Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > problems formating a firewire drive

problems formating a firewire drive
prolix
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2003, 08:58 PM

I just bought an external firewire chasis for one of my drives. I tossed an 80gig drive in there and it was working fine. I had it hooked to a pc, formatted it numerous times, had a lot of stuff transferred onto it. So I decided to use it on my powerbook and format it macos extended

for whatever reason disk utilities will not initialize this drive. i tried just a clean format, didn't do anything. i used the partition tool to repartition and format and all i get is a little window that sits and says'preparing drive... umounting old volumes'. thats all it does, it sits and sits and sits and i give up and force quit

so i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or is there some other way that i'm supposed to format an external drive? like i said, this worked fine on a pc, even worked fine on this powerbook when i had it as a fat32 drive, but i want to make it my mac-only storage and can't seem to get my powerbook to initialize it

here is the drive case i have: http://www.firewiremax.com/35ulclearfir.html, i'm using a ibm 80 gig drive in it. i have noticed that if i leave it connected to my mac it tends to disconnect itself, and macos yells at me saying the drive was not properly unmounted. the led's change from blue to purple then to red on teh case, not sure what thats about. wondering if i have a bad drive chasis or something...

thanks!
( Last edited by prolix; Jul 2, 2003 at 09:39 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules