Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Bargin Hunters- Check Target

iPod Bargin Hunters- Check Target
Paco500
Professional Poster
May 23, 2003, 09:19 AM

I was under the impression that Target was sold out of iPods, but I was at the local store last night (Reston, VA) and they had a 10GB Mac iPod (old style, but new in box) for $199. They 12 yr old behind the counter said it just showed up and they may get a few more. I bought it for my brother who has been coveting mine, but I'd call around if your looking for one.

The kid told me Target stopped carrying them because "Mac opened their own stores and that made prices fall and the other stores got all pissed off and stuff." So the predatory behavior of the evil corporate "Mac" could lead to your gain!

But in all seriousness, I do understand Target getting all pissed off and stuff.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 23, 2003, 09:24 AM

Also check Best Buy...my local one has lots of old style 10gig iPods for $199 and 20gig iPods for $299.

I got my 2nd gen. iPod from Target, great deal
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2003, 09:24 AM

Damn Mac! (or perhaps I should say "MAC"?

$199 is a great price for a 10GB iPod. Maybe I should tell my family to be on the lookout...

cambro
Senior User
May 23, 2003, 02:04 PM

I can confirm the Target pricing in Ohio. I stopped by just for fun to see if it is "true." You have to ask the sales people because they keep them under the desk. But, when I asked they revealed a 10 giger for $199! Nice little deal.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2003, 12:59 AM

Same in Minnesota! I heard about $199 10GB iPods, and at that price, found 4 separate Target stores, each with 1 single 10GB! Since I was looking for these for family members, I bought all 4 of them, and gave early Christmas presents this past week to 3 of my family (and kept 1 for myself!) - now I have 2 happy teenageers, and 1 happy wife, iPoding happily away.......

Now, I'm thinking about looking for a BestBuy $299 20GB iPods......

iBorg

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 24, 2003, 10:28 AM

I checked my two local Targets a few weeks back and no iPods to be found. The "team member" at one store told me that Target was going to start carrying iPods again, though -- he said he had just heard it that morning. I don't know if I believe that or not, but he even showed me where they would be displayed!

malemutekid
May 24, 2003, 10:37 AM

I've been checking my two Target stores in Knoxville,Tn and bugging the electronic guy to check and see if they have any. None. But in their display for mp3 players it says the iPod is coming in July.
Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Duo
Forum Regular
May 24, 2003, 04:55 PM

I went to my local target and bestbuy and they had no old ones. The target didn't even have the mew ones. I did however pick up a 15gig ipod and I am loving it. Haven't played around with it much, just transfered all my mp3's to it, 6.64gigs in 5 minutes.

Duo

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2003, 05:30 PM

Just finished calling all EIGHT (!!) Target stores in my general area (Richmond, VA) and none of them have them in stock.

I was told that they will be carrying the new models sometime in July. Which seems kind of strange to me, considering the whole contract dispute with Apple and also since Best Buy and CompUSA are carrying the new models NOW.

Oh well.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2003, 05:39 PM

OK, just called the Williamsburg store and one in Fairfax (which is about 100 miles north of me!). So that brings my total up to 10. Yes, I am obsessed with getting a good deal.

Sadly though, nothing.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 24, 2003, 05:46 PM

If ya feel like a good drive, the Best Buy in Greenville, NC has 10gig iPods for $199 and 20gig iPods for $299, lots of them.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 24, 2003, 06:11 PM

this seems like a really good deal for people who don't have the cash for a new one...

and (off topic, sorry) but nice signature malemutekid

catzilla1228
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2003, 06:19 PM

The Smithfield, RI Target had one 10GB Mac iPod for $199 as of last night.

malemutekid
May 24, 2003, 09:53 PM

I have called all my other "local" area Target store and they are all out. However, Best Buy had 3 2nd generation 10GB, BUT they were still selling them for $399. And they were right next to the new 3rd generation 10GB which were priced at their usual $299. Pissers!

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2003, 10:23 PM

Nice drive indeed. Greenville, NC is about 3.5 hours from Richmond.

I think I'll just keep the 5GB model that I already have... even though I want to get rid of the mechanical scroll wheel, oh well.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by malemutekid:
I've been checking my two Target stores in Knoxville,Tn and bugging the electronic guy to check and see if they have any. None. But in their display for mp3 players it says the iPod is coming in July.
DUDE! Go to Best Buy next to the WynnSong 16! I bought a 10GB iPod there today for $199 and they still had 3 left. They're in the display case on the bottom righthand side. Heh, the guys working there didn't even know they were on closeout.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

malemutekid
May 25, 2003, 01:25 PM

Thanks to Ebay, working a some extra hours, and the best tip from a fellow macnner; I now own a 10GB Ipod 2nd gen. I love it and am very happy. I went back to Best Buy this morning and picked it up for 199.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2003, 03:27 PM

More than happy to be of service.

You never can go by the displayed prices in those places. The people working there are either clueless or seldom update the price plaques (lazy buggers). I'm always carrying things up to the Service desk and getting them to do price checks. I've gotten some amazing deals that way.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 25, 2003, 04:12 PM

CONGRATS! You got yourself a killer deal! Did you see how many they had left after you got yours?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 04:28 PM

if any of you are selling a 5 gig iPod i am interested.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
if any of you are selling a 5 gig iPod i am interested.
I think posting this in one thread would have been sufficient.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I think posting this in one thread would have been sufficient.
or maybe not.

funkboy
Professional Poster
May 25, 2003, 07:53 PM

I just called my Target and they said they'll be getting iPods in in July... I wonder if we'll see even newer ones then? Weird that they'd wait a month and a half before carrying them... quite odd.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
May 25, 2003, 08:37 PM

Does anyone know of any Target or Best Buy stores in northern California that have iPods at this price? I've already made the rounds of all the stores closest to me. The Targets don't have anything. Some of the Best Buys have the older ones but at the same prices as the new ones and they wont lower the price because they aren't allowed to sell below their cost of $279.

At Target I also heard about getting "new iPods" in July. It truly is strange that there would be such a delay but it's equally hard to believe that any new models are planned by that time.

malemutekid
May 26, 2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
CONGRATS! You got yourself a killer deal! Did you see how many they had left after you got yours?
There were two left.

bstieritz
May 26, 2003, 04:21 PM

Anyone looking for an ipod deal should check out "MicroCenter." I picked up my 2nd generation ipod for $199.00 about three weeks ago and it kicks butt.

I had originally stumbled upon the Target deal for $199 but it was on the display model (with no software, case, manual, etc.) and the battery was not holding a very good charge . . . but, hey, I was desperate. And, when I saw they had a few left at Microcenter for the same price (new in box), I returned the piece of shite display model to Target and jumped on the new one!!

I have to say, I've enjoyed the ipod so much more knowing that I got a great deal on it. And, to think I was ready to pay $400 for it a few weeks prior to the announcement of the 3rd generation release!!

I wish everyone luck in finding a sweet deal just like I did.

cheers,
brian

webb3201
Senior User
May 27, 2003, 03:25 PM

durn, I went to every Target, Bestbuy and Microcenter in Dallas with no joy. Oh well, 5gb is plenty of space.

k
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

benb
May 27, 2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
or maybe not.
Probably posting one thread in the marketplace would have been sufficient though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules