Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The truth hurts.. but at least it's the truth (just a thought about chat rooms)

The truth hurts.. but at least it's the truth (just a thought about chat rooms)
Link
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 09:50 AM

Yes.. The truth hurts.

Today I was starting to get upset in this one room I usually hang out in as someone decided to play me off in an annoying way. :shrug: so anyway later on I was questioning things..

Eventually it got to the point where I asked some of the regulars who knew me well what most people would probably think if I just dissapeared... honestly.

"they probably don't give a damn".

which reminded me of the days I had AOL, and twice.. i dissapeared for a while, each time when i came back i'd check the regs and people I had seen before.. they must have remembered me!

They didn't.

and so that leaves me to believe chatrooms are a lost cause... nobody ever really give a damn about your existence.. and while at least on forums both your bad and good things always stick with you...

in chat this doesn't happen.. most people have a memory the size of their buffer and when it goes off their screen it goes off their mind. Turns out my hours upon weeks upon months, and upon perhaps even years of spending time in chat rooms, helping people out, etc... has done nothing at all for me but bring me problems with people and moderators, and at the same time I help so many people.. and get absolutely nothing in return.

basically it's a waste of time. If I dissapeared from the forums it would still probably linger in people's minds for a while what exactly happened to me.. for a second.. but on chat.. people don't even question this.. even when you've been around since the begining.

Point: Unless you're special.. or a mod.. you're wasting your time.. the people who you come to help and make friends with could care less.

And that's the truth. The sad truth I must face today.
Aloha

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 09:58 AM

Sorry, guy, but maybe you need an antidepressant or two? I'm not trying to be flippant -- I'm serious.

I don't know about other people, but I only come here for entertainment purposes. I could stop posting tomorrow and not worry about it and I doubt very much anyone would notice (or care) if I wasn't posting any longer. If I became worried that perfectly anonymous strangers on the internet might not "miss me" if I stopped posting, then I'd have to sign myself up for antidepressants.

The only other reason I post is for answers to a technical question that others would have information about.

It's only the internet, not real life.

-Q-
Aug 24, 2003, 09:59 AM

I'm sorry...who are you again?

It's the way of the online world. Although I've made some good friends online, it can't replace real people yet. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 24, 2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Link:
the people who you come to help and make friends with could care less.
could? COULD!? so, they actually could care less about you? if they tried?

it's COULDN'T CARE LESS, for f*cks sake!

could: gives the option to care more, if so desired, indicating you might still care enough about the person
couldn't: gives no option whatsoever, indicating you could not possibly care any less than you already do, because there's no more to care about

christ, i wish you lot would rename your language to American, instead of mistakenly calling it English!

at least have the decency to learn it properly, if you're going to insist on calling it English!!!
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 02:30 PM

philzilla:

Not all of us are idiots with English language...calm down, guy!

In fact, maybe he's not even really an American?

Anyway, I just had lightning hit my house and an electrical surge went through my computer and shocked me -- my hand is still numb.

Odd, the computer (Sony VAIO notebook) was not damaged -- but blue sparks flew across the keyboard when it happened and everyone saw it.

Frightening lightning!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2003, 02:38 PM

If your sense of self-worth is being driven by your status in chat rooms, then you've got a more serious problem than you think. Anyone who really worries seriously about how "popular" they are in places like this has a fresh-air deficit of the highest order.

I hang out here because it's fun, and there's some good humor and comraderie, but I don't mistake these things for real friendship. I don't know you all from Adam and in most cases, it would be best to keep it that way.

Now, engage the exit portal on your domicile and interface with some biological units.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
christ, i wish you lot would rename your language to American, instead of mistakenly calling it English!

at least have the decency to learn it properly, if you're going to insist on calling it English!!!
Hey, some of us over here know the difference between could and couldn't and also find it annoying when used incorrectly. But I agree, it should just be called American. We're so full of ourselves anyway. Most people already think that's what we speak.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 03:11 PM

Yes.. The truth hurts.

Today I was starting to get upset in this one room I usually hang out in as someone decided to play me off in an annoying way. :shrug: so anyway later on I was questioning things..

Eventually it got to the point where I asked some of the regulars who knew me well what most people would probably think if I just dissapeared... honestly.

"they probably don't give a damn".

which reminded me of the days I had AOL, and twice.. i dissapeared for a while, each time when i came back i'd check the regs and people I had seen before.. they must have remembered me!

They didn't.

and so that leaves me to believe chatrooms are a lost cause... nobody ever really give a damn about your existence.. and while at least on forums both your bad and good things always stick with you...

in chat this doesn't happen.. most people have a memory the size of their buffer and when it goes off their screen it goes off their mind. Turns out my hours upon weeks upon months, and upon perhaps even years of spending time in chat rooms, helping people out, etc... has done nothing at all for me but bring me problems with people and moderators, and at the same time I help so many people.. and get absolutely nothing in return.

basically it's a waste of time. If I dissapeared from the forums it would still probably linger in people's minds for a while what exactly happened to me.. for a second.. but on chat.. people don't even question this.. even when you've been around since the begining.

Point: Unless you're special.. or a mod.. you're wasting your time.. the people who you come to help and make friends with could care less.

And that's the truth. The sad truth I must face today.
MacZealot: Serving MacNN with pure garbage since 2001!

Funny, I get the same impression whenever I visit #macnn. But then, I guess that's what happens when most of the others visitors are 12 years old.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 03:47 PM

Turns out my hours upon weeks upon months, and upon perhaps even years of spending time in chat rooms, helping people out, etc... has done nothing at all for me but bring me problems with people and moderators, and at the same time I help so many people.. and get absolutely nothing in return.
Spend the same amount of time volunteering at a local hospital and you'll get plenty in return (maybe even some of the satisfaction that seems you're looking for).

christ
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 04:19 PM

...christ, i wish you lot would rename your language to American, instead of mistakenly calling it English!...
What has this got to do with me? I speak, and type, English, and I agree with your post. Don't pick on me.

Or did you mean the guy with the capital 'C'?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 24, 2003, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by christ:
What has this got to do with me? I speak, and type, English, and I agree with your post. Don't pick on me.

bugger. sorry, dude. i didn't mean to take your name in vain. i hope you can forgive me?

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2003, 04:34 PM

I think he meant the expression "Christ", as in "Jesus Christ!"

Link, I think you should put more effort into your "real" life and you'll feel better about yourself.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 24, 2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by brown monk:
does anyone else find it funny that a monk came to christ's rescue?
Link, I think you should put more effort into your "real" life and you'll feel better about yourself.
he HAS no real life. that's how he always racks up so many posts with one name, annoys people to death, then gets a new name.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by :XI::

Funny, I get the same impression whenever I visit #macnn. But then, I guess that's what happens when most of the others visitors are 12 years old.
I am not 12!

-Owl

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2003, 05:00 PM

seeing as i am one of JoeG4's arch enemies, i have to say that i will never diss on this guy ever again.

this post was so sad and pathetic that i am almost on the verge of tears (until i started cracking up at philz' rant )

Cipher13
Aug 24, 2003, 05:20 PM

could? COULD!? so, they actually could care less about you? if they tried?

it's COULDN'T CARE LESS, for f*cks sake!

could: gives the option to care more, if so desired, indicating you might still care enough about the person
couldn't: gives no option whatsoever, indicating you could not possibly care any less than you already do, because there's no more to care about

**** YES.

It makes me fscking LIVID when people say "I could care less".

"Oh, you could? Great!"

It pisses me off even more than double negatives.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2003, 05:49 PM

You ain�t heard nothin� yet.
I could care less, but I couldn't care more.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
I am not 12!

-Owl
I said 'most' not 'all' besides, you're not often in there the same time I am. I must join when all school kids get off.

todrain
Senior User
Aug 24, 2003, 07:02 PM

I think with the numbe of chat rooms and boards today, people's posts do tend to get lost.

I have a few friends that I still talk to on a semi-regular basis that I had meet on AOL, but then again, that was the early 90s, before the internet was full of "sick" people.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 08:00 PM

Link, you should try making more of an impression if you want people to remember you. Post/chat often, and let people know you have a unique, politically-incorrect (just my preference) point of view. Then either make a good impression, or a bad one, but either way you'll be remembered. Take Ca$h for example, he's as you said, "special" because he takes a unique standpoint that conflicts with a lot of people's viewpoints. Therefore he is remembered.

I honestly don't know who you are, but maybe that's also because you registered in 2003. Either way, speak-up, and don't go with the flow.

Cipher13
Aug 24, 2003, 08:05 PM

Joe, you're an idiot.

Of course nobody remembers you.

You change your freakin' name three times a year.

Come on. JoeG4, MacZealot, Link.

WTF do you expect? Use your head. Christ.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Joe, you're an idiot.

have some sympathy ciph,

don't you realize that while you and me have rich lives with up and downs and new experiences on a daily basis, this kid has a truly sad and lonely existence where his only human interaction is with strangers on the internet? to make it worse, the people he does talk to online either dont remember him or dont like him?!?!

leave him alone man

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 08:36 PM

roflmao *adds more to it* *banging the floor laughing*

I can't believe I wrote this.. and the replies are funnier ^_^
Aloha

itistoday
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 09:29 PM

Joe, you're an idiot.

Wait a minute... Link is JoeG4??? Don't sweat it Link! I remember you then. I forgot your posts but I remember you. Since you got it into your head to change names so much, why don't you leave the previous ones in your sig?
Example:
Link: Formally known as JoeG4 and MacZealot, is out to get you! Stay tuned, for Duffman is herrrreeee. Drink Duff responsibly.

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 09:30 PM

lol I do that.. usually.. but people don't pay much attention :shrug: I'll make it more obvious ^_^
Aloha

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2003, 09:38 PM

Oh the humanity
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2003, 09:49 PM

Good grief.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2003, 07:31 AM

good gravy
ice

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2003, 09:14 AM

Well, it could be worse. You could be Superchi[k]en.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 09:15 AM

Good goggles.

christ
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2003, 10:59 AM

Ayuh - I got that. I was just tickled that a member of the grammar police doesn't know how or when to capitalize. But I am easily amused.

Originally posted by Cipher:
... Use your head. Christ
Now that is how it is done.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 11:49 AM

**** YES.

It makes me fscking LIVID when people say "I could care less".

"Oh, you could? Great!"

It pisses me off even more than double negatives.
"Irregardless of your opinion, of which I could care less, I couldn't hardly think that most people realize what they're doing. For all intensive purposes, the way most people speak reflects their intelligence (or lack thereof)."

(I completely agree with you -- I threw in one of my pet peeves as well for good measure -- hey people it's "For All Intents and Purposes!")

A quote...

"Now if you use a double negative to mean �no� in formal speaking or writing, you run the risk of being considered an ignoramus." -- The American Heritage� Book of English Usage
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 25, 2003, 11:53 AM

Ayuh - I got that. I was just tickled that a member of the grammar police doesn't know how or when to capitalize. But I am easily amused.
i do. i just don't bother. and it's capitalise

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 25, 2003, 12:19 PM

(180KB MP3)

Forum Links
Forum Rules