my luck since the 17" stress, I'll order the new iPod in May and get it for Christmas! I've been holding off on buying on since February cuz of the rumors of a new one...

javabeans
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2003, 08:55 PM

Just went and check my order status and it's not available. I got a message saying that my order status is not available...please check back later....hm... does that mean they're processing my order? I'm getting excited...
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2003, 09:18 PM

I'm guessing a new iPod, or maybe this long-rumored music service. iTunes 4 may be introduced to manage content from the new service.

I agree with AssasyN, the 15" AlBook is a long ways off. And it's not going to be '15.4"', that would be stupid. The high-res screens in the 667/800/1G line was wonderful, and I see no reason for apple to go with a marginally larger, lower-res display.

Anyway, I will be putting a little money aside each week from now, because a new 40GB iPod might be worthy of my money, because there are some CDs I would like to have in AIFF format, and that would leave my 20GB feeling pretty tight.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Assassyn, you say that like a person with inside knowledge. Do you _know_ it, or is that a guess?
Nah, no insiders knowledge, but it's just a highly reasonable business derived guess. Apple's 17" PBs haven't hit mainstream until mid-April, and they cannot update the 15" PBs specs (proc., HD, system bus, etc.) until they can do the same for the 17" PB, b/c remember, the 17" PB must always be the "high-end" machine regardless. Thus, they hafta wait on the 17" PBs due time to get a revision before updating the 15" PB. It's a waste of money to plop the same components in the current 15" TiBook into an aluminum casing; you won't see an updated 15" PowerBook until you see a revised 17" PowerBook.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Sakino
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 12:11 AM

Nah, no insiders knowledge, but it's just a highly reasonable business derived guess. Apple's 17" PBs haven't hit mainstream until mid-April, and they cannot update the 15" PBs specs (proc., HD, system bus, etc.) until they can do the same for the 17" PB, b/c remember, the 17" PB must always be the "high-end" machine regardless. Thus, they hafta wait on the 17" PBs due time to get a revision before updating the 15" PB. It's a waste of money to plop the same components in the current 15" TiBook into an aluminum casing; you won't see an updated 15" PowerBook until you see a revised 17" PowerBook.
I would hope its before most college students return to college. Thats the main reason I plan on waiting for the new 15" pb. It would be a wise to release it this summer. Not september so we can get it in Decemeber

hsvgoku
Apr 22, 2003, 12:13 AM

We'll all know what it will be on the 28th

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Sakino:
I would hope its before most college students return to college. Thats the main reason I plan on waiting for the new 15" pb. It would be a wise to release it this summer. Not september so we can get it in Decemeber
Not gonna happen...new 15" PBs won't be released with nicer components than those found in their "high-end" 17" PB, it just will not happen. Both the current 15" TiBook and the 17" PB are at 1Ghz, and there's no way Apple will let their "mid-range" notebook outdo their "high-end" notebook. The 17" PB won't be due a revision until late August/September at the earliset, and you won't see new 15" PBs 'til then either.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 01:50 AM

Right. It simply wouldn't make sense to upgrade the 15" before the 17". This fall, and the absolute earliest. The original Ti lasted a year, so it's not out of the question to not see one until next MWSF (if such a show is even going to happen - I was planning on going ONE last time next year, it will be a major bummer if I can't). So, no new 15" until fall, earliest.

swsteckly and AssasyN have got the brain cells goin' ON, yo!

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 05:54 AM

I bet it's the new iPods.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Tiny-E
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 07:12 AM

Why are we talking about new Al 15" pbs? For that matter, why is this thread in the powerbook section when it cleary should belong to the peripherals as the announcement on April 28 has to do with music, ie. new ipod, new music service?

Must stop talking about new theoretical 15" pbs guys. There's just no reason to be speculating on it when it's soooo far off (plus reading these damn posts are making me dream of a new damn pb , but I do love my old ti... )

mc786030
Apr 22, 2003, 08:14 AM

my guess:

1) new 40gb ipod, price drop for 10gb and 20gb models
2) new mouse and keyboard, bluetooth maybe?

prolly more stuff, but thats all i can think of

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 02:21 PM

I would think that new iPods, if they keep the same design, would come in 10, 20 and 40 GB models. That would go a long with the 5GB being no longer available from apple. The 5GB has kind of been the one that 'didn't fit', with the mechanical scroll wheel, no remote, etc.

I kind of doubt a redesign, though. Especially not if they are announcing this music service thing, because that would kind of steal the spotlight. You never know with apple, though.

I know I'm looking forward to next monday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules