Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > mail sometimes ask fop passwords

mail sometimes ask fop passwords
CandyMaffia
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2003, 06:38 AM

hello everyone..

sometimes my mail ask for the password for the acounts, and sometimes not... why is he like that?? i have clicked on the 'remember my password' but he ask me perhaps once a week... what can i do?? that's not so fun when you don't have the passwords in your hand..

p�ter
imac g5 20" isight ed. user with ipod shuffle, ibook g3 700mhz, nokia 6680, canon cp3200

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2003, 10:31 AM

P�ter,

I think it just does that sometimes. I see the same thing. Perhaps the new Mail program in Panther will fix it.

Chris

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2003, 12:09 PM

If your password is rejected by the server, it prompts you (in case you mistyped it or something, or perhaps you changed it... if it got the password from the keychain i don't think it should really do this, it's probably just the server being screwy).

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2003, 12:21 PM

You're right, but my password is from the KeyChain and it still rejects me sometime. I agree this is probably a server problem.

However, I have also set Mail not to automatically check for messages. It's supposed to only check when I tell it to manually. Yet it still checks automatically sometimes. I know because it'll ask for my keychain password, or new mail will just appear in my inbox.

I also have only setup two mail accounts. Sometimes when the server rejects the password, it will ask for password for an old account that I no longer use and is no longer set up in preferences. I should probably delete the mail plist, but I haven't found the problem annoying enough yet to want to reenter my account information.

Chris

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 12:27 PM

My mail app doesn't ask for my password but asks for permission to read my keychain password. I don't see it that often because I never restart my mac or quit mail, but it's still annoying...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
My mail app doesn't ask for my password but asks for permission to read my keychain password. I don't see it that often because I never restart my mac or quit mail, but it's still annoying...
That will happen with system updates. It's part of the security built into Keychain. It can recognize when an app has been modified.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules