Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > SCSI vs. IDE

SCSI vs. IDE
bojangles
Senior User
Jul 29, 2003, 05:08 PM

I have a Rev.B beige G3/266 with a Western Digital 80GB ATA/100 HD (7200rpm). I’ve obviously had to partition the drive to get Jag on it—7.99GB for Jag/Classic and most app’s, 1GB for a swap disk, 10GB for extra app’s, and the remainder for files—but it’s surprisingly quick and ridiculously stable.

I now have an opportunity to get a Seagate ST19171WC 9.1GB SCSI drive (also 7200rpm) for $7.99 (although the 80–to–50-pin adapter will probably be another $14.95). So my question is simple: is it worth it? How would the performance of this drive compare to the one I have now? (The new one would be partitioned into 7.99GB for Jag and the remainder for swap.) Also, since my bays are already full, how would transferring the 80GB drive into a Firewire enclosure affect the access speed for my additional app’s and files? For that matter, how would iTunes do with ripping to my now-external drive?

Thanks in advance!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 05:05 PM

Anyone�?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

billybob128
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 06:17 PM

ok so in plain english you want to swap an 80GB HD for a 9.1GB HD ... ... why?

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 07:38 PM

As I said, I was wondering if it would be a faster setup to have a 9.1GB SCSI as my boot disk and the 80GB as an external Firewire drive. (I can only use the first 8GB of any drive as the boot partition, anyway.) If it’s not faster, no big deal; I’m basically happy with what I’ve got, and Panther’s supposed to speed up G3s significantly, anyway.

So� Any suggestions?
—Abraham Lincoln

catzilla1228
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2003, 03:12 AM

Are using an ATA card?
The SCSI drives don't share the 1st 8GB limitation, they can be as large as you like.

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 07:26 AM

Whoa� If SCSI drives can be as big as you like, that alone might be good reason to get one (probably a low-priced 18.2GB).

As for my ATA/100, no, I’m not using a card; just the onboard connector.

Thanks!
—Abraham Lincoln

bmacsys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2003, 08:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bojangles:
[B]I have a Rev.B beige G3/266 with a Western Digital 80GB ATA/100 HD (7200rpm). I’ve obviously had to partition the drive to get Jag on it—7.99GB for Jag/Classic and most app’s, 1GB for a swap disk, 10GB for extra app’s, and the remainder for files—but it’s surprisingly quick and ridiculously stable.

I now have an opportunity to get a Seagate ST19171WC 9.1GB SCSI drive (also 7200rpm) for $7.99 (although the 80–to–50-pin adapter will probably be another $14.95). So my question is simple: is it worth it?

No, its not worth it. The motherboard scsi on the beige G3's is a pitiful 5 MB per second. The IDE controller is 16.67 MB per sec. Only worth it if you like slower, smaller, hotter and noisier.
Tomorrow Never knows
John Lennon

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Aug 14, 2003, 07:09 AM

Wow, good to know about the SCSI speed. I kinda figured that was why my zip drive is so slow!

Thanks so much!
—Abraham Lincoln

Forum Links
Forum Rules